PDA

View Full Version : Formula One Air Racing

Ivchenko
12th Aug 2001, 21:44
Does any Formula One / Cassutt type pylon racing go on in the UK?

Does anybody know anything about it?

Cheers

Ivc.

Zlin526
12th Aug 2001, 21:51
It has, it seems, fizzled out in the UK. There used to be a lot of it about in the 70's and 80's, mainly based around the Tiger Club at Redhill. A great sight to see Cassutts, Cosmic Winds and Betas roaring around the pylons but for some strange reason, not a lot of it about anymore. Unless that is, any of the FARA types are out there to prove otherwise...... :cool:

Negative 'G'
13th Aug 2001, 00:08
I saw some in action at Duxford about 5yrs ago :D

Neg G

A and C
13th Aug 2001, 01:19
Do you want to buy a F1 aircraft ?

Ivchenko
13th Aug 2001, 02:30
A&C.

Might do. But only if there's somewhere I can race it.

:)

Purple Dog
13th Aug 2001, 06:37
Id love a Cassutt.
One very sexy aeroplane.

No, I dont build Cassutts or have one for sale.www.cassutt.lornet.com (http://cassutt.lornet.com/)

Tiger_ Moth
18th Aug 2001, 21:01
Is this racing where there are pylons marking out a course and you have to stay below the pylons at under 50ft or something?
Thatd be great!

Yogi-Bear
19th Aug 2001, 20:44
The RAe Club ran a race at Caernarfon recently. It didn't get much publicity. If that is not actual Outer Darkness, its certainly near the edge of the World. ;) :p :eek:

Zlin526
19th Aug 2001, 21:02
Yogi, that was Handicap air racing.. Aircraft speeds worked out and thre slowest aircraft take off first. If the handicappers have got it correct all aircraft should cross the finish line together.
Formula air racing is: Take off together, go like the clappers around a 6 pylon course and the first one across the line wins..