PDA

View Full Version : C 182 Question

Joaquín
15th Aug 2001, 20:39
I've wondered if anybody here can help me. How would a non-retractable C 182 perform with 820 pounds of payload in USA during August? Will it behave nicely and still have a decent endurance?

Thanks

Purple Dog
16th Aug 2001, 11:17
Joaquin.
If you can get the doors shut, she'll fly

Cheers :)

Skylark4
17th Aug 2001, 03:31
I flew from Calgary to Oshkosh in a 182 this year. Four blokes, probably totalled 700lb plus a small grip/backpack each and full fuel. Seemed to takeoff ok at a pressure altitude of 3,500 ft.

Mike W.
Edit:- It was fixed gear and I wasn`t flying it, not at takeoff anyway, so I don`t know how it felt and I`m not familiar with the a/c anyway. Owner/driver was not concerned.
We came back with a load of paint and catalogues and did trim the fuel load a bit.
Still did three hour legs though and thats enough.
M.

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: Skylark4 ]

gravity victim
17th Aug 2001, 17:53
Our regular load was pilot (+chute), four big hairy skydivers,full fuel, door off, no probs.

Joaquín
18th Aug 2001, 19:05
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try and let you know :)

eyeinthesky
19th Aug 2001, 23:16
If it doesn't work in a major way, how will you be able to let us know? :eek:

Onan the Clumsy
21st Aug 2001, 22:52
Don't want to be pedantic here, but Density Altitude is an important part of this discussion.

We may or may not have had five jumpers AND the door in our 182 and been ok, but if that were the case, we would have been starting off at around 500' MSL.

Still a 182 will haul a surprising amount of stuff though.

You say August, so I suppose you're talking about Oshkosh. Don't forget that it can get really hot in America, especially in the south. Why in Texas it gets so hot we have to use special tar on the roads so they don't run away like water. We start putting on sweaters once it gets below a hundred etc etc. And remember, when you hear a forecast for these parts, them's Texas degrees they're talking about and they're each a little bit bigger than an ordinary degree.

Hope y'all enjoy yourselves and remember, "Fly Friendly".

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: Onan the Clumsy ]