PDA

View Full Version : Designated Operational Coverage

lexmark
9th Sep 2010, 15:05
Does anyone know where I can find info on the Designated Operational Coverage for aeronautical ground stations especially ATC units in class G airspace and Air Ground Radio Stations? I have trawalled the AIP to no avail.

Thanks for your learned help.

Talkdownman
9th Sep 2010, 15:59
In the UK go to UK AIP, Aerodrome Index-specific, select aerodrome of choice and go to Textual data then section AD 2.18

eg. Farnborough EGLF AD 2.18, Cambridge EGSC AD 2.18 etc
It's all there under ATS Communication Facilities - DOC

;) You Have Control...

AlanM
9th Sep 2010, 16:40
Someone of great knowledge once told me it was Declared Operational Coverage.......

Yet the AIP GEN 3.1.10.4 does say Designated.

:8

chevvron
9th Sep 2010, 16:55
Well as the ITU decide the DOC of particular functions, I would say it is 'Designated'.
I think you'll find the DOC of ALL A/G Radio stations is 10nm/1000ft (I recall reading this somewhere but can't recall where!) and DOCs for licenced airfields with ATC or FIS should be listed in the AIP.

lexmark
9th Sep 2010, 17:12
Yep, thanks for the quick reply. Let's just say DOC.

AIP sec 2.18 (aerodrome specific) does give the DOC for ATC units like Cambridge etc, however all of the licenced airfields with A/G radio only don't specify a DOC. Like you I came across this:

"In order to reduce the possibility of interference pilots should be discouraged from calling an aerodrome at range/heights exceeding 10nm/3000 ft."

But "discouraging pilots from calling" is somewhat different to an actual DOC. I belived the DOC for most A/G stations was 25NM. But I cannot source the info to back this belief up!