PDA

View Full Version : European Flyers / Blackbushe - Are they in trouble?

GulfStreamV
5th Oct 2001, 15:33
Heard in the bar yesterday that European flyers were in a bad way financially? Plus all the club aircraft have been flown away from the base?

Hereseay I know, Anybody have any news?

GV

Trinity 09L
5th Oct 2001, 17:08
I asked yesterday to rent a 152 this morning and was told they were all booked, heard nothing else to the contrary :confused:

GulfStreamV
5th Oct 2001, 18:40
Check out the Wannabees - Its official - they have gone bust.....

ICU
5th Oct 2001, 20:16
Oh dear...... :(

bookworm
5th Oct 2001, 21:08
Press release (http://www.flyer.co.uk/news.php?HtmlStoryButton=692)

Toppers
5th Oct 2001, 22:13
I seem to remember writing a post a couple of weeks ago about the risks for our UK clubs by people training in the US.

I hope that some of the un-patriotic misers who got their licences abroad are inconvenienced by this bit of bad news.

My full sympathy to Euro Flyers, I hope you come back one day.

Trinity 09L
5th Oct 2001, 23:10
They taught this old codger to fly, and I am very dismayed at the loss of EF. Hope they re-appear, and best wishes to all instructors, and thanks again. :mad:

BEagle
6th Oct 2001, 12:41
When I was fighting Woods, Payton et al. over the effect that their precipitate embrace of JAR-FCL would have on GA, they refused to accept it. No - there wouldn't be any increase in costs and safety would improve. But the UK has a GA record 4 times as safe as the rest of the world, according to the head of the CAA, so why the perceived need for such absurdly expensive changes? The CAA's Regulatory Impact Assessment presented to the House was a thoroughly flawed document which conveniently omitted to explain the full impact of their Eurocracy on our industry.

Since this utter cr@p of JAR-FCL was forced upon a resentful industry, every single area of flying training has faced increased costs. Even FIs teaching farmers to PPL standard now have to meet the same medical standards as a BA Concorde captain, the BCPL was thrown away merely because there was no JAR-FCL equivalent, training for and revalidation of both FI and FE qualifications is now far more difficult and expensive and demand for training has also decreased due to the inability of the CAA to regulate 'overseas training' - which does not have to pay the high UK fuel and maintenance costs.

So we've seen more and more companies creaking and folding, most of whom were suffering long before the terrorist atrocities in the US. Virtually everything I warned the CAA suits would happen if they didn't stop their lemming-like rush over the JAR-FCL cliff has happened; the NPPL will help, but won't reduce costs substantially until far more realistic requirements are in place for PPL FIs and FEs to give anyone interested in an aviation career access to affordable, UK-based flying training.

[ 06 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Wycombe
8th Oct 2001, 01:54
....taught me as well, finished my PPL there back in '94 and have some happy memories of my membership there until '96 (leaky terrapins and all!!).

EF had a great social side in those days, a lot of it down to the many owner-pilots at EGLK who were and probably still would be members if the Club had survived.

Anybody else here taught/examined by Vic Hargreaves....what a Gent.

[ 07 October 2001: Message edited by: Wycombe ]

Julian
8th Oct 2001, 18:18
Toppers - I did my PPL in US but have since put a lot of money UK GA way in aircraft rental and in training so as far as I am concerned you can take your comment about 'unpatriotic misers' and stick it up your a*se! If you read the press release there are a variety of reasons for EF going under, JAR approval only being a small - especially when you consider there areonly a small number of JAR approved schools and even less with an on-site examiner! :mad:

EF was local to me so I am as sad as anyone to see them go under - especially as I almost commited £5k to them!

Julian.

VNEandG
8th Oct 2001, 18:35
Julian,
Have to agree. I did my PPL in the UK. I went to many schools (12 in Northe London)and met many Instructors who were so far up the back sides, and people on reception who totally blanked you. I was about to spend £6000 with them, a "Good Morning" would have been nice. Even when finally finding a half decent school, I found the attitude poor. Yet went States side to do my IMC and found you were treated as a customer, and paid half the cost as the UK.
Like respect, you have to earn patriotism. Too many schools feel as though it is a customers right to use them!

VNEandG
8th Oct 2001, 19:37
.....although, I should add I have not ever visited E.F., so don't know if they fitted into this catergory. From some of the comments, I think not. Lifes a unfare bitch!!