PDA

View Full Version : Private airfield permission.

sleepyrascal
12th Sep 2010, 13:59
Hi there.

Does anyone know of any chat on here regarding building a private airstrip? I'm trying to do some research on it and so far, as I suspected, the biggest hurdle is the permission.

All i need is a small grass strip. Anyone had any experience with this or know of any good resources?

Thanks. :cool:

vanHorck
12th Sep 2010, 14:15
you will see a search facility on this forum (top yellow banner) . If you use it you will find multiple threads on planning permission, 28 day rule etc.

Good luck!

:D

BvH

IO540
12th Sep 2010, 15:43
Very few people have gone for a planning permission at the outset. In fact my enquiries with several planning solicitors/consultants found that none of them had ever heard of such a case, yet none saw a reason why it would not work (assuming a 5 digit budget).

Most people run on the 28 day rule and hope if they keep their head down for 10 years, they can then convert that to the full legal thing.

Zulu Alpha
12th Sep 2010, 19:01
If they give you permission it will most likely be temporary and will need to be renewed every year. This allows them to remove it if there are too many complaints.

There will also be restrictions ie max number of movements, max horsepower, no microlights, no flying outside certain hours, no flying on Sundays etc etc.

As has been said, the best way is to just start operating, very quietly and hope no one complains.

IO540
12th Sep 2010, 19:23
If they give you permission it will most likely be temporary and will need to be renewed every year. This allows them to remove it if there are too many complaints.

There will also be restrictions ie max number of movements, max horsepower, no microlights, no flying outside certain hours, no flying on Sundays etc etc.

Are you basing the above on actual planning applications?

I can fully understand a movements limit but why no microlights? OK, if you got planning you would still not want to open the place to the "public"; it would still have to be operated in a low profile manner.

If going for a full PP one would sort out a strip in a location where objections are not likely e.g. next to a noisy road, yet well away from houses. When I researched this I was told that one of the hardest things was getting PP for building a new access road!

trevs99uk
12th Sep 2010, 19:29
However if its your own property.

Then the law of Curtilage would apply.

This is the same law that allows you to drive your 4 x 4 up and down the field as and when you like without anybodys permission as long as its your land..

If you invite friend in then yes the 28 day rule would apply and if you wanted to build a barn (hangar) then you would need planning.

Zulu Alpha
12th Sep 2010, 19:58
Are you basing the above on actual planning applications?
Yes, well, on actual planning permissions.

These are examples of the restrictions that might be applied. If you specifically want microlights then they may not include this. It depends on the planning dept. I do know of people with these sorts of restrictions.

One person has a no single seater restriction. No idea why they put this in. Another has no helicopters. I think it depends on the particular planners. Most don't have any understanding of aircraft and flying and restrict things like microlights and helicopters because they think they are noisier.

If you specifically want a microlight and weekend flying it is probably a good idea to have some other areas you are willing to sacrifice in exchange.

I do think the best way is to just start operating very quietly.

IO540
12th Sep 2010, 20:12
Interesting.... are these scenarios where people applied for a PP at the very outset, or after some years of operation? I would be most interested in any pointers - by email if you prefer.

Then the law of Curtilage would apply.

Indeed, but (last time I looked at this; about 10 years ago, for the building of some stables) I found what most people think is the curtilage is a lot more than the actual curtilage. If you have a house within a 1 acre plot (not that unusual in the countryside) and next to it is a 5 acre field which you also own, the field is unlikely to be regarded as being within the curtilage of the property.

xrayalpha
14th Sep 2010, 13:21
Hi,

There have been a few in Scotland in recent years, most with some restrictions. Planners just love this!

I am thinking of Thornhill, near Stirlight. Had planning with 1200 movement, no flights on Mondays, op hours 9am until 9pm.

Got planning for a new hangar.

Got no Monday flying condition lifted.

There is a strip called Latch Farm, near Edinburgh. Got 5 year temp. Been renewed.

Another at Forth. Council were fairly relaxed.

Best thing is to work with the council AND - most important - with the community. Let them know who you are, and that you don't plan Heathrow. Let them see your aircraft.

And if you are a microlight, ask the BMAA. In fact they have a small booklet on planning for sale to anyone!