PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused! Please help me!

Ian_Wannabe
11th Aug 2001, 03:28
Hello!
I thought I understood the licensing but I've now found that I don't!

Okay, could someone please explain for me the difference between the JAA PPL and the JAR PPL and wether or not I can fly with either or one of them in the UK, or are they the same thing???

I'm about to do my PPL next year and I'm thinking of doing it in Florida and flying in the UK after I pass (hopefully). But with not knowing the difference between licences I’m worried of a hefty conversion payment or some kind of restriction with flying in the UK.

Where I’m thinking of training offers a UK JAA PPL with UK prices. This sounds great, but then I look at another advert and see, "gain your European JAR PPL for bla bla bla"

It's just starting to confuse me now and it's annoying after thinking I understood it! So anyone who could kindly explain please help me!

Sorry to ask another obvious question but I'm a newbie :(

Thanks for your time and safe flying

str12
11th Aug 2001, 03:49
There's no difference.

JAA is the Joint Aviation Authorities

JAR is the Joint Aviation Requirements

The first is the governing body - a sort of Europe-wide CAA; the second is the actual requirements that need to be satisfied to gain the license.

On the front of my license it says

"UK CAA, A full member of the Joint Aviation Authorities"

The license itself is a JAR-FCL PPL (A).
FCL is Flight Crew Licensing
A is Aeroplane (you probaly knew that)

Hopes this helps. :)

Ian_Wannabe
11th Aug 2001, 16:17
Thanks very much, that's all cleared up now.

Hmmmm..... why dont' they advertise JAA - JAR PPL in the ads then. Don't know if it's just me but wouldn't that get rid of confused wannbies.

Thanks again

Noggin
12th Aug 2001, 03:11
Not quite right.

The JAA is a collection of National Aviation Authorities. Whilst the JAA have a headquarters in Hoofddorp Holland, there is no Europe wide governing body.

The JARs are requirements agreed in committee and adopted by the various JAA member States.

JAA licences are issued by individual JAA States to a common standard laid down in JAR-FCL 1 and 2 and are mutually acceptable to one another. (In theory of course!)

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Noggin ]

Richard49
12th Aug 2001, 18:07
Doing your PPL all in one go is the abosolute best way of doing it, I tried to do mine over weekends and between bad weather (no flying ) and other reasons took over a year to get and even then only because I took a week off and just got it done.

I also did my Night and IMC in Florida which was fine and I have no problem with that, except it doesn't really prepare you for UK based flying.

You might also look at Ireland to do your flying certainly the hourly rates are below the UK rates and when you consider the strength of sterling against the Irish Pound - well it will be euro by then you could conclude that it's a cheaper alternative but will give you exposure to UK conditions in terms of Weather, Terrain, even down to transponder codes in the states they use 2200 and of course familiarity with the ATC

anyway good luck with your flying