PDA

View Full Version : PPL Issue, at the CAA HQ

Rusty Cessna
12th Aug 2001, 14:51
Hiya folks,

If I pass my skills test this week I am not going to be able to wait the usual time it takes for them to issue my shiny new licence. Is it possible to take a trip to the CAA Headquarters (Gatwick???) and have it issued for me there and then? IF so how do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your time,
Rusty

FNG
12th Aug 2001, 15:12
Rusty, good luck with the test. I don't know if you can get the thing issued at the counter at Gatwick. Bear in mind, however, that it may only take the CAA a shortish while to turn the licence application around if submitted by post. They are often much better at this than they are generally given credit for. My licence arrived about 8 days after I sent in the application.

Rusty Cessna
12th Aug 2001, 16:18
Cheers FNG,

Only problem is I don't have 8 days, unfortunately.

Rusty

PA38
12th Aug 2001, 16:26
8 days mine took SIX WEEKS because of a backlog, caused by staff training for JAA. :rolleyes:

Cahlibahn
12th Aug 2001, 22:43
Sorry Rusty, but I don't think you can make a personal application for the initial issue of a PPL. You'll just have to take you chances with the usual postal application process.

samson.
12th Aug 2001, 22:59
At the moment, the wait is 10 working days. There is no way you can speed this up, not even with bribery. I'm sure you can deliver your application to Aviation House personally, but they will not do it for you there and then - you will just remove the postal delay.

The irony is that a PPL will be approved within a day or two of them receiving your application. For some reason the issue of the actual certificate takes the time.

Samson

Rusty Cessna
12th Aug 2001, 23:48
Never mind then, thanks for the help!

Rusty

Go-Around
12th Aug 2001, 23:54
Tell them your famous.
I know a guy that passed his skills test on the same day as a well known comedian and went down there and got a shiny PPL over the counter.

Fuji Abound
13th Aug 2001, 20:00
They were brilliant to me I seem to remember - I was going abroad and wanted to do some flying there - they issued the licence over the counter after a call to explain the special circumstances. It should of course be for a genuine reason other wise it seems unfair to be given priority. They seem now to be happy to issue an intial IMC rating on the same day, as well as a revalidation, so long as the paperwork is there before 11. Well done FCL. Maybe this only applies to ratings being added to the PPL though. Good luck. Oh, and FCL is at Gatwick, follow the perimeter road to the bee hive!, and you can 'phone them.

[ 13 August 2001: Message edited by: Fuji Abound ]

Rusty Cessna
13th Aug 2001, 20:22
Well,

My situation is pretty similar, I need it so that I can do some flying up country. Still in the UK, but it might work.

Thanks,
Rusty

bcfc
18th Aug 2001, 21:48
Mine arrived yesterday - just over 2 weeks, so nice work FCL.

Of course, its now p***ing down :rolleyes:

FNG
19th Aug 2001, 12:15
Congrats bcfc. Loks like post-frontal weather coming, so hie thee to an aerodrome. Rusty, yer done the test yet?

Rusty Cessna
19th Aug 2001, 17:32
FNG,

Had to scrub round it today FNG, due to some nicely placed Embedded CBs at stupidly low level :(

Let you know how I do when I do!
Regards,
Rusty