PDA

View Full Version : SID Climb restrictions.

InSoMnIaC
10th Sep 2010, 21:34
I apologise in advance if this thread is in the Wrong Place.

I was wondering Why it is standard practice at some airports around the world to have SID's with Climb Restrictions (say you have to cross a point at or below a certain Altitude) and at the same time you are given an altitude higher than that first Limit by Delivery.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what the pilot is required to do in these circumstances, however I think that it is asking for trouble to clear someone above an initial climb altitude and at the same time assume that he will abide by the altitude restrictions. it is easy to miss such small details on complicated SID's.

Now to complicate things more. I have often noticed that at these same airports, after you are airborne You are cleared to an altitude a little higher than the first restriction while still on the SID. This now causes a little bit of doubt in the pilots mind as to what the controller means and whether or not they should disregard the Initial Climb restiction on the SID. So It requires another confirmation by the pilot. "confirm unrestricted".

On the other hand you have airports where it Clearly states the Initial Climb altitude on the SID chart and the ATC Clearance will either not include an altitude, in which case you climb to the altitude on the SID chart, or the Clearance will include an altitude that is the same as that written on the SID chart. very simple, and very little room for error.

AlphaMidnight
11th Sep 2010, 07:27
SIDs are in place so that multiple aircraft can get airborne, from different airports, and are separated from each other because of their different SIDs and the restrictions on these SIDs.

Pilots may be given climb above the SID profile, by ATC, according to the traffic situation at the time. If a pilot is being cleared ABOVE the SID profile by UK ATC, the controller should use the phrase "Climb NOW".