PDA

View Full Version : Air Zimbabwe Pilots Strike Again

Tachi
11th Sep 2010, 15:46
Apparently Air Zimbabwe Pilots have been on strike for the past few Days.....any news as to the progress if any? :rolleyes:

Jetjock330
11th Sep 2010, 17:23
Maybe they asking for an extra BILLION Zim dollars increase per hour???

I think I have a 50 Billion Zim Dollar note somewhere.

Metro man
11th Sep 2010, 20:21
Just heard on the BBC, all sacked. Aircraft being hired from SA.

Capetonian
11th Sep 2010, 21:44
Great, something else for the SA taxpayer to pay for. Football, Jacob Zuma's 22 children, and now flying Robbing and Graceless Mugape around

Cubbie
12th Sep 2010, 03:42
One report says they haven't been paid allowances since Feb last year??:mad:

Metro man
12th Sep 2010, 04:34
BBC state aircraft to be hired from Quaries to fly their routes.

BBC News - Air Zimbabwe dismisses striking pilots (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11273905)

Now if they can't afford to pay their own pilots, how can they afford to hire in other airlines aircraft ? :hmm:

Might be an idea to get cash upfront before starting any engines.:rolleyes:

ERASER
12th Sep 2010, 07:10
I have seen a "zs" reg. F28 (JNB) with Air Zimbabwe painted on the side of the a/c.......

Tachi
12th Sep 2010, 11:27
Air Zimbabwe... Fair Play Please! The pilots are fired for not being paid?:ugh:

The Ancient Geek
12th Sep 2010, 12:00
Any sensible pilot would get the :mad: out of there and get a job with a decent airline. There will never be any money because what little bit does come in will continure to end up with Mugabe's cronies in head office.

Air Zim is doomed, it might survive for a while as a virtual airline using wet leased overcapacity from other operators but even that is doubtful.

The entire country is a basket case.

Abbey Road
12th Sep 2010, 14:29
Any sensible pilot would get the http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif out of there and get a job with a decent airline.Which assumes that anybody else wants Air Zim pilots.:hmm:

Piper Driver
12th Sep 2010, 14:30
I see that they have a ZS reg 737-200 on their regional routes now as well as the F28.

Surely it has got to be cheaper to pay the cabin crew what they are owed and get them back to work??

I don't blame the pilots.......have a job with Air Zim, work but not get paid. they might as well get fired, and still not get paid!!

McGreaser
12th Sep 2010, 18:36
Which assumes that anybody else wants Air Zim pilots.

Abbey Road, you're obviously ignorant or oblivious as to the world of aviation........when you have time check how many ex Air Zim pilots fly all over the world. Just to help you with your "homework" some of the most senior Capt's in EK, GF, are ex Air Zim.......the rest is now for you to find out and report to Pprune:p Don't get onto your high horse and bad mouth Air Zim pilots. If you're African then am sure you do appreciate the problems involved with most African carriers and whether or not you support the politics of the respective countries, childish comments like yours should be treated with the full contempt they deserve. Even if it was shot at humour.....u deserve a 0/10:=

When it comes to bread and butter issues, aviators from any cockpit deserve our support and sympathy not ridicule. You never know when one day it will your "behind" on the picket line and an ex Air Zim pilot (who nobody wanted - in your wisdom or lack thereof) interviewing you for your next job. Take it easy on the rhetoric, sarcasm, humour blah, blah, blah and wind your neck in.

Alutta continua........

Metro man
13th Sep 2010, 01:54
Back in the 1980s Air Zimbabwe/Affretair pilots became available on the international job market. Prior to independence the Rhodesian Licence wasn't acceptable due to sanctions.

These pilots were snapped up by Cathay Pacific ("A" scale and very selective back then), Gulf Air, Dubai Air Wing, Singapore Airlines, Ansett, Australian Airlines and others.

In those days standards were high. These days, who knows ? Licence conversion would be much more difficult and potential employers far less welcoming.

If I were an Air Zim pilot I'd look at QATAR or other Middle East Airlines where my licence would be recognised. Get a couple of years of experience which would be acceptable elsewhere, pick up a JAA/FAA licence along the way, save some cash and move on.

Daft Wader
13th Sep 2010, 04:32
Several ex Air Zim Drivers on the B777 at QR Capt & F/O - All good guys
Daft Wader
:ok:

McGreaser
13th Sep 2010, 07:47
In those days standards were high. These days, who knows ? Licence conversion would be much more difficult and potential employers far less welcoming.

This is where l had a gripe with a one Abbey Road and now Metro Man you wad into the same waters. Have you ever flown with an ex Air Zim pilot of "who knows" standard ? Standards are still the same as the days gone by and will never be lowered. And am sure you do appreciate any potential employer will put you through the rigours of an assessment before they turn you down whatever your background. And Air Zim has a lot of experienced pilots who unfortunately are not being paid their worth.

So Metro Man l do agree with you on the points you later raised, but just trying to fish out the "fly in the ointment" you had earlier brought up (ref: who knows) Am sure with the latest developements they will make the right choices on where to go and fly next. As you mentioned earlier many carriers have ex Air Zim pilots am sure the present crop once they make it through the interviews like should fit in like everybody else:ok:

Metro man
13th Sep 2010, 09:34
As you mentioned earlier many carriers have ex Air Zim pilots am sure the present crop once they make it through the interviews like should fit in like everybody else

IF the current crop are any good then they should have no trouble finding work if they are prepared to move internationally. I have flown with, and was taught by several ex Air Zim pilots who have moved along and are now Captains with major airlines.

However given the general deterioration of the country it would not be unreasonable to question the standards of the airline. Everything from drinking water quality to health services has slid down hill. The cream of the crop left long ago and we need to know what's replaced it.

If the airline was profitable, expanding, operating modern equipment and the licence was widely accepted for easy conversion. If major airlines were happy to code share on their flights. If the airline was allowed direct flights to the USA and Australia instead of being banned. Then their would be no question mark.

Unfortunately the airline is loss making, operates aging aircraft and has a poor reputation for reliability. This applies to some airlines in the west as well BUT CAA/FAA/JAA/CASA keep a special eye on them and will ground them if necessary.

If Air Zim buy new B777s and start direct services to New York on which American Airlines code share then their standards would obviously be acceptable.

Next time you are a passenger on a Cathay Pacific jumbo, it's quite possible the captain is an ex Air Zim Viscount/B707 driver.

Abbey Road
13th Sep 2010, 09:52
McGreaser, save your tantrum for someone who cares. I know several of the pilots you refer to, who are now in Emirates et al, so I know they are capable. I was referring to the Air Zim of today. :hmm:

McGreaser
13th Sep 2010, 13:47
Abbey Road you obviously have a chip on your shoulder ! am sure l can sense your drift, but you have no valid proof. Why are the pilots of today any different to the pilots of yonder ? Why do you think they are incapable ? Because of the current political climate in Zim you therefore think it transcends on the pilots or any other professionals that they become half baked ? If you have the presence of mind or time walk down any industry in the world and ask if there are any half baked professionals let alone pilots from Zim whether from today's generation or from the past.

To cut a long "tantrum" short Abbey Road, crawl back to your hole and live in the archives where your kind belongs. If you still aggrieved or feel the Air Zim pilots of today don't measure up, PM me and l will school you :ugh:.......oh yeah l l forgot, you don't care:mad:

Surely the UK CAA, South African civil aviation authority, EU would have banned Air Zim from flying if they felt crew certification was below standard.

Metro Man makes a valid point, those who are ready to leave will throw their hats in the ring and look for greener pastures. Those who stay deserve to be paid accordingly or at least as per their agreement with the management

deeceethree
13th Sep 2010, 16:36
McG, mind your blood pressure! :ooh:

Tachi
14th Sep 2010, 07:21
Have the Um pilots been re hired yet ? That process is normally overnight for proper sensible consultation with the fairer sex. They tend to knock some sense into these clueless directors..or politicians whatever the case may be....Tread cautiously now Um U have been warned u may wake up to no Airline at all! :suspect:

Whenwe
14th Sep 2010, 10:50
I am one of those that left in 1980. We all have a soft spot for Air ZIm and Afretair. We are part of a proud history and the foundation we laid for the future of Air Zim cannot be faulted.
About 5 years ago we interviewed 2 Air Zim pilots. Accepted the one and not the other. Standards then was acceptable.
Good luck.

Ingwe
14th Sep 2010, 14:36
If there is anyone out there reading this who has been contracted to fly the Air Zim relief flights that are rumoured to be running via a South African company, as the saying goes, Hokoyo!

I hope one day you will not be in the same unfortunate position that the Air Zim guys are in. When you haven't been paid (for 18 months) and have to take extreme measures like striking, hopefully your efforts will not be sabotages by someone coming along and doing the work.

If Air Zim can afford to pay ANOTHER company for their flights they can afford to pay their own staff what is owed for work done!

Cubbie
14th Sep 2010, 16:32
Since when does Air Zim pay up front? More like they have found someone to fly now ... bill us later..and then its ahh...but lets negotiate..!!:ugh: - they usually pay a small amount as a deposit the rest you will see whenever-if-ever,- they will soon find themselves to be in the same boat as the striking crew, fuel suppliers, caterers , ground handlers, various airports around the world and who ever else has to deal with Air Zim- out of pocket!.
Absolute disgrace they cant pay their crew what they are due, looks like they want to pay civil servant pay of us$200 a month since that is "reasonable" and not the $1200 they had been getting or the $7000+ they should be getting.

battman
14th Sep 2010, 21:22
AQ contracted in. Easy to condemn their pilots, sure they would end up the same way if they refused to fly because they dont agree with the principles of the strike! Hear their pay is also not much better than Air Zim's....:sad:

Romeo E.T.
15th Sep 2010, 13:03
I peronally feel for the AirZim guys/gals, trying to keep working for little pay...until enough was enough

but

I don't see how AirZim can come back from this strike, if they cannot even afford to pay their pilots and crew a decent wage, and are now reporting a 1/2million us$ loss every day, how are they ever going to recover from this, the govt doesn't have the money to bail them out either...only uncle Bob with his "stashed" loot can come to the rescue.

hugh767
16th Sep 2010, 07:46
Air Zim has been a training ground for many pilots. They have lost on average five pilots a year to other airlines to date, and as Zimbabwe does not have any ATPL exams all those that have Zim ATPL's have got then by converting other countries license. The majority have been FAA and some JAA, so if these countries are not good enough who is.:ugh:
Is the grass green on the other side.
The support that has been received is greatly apprciated, and who knows i may bee looking for a job soon, hope i'm good enough:)

Tachi
16th Sep 2010, 13:22
Its called fear of the unknown....we all had to move away from our comfort zones one day. This maybe the time to do just that. There is a whole satisfying life after Air Zim. Been there done that! U cannot blame Air Zim for not sending your kids to school...u have yourself to blame. Wake up call maybe. I know ur good enough just believe in yourself. Look for help! u will be pleasantly surprised there are a lot of people ready to rescue you out but you must look for the help line. Good Luck:ok:

four engine jock
17th Sep 2010, 12:22
You cant blame the AQ guys or the airline itself. What would happen to them if they refuse to fly? They dont have a union to back them up.
This happens all over the world. When a pilots go on strike others will get some work. Its a fact of life.
I hope that the Air Zim guys get there backpay. In the end you can thank Bob for all this.

Pandabear
17th Sep 2010, 14:58
If it was not AQ it would be another airline. Charter companies also need to make money-although whether they get paid in this instance is debatable!
Even with AQ the strike is still hurting Air Zim.

Good on the UM pilots to have stood together in the first place and go on strike. With their experience I am sure they will find new jobs. At least they made the most important first step, stop flying for free. It is always difficult to know when to pull the plug and we usually leave it far too late.

I hope UM management comes to their senses and resolves the issue as soon as possible-for everyones sake.

Piper Driver
17th Sep 2010, 15:59
In recent times quite a few UM pilots have applied to other airlines and been accepted, and for this reason UM went on a recruitment drive a few weeks before the strike started.

The ZS reg a/c was contracted to supliment the domestic routes about a week before the strike started as the MA60 was down for major inspection and the other two were down for repairs. The second ZS reg a/c one came into service after the strike started.

If the pilots leave or take alternate employment, they will certainly lose ALL that is owed to them, and that is why I think a lot of them are hanging on. Once paid though, you may well see a large exodus out of UM!!

Heard a rumour that discussions are on going, with UM management saying 'come back to work and we will talk' and the pilots saying 'talk first then we come to work'!!

For the record...the standard of UM pilots is still high!!!!

inini
17th Sep 2010, 21:29
I wud like to personally thank u all for the support. These UM guys deserve our support. As pilots we should all stand together and support each other morally.
UM guys, remember there is life after you CEO:D

Metro man
18th Sep 2010, 07:22
If the pilots leave or take alternate employment, they will certainly lose ALL that is owed to them, and that is why I think a lot of them are hanging on.

I understand that they are in behind by US1300 per month X 7 ie just over US$9000 in total per pilot. Not worth hanging around for given their earning potential once they gain employment. Fly Dubai are offering US14000 per month tax free for B737 Captains. Plenty of jobs in the 8-12 000 range

Garuda Indonesia are looking for B737 drivers, unfortunately they want 300 series onwards. Maybe stretch the point if they don't have enough applicants or pay for your own conversion course ?

There was a company in Bahrain wanting B732 pilots a few weeks back if anyone remembers the name.

The pilots had been reasonable but with over six months on less than half pay and no sign of when it would be back to normal it was time to pull the plug.

Now Mugape will have to hire in foreign aircraft at greater cost than it would have been to run the national airline.

Similar with the farmers, the country was self sufficient and now has to rely on foreign supplies to keep going.

hugh767
18th Sep 2010, 07:47
Try US$20 000-US$120 000, some people owed over a year's worth of leave, if they should leave not just the short change you though was owed.

Pandabear
18th Sep 2010, 09:22
A lesson for all of us who work for "dodgy" airlines...move on as soon as they start going into arrears! I am off to check my account....:E

McGreaser
18th Sep 2010, 09:52
I stand corrected here......with the amounts being owed to the pilots (US$10k-US$120k:confused:)say....l would think the only way such amounts change hands in Africa in general is when there is a "beast" being slaughtered, a whole village is invited, the local dance troupe breaks into the usual "we are happy" routine and everybody is wearing t-shirts with some fat guy's face printed on them..........or somebody is stealing the said amounts from govt. coffers/parastatal/food program/blah blah..since Air Zim pilots don't fall into such categories then it's very unlikely they will receive the amounts owed.:ugh:

Or am trying to imagine the day when the management call each pilot to the office and hand then a "brick" of US$ in arrears......."Hello Peter....we are sorry we took long to pay you what we owed you....here take this brick of US$10k for now whilst you come to work and we talk later":=:= Not in this lifetime/galaxy

Apparently Mugabe earns (officially !) US$1200/m and Air Zim pilots want more than that......am sure you can see where this argument will end up.

Hand on heart, that money will never be paid and hard as it may be to leave your home, country, friends, mistresses, there is never a better time to walk away from Air Zim.

Metro man
18th Sep 2010, 10:44
Reports give the total involved as US$3 000 000, divided by 40 pilots = US$7500 per pilot. Obviously a long term B767 Captain would be owed more than a recently employed MA60 F/O.

A years leave at US2500/month would come to US$30 000.

Not pocket change by any means but do you seriously expect it will be paid ? With average earnings in the country of around US$250/month and a government controlled media, pilots will be portrayed as selfish, economic saboteurs who will get little sympathy.

The white farmers are still due compensation for the improvements made to their land before it was seized. :hmm:

Why waste time at US$8-14000/month, which could be earned by a captain else where, in hanging around in hope ? Time to cut losses and move on.:(

ian16th
24th Sep 2010, 10:49
Striking Zim pilots back at work: News24: Africa: Zimbabwe (http://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/Striking-Zim-pilots-back-at-work-20100924)

Romeo E.T.
24th Sep 2010, 15:33
a different take from AP

Air Zim pilots end strike

Sep 23, 2010

HARARE, Zimbabwe — Air Zimbabwe says that its pilots have ended their devastating 2-week strike and the carrier expects to resume international and regional services on Friday.

Associated Press reports that Zimbabwe's national airline's chairman Jonathan Kadzura didn't give details of the deal that ended the strike. The airline fired the pilots last week but then resumed negotiations.

Senior pilots earned $2,600 a month, well below salaries of their regional counterparts, and the heavily indebted airline failed to pay most crew allowances for the past 20 months.

One airline plane was commandeered to fly President Robert Mugabe to the U.N. General Assembly in New York this week. U.S. officials confirmed they issued 80 visas for his entourage. Striking pilots had criticized the trip for its extravagance in the ailing economy.
Source: AP