PDA

View Full Version : Concerns converting FAA to JAA

preiffer
16th Aug 2001, 17:49
Hey guys,

I recently worked in California for about 6 months with the company I'm with at the moment, and while I was out there, I decided to give flying a go.

Well, I got bitten (big time), and instantly signed up for (and got) my FAA PPL. It's taken me a while (I'm 21 now), but I've finally decided that I DO actually want to be a pilot (a career that never really crossed my mind beforehand - I've been working in IT for 4 years!). So I've come back to the UK to start a ATPL distance learning course, and when I have the theory out of the way, go on an intensive practical course.

My only problem at the moment is that I'm a little concerned about converting my license - I've asked around, and loads of local flight schools (at Bournemouth) can do it, but I'm worried that it's a completely different world of flying here in the UK!

I got a VFR chart a few weeks ago, and was almost lost on it! (nothing like the US sectionals I'm used to!). I can't fly at night on a license over here, or above the clouds, SVFR is completely different - so many differences!

Has anyone else had any experience of transitioning to flying over here? - If so, I'd love to hear from you! How long does it take? - I already have 85 hours TT. (mostly flown over San Francisco - something I wouldn't miss for the world!)

Thanks! :D

Richard49
19th Aug 2001, 18:18
I've done a bit of scratching around - read research and the answer seems to be mainly that what ever you did on the FAA is not counted and you effectively have to start again. Don't take that as gospel but perhaps the best idea would be to ring some local Flying schools and ask the CFI there and if you have real problems getting a straight answer, then post again and I can put you in touch with a guy who seems to know the JAA rules backwards, I've seen him help out not just myself but a couple of other guys in his interpretation of the JAA rules.

BEagle
19th Aug 2001, 19:28
If they didn't bend....(risky thing to say in San Francisco?), have a look at www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_PolicyUpdate.pdf (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_PolicyUpdate.pdf) . That'll tell you exactly what you need to do to convert a non-JAA PPL to a JAA PPL. Basically, your FAA licence would have to be current and valid in all respects, you would need at least a JAR/FCL Class 2 medical, to take the PPL examinations in Air Law and Human Performance and Limitations, to have 100 hours total time on aeroplanes and to pass the JAA PPL Skill Test. You would probably also need a Flight Radiotelephony Operator's licence; see www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_gid35.pdf (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_gid35.pdf) .

Welcome to the joys of the JAA!!

[ 19 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

englishal
20th Aug 2001, 18:46
Don't worry too much about the differences between flying in the US and the UK, and the charts, you'll pick it up pretty quick. I did my JAA PPL in California last year, and to be honest there's not much difference flying in the US to the UK, the charts look a bit different, the airspace has different letters, and the US tends to be more GA friendly ! (You won't find any nice flight following here in the UK, and doubtful if you'll get up above 4000'...oh and the cost!)

Shame you have to come and join the wonderful world of JAA, if I were you I'd be tempted to forget the JAA route and go the FAA route, where you can get the CPL ME IR added on to your PPL for around £10,000 as opposed to the odd £30 grand the JAA one will cost you !

Good luck !

PS You can still fly on your FAA PPL in the UK without converting it to JAA...

Jsap
21st Aug 2001, 03:26
Hi guys I would like to ask Can you actually finish your JAA ATPL in Califoria??

If you dont until what ratings can you get in JAA?

I will apreciate some info because i am looking for JAA in USA.

thanx

:cool: