PDA

View Full Version : RENO Air Races, Nevada 13-16 September

AirScream
17th Aug 2001, 15:58
I am heading West for RENO Air Races next month. :D Anyone else going, or has anyone been before?

:eek: http://www.airrace.org :eek:

I'm outta LGW on 11th Sept - BA to Phoenix then America West to RENO

Vfrpilotpb
19th Aug 2001, 15:32
AS, good morning,

Look up a yank called Bill Rogers who is the remaining partner in Levitz Rodgers Racing Inc, tell him Peter from the North of England suggested you speak to him, they do some weird things with P51's and Rolls Royce Griffon 58 (ex Shackletons) purchased from me
also they then add Lear Jet wings and squeeze nearly 4000horse's from the old Griffons, I bet they sound incredible!
if you want more E me from my profile :cool:

Right Stuff
23rd Aug 2001, 13:53
I'm hours building on the west coast during that period, tempted to poke my head in

Stan Woolley
24th Aug 2001, 11:37
I was at Reno last two years.
It's worth it just for the sound of the Unlimiteds - and I saw Mr Hoover and his Shrike in '99. :)

AirScream
26th Aug 2001, 20:22
Well, hope to see some Brits out there!

Let me know if any is gonna make it.
for more info go to http://www.pylon1.com

Peter B - what are they hanging the lear jet wings on??

Vfrpilotpb
27th Aug 2001, 17:01
AS Hi,
The hang the Lear 23 wings, and rears, off a P51, not sure of which Mk, but they are so super critical that they have to get up to a terrific ground speed to leave mother earth, I have a picture of one here named "Miss Ashley" that won the unlimited about 4/5 years ago fitted with one of my ex Shackleton Griffon 58 plus the contra prop cut down to allow the tarmac to be missed upon take of, interesting to note that the Griff was bolted straight to the hangers, none of the normal rubberlastic types shockers were ever used.

Sadly Gary Levitz(the main pilot in the company) lost his life when one of these Hybrids broke up whilst going a bit quick at Reno in 1999, so I dont know whether they are still using this config, but whatever if you play with power, big power, ala 3500Hp plus, sooner or later somthing will break.
If I had the ability I would post the piccie on the thread, but lacking the deftness of a computer nerd I dont know how to do it.
Regards :)

Cyclic Hotline
27th Aug 2001, 19:43
Unfortunately it was the Miss Ashley II that was lost in the '99 race.

There are some excellent pictures on this site, it was a phenomenal machine. http://www.p-51mustangsaliveandwell.com/aircraft/p51/87-1002.shtml

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: Cyclic Hotline ]

Vfrpilotpb
28th Aug 2001, 13:18
Hi Cyclic,

Yep , typing with two fingers, and looking over my shoulder to view what I should be talking about , gave out the wrong name , thank you for that, despite the disaster with Miss Ashley, what a nerve Gary Leveitz must have had, to fly a aircraft of 50 years old with wings from a jet and engine from an Bomber inspired Awacs, such a pity that his ability was lost in the desert, that engine must have made an incredible sound!

eagerbeaver
28th Aug 2001, 13:32
HOw do you get involved in air racing? Can you rent an aircraft? receive tuition? i would be very interested as i am a motorsport competitor and would love to try something like this?

Vfrpilotpb
30th Aug 2001, 22:25
Eager B,

Contact any of the plane/racer builders give em your spec required , oh, plus $1m and in something like six months you would have a racer, ready to have a go at the unlimited class in Reno, all it takes is money, and lots and lots of GUT'S, thats all! :D :D

old-timer
3rd Sep 2001, 03:05
I went last year,
it is absolutely the tops :-)
where else can you see an F-14
flying an air race course !!!
the jet race this year will be
wicked :-)

fun ,fun ,fun,

:-)

411A
3rd Sep 2001, 05:33
Back in the sixties, Clay Lacy (I think) entered a DC-7B in the unlimited class.....and came in third. What a sight the big old Douglas made......those were the days. Ahhh.... Douglas!

AirScream
10th Sep 2001, 14:01
Just to rub it in :rolleyes: I am leaving for Reno in the morning and hope to report back for those that are interested :rolleyes:

Damn todays is dragging :(
If any one else is going don't forget the Ramp Rats party in the Pylon Bar, Reno Hilton Saturday 15th Sep 01

Does this count as a PPrune Bash with at least 2 PPruners? :D

BayAreaLondoner
10th Sep 2001, 19:39
AirScream...

Will you be posting pictures anywhere???
Won't be able to make it this year, though I'll try next year!

If any PPRuNers make it down to the SF Bay Area from Reno, drop me a line especially if you're interested in sharing costs for a local flight.

AirScream
11th Sep 2001, 00:47
you bet BayAreaLondoner I'll bore you all with my digital pics :rolleyes: I'll post a link here too as long as they are worth seeing.
Right I gotta go pack :D