PDA

View Full Version : First Aerobatics Lesson!

skydriller
11th Aug 2001, 00:12
Just had to tell someone!! :D

WHAT A BLAST!!!

30 mins in a CAP-10, great fun. I did the take off (first time in a taildragger - MORE rudder!!) and had the aircraft to climb up to altitude over the airfield. The instructor then demonstrated most of the standard figures then I had a go at a couple of loops & rolls. All too quickly it was over and decended down into the circuit. I needed a little help with the landing (just the slightest cross-wind and I was all over the place on touchdown!!), but what a :D it put on my face.

It ranks up there with the first solo in my book!!

Plus, A quick thanks to everyone who posted on a thread about aero's a month or so ago, I finally did it!!!

Cheers, SD.

Can't wait for the next lesson!! :D :D

Purple Dog
13th Aug 2001, 06:27
First aerobatics while solo is when it becomes "Scarobatics". I scared myself senseless. Was fun though ;)

Loopy1
14th Aug 2001, 11:51
Is it not the best fun or what!.You'll love when you can take your mates up and scare the s**t out if them.Taildraggers are an interesting machine too.Good stuff

Kermit 180
14th Aug 2001, 12:31
Make sure you got plenty of spare undies and lunch bags handy. And I can thoroughly recommend flying a tailwheel aeroplane.

Kermie http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/stuka2.gif

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Aug 2001, 17:39
Aeros and taildraggers (and Yak 52s!).....

The ONLY way to fly!!

Enjoy

SSD

Tricky Woo
14th Aug 2001, 18:07
Hi SSD,

I saw on Avweb that Aerostar have announced a tail-dragging version of the Yak 52. It's even the Westernized version, so even less to worry about. I can't think of anything more desirable, myself.

Hope the Chippy and Yak are in good order.

Regards,

TW

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Aug 2001, 15:24
Hi Tricky

Yes, I drooled over that Yak - and the 'Super '52'in this months 'Today's Pilot' IIRC.

Not sure on Yak futures at moment - owner wants to sell but so far no takers (good!). Had super Chippy flight on Friday over and around N wales - including aeros over Abersoch. It's great seeing all those neat rows of moored yachts, sailing boats., waterskiers, sparkling sea, and crowded golden beach go swinging up over the canopy ;~)Chippy's just gone tech with a brake problem, but apart from that has been fine.

Hope things are well with you.

SSD

Southern Cross
15th Aug 2001, 16:44
The ultimate "small" Yak - the 50, tail-dragger, 2/3rds the weight of the 52, same gorgeous M14P = wonderful power to weight.

The 52 almost feels like something is wrong with it when you switch from the 50 ... :cool:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Aug 2001, 18:18
But, Southern, only one seat. The 'Super 52' was designed to have 50 performance (for the formation aeros team) but still have 2 seats.

The 50 looks good, though. Must admit ;~)

Wish there was one in NW I could fly.

SSD

Rallye Driver
16th Aug 2001, 14:59
SSD

For drool factor 10, the place to be was Kemble last Saturday for the Yak Club fly-in. 31 Yaks of all types including the Super 50 and 52 - and some awesome aerobatics including Gennady Elfimov's legendary display.

Had an hour in a 52 yesterday afternoon doing some more difference training. Managed 15 minutes aeros over Grafham Water before we had to go back. Brilliant. Just wish I could afford to do it more often. :D

RD