PDA

View Full Version : Class III Medical - Are you Legal?

Vedeneyev
10th Oct 2001, 13:36
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm stuck in yet another JAR quagmire...

Had my medical in 1999 against my old CAA license which, as I'm under 40, is valid for 5 years. Then of course JAR happened (of which information dissemination appears to be solely word of mouth and hearsay).

As I understand, my Class III Medical is valid for the 5yrs against my now JAR License until the Medical expires at which point I will have to take the Class II Medical.

Is this correct, and if so can I point to any documentation to prove it? Reason being I'm applying for a license conversion into a JAR wannabe-state, and they've turned down my application as I have a Class III Medical not a Class II Medical, which suggests I'm flying on illegal documentation at the moment. Any help or pointers appreciated...

Pielander
10th Oct 2001, 14:34
I asked the CAA the same question some time ago. I had a class I that had lapsed to a class III, and I asked them if I was still legal. I got a very courteous reply, along with a new pre-dated class III medical certificate just to dispel any confusion!

I expect this will answer your question.

Pie

Genghis the Engineer
10th Oct 2001, 16:25
I believe you're correct so far as the UK is concerned, but another country need not accept an old CAA medical and is within it's rights to require a JAR medical.

On much the same lines, the UK never accepted the FAA medical and has always required a CAA, and now a JAA medical.

G