PDA

View Full Version : Marshalling?

JetMouse
1st Oct 2001, 12:22
I’ve just been reading the part on marshalling in my PPL manual and would like to clarify a point with you learned people...

According to the book when the marshal wants you to turn left he waves his left arm in a 180 degree arc on his left side – so if he is facing you waving his left arm - doesn’t that look like he wants you to turn right? Is this correct?

Apologies if this is a particularly dumb question but I just want to make sure I’m interpreting this correctly... :confused:

The Flying I
1st Oct 2001, 13:39
Where-ever the marshaller is standing, in whatever direction to you, imagine he/she is directly facing you, (face on) and each of his/her hands controls a wheel on your aircraft directly ahead of it. (ie: his/her right hand will control your left wheel as he/she is facing you). So the stationary right hand freezes your LEFT wheel and his moving left hand/arm makes your right wheel continue to move. So your aircraft turns left. This signal applies WHERE-EVER he/she is actually standing in relation to your aircraft (the marshaller could be to one side, over your left shoulder, etc etc)- you have to transpose him or her to directly in front of you, facing you, and then let the hand movements control the wheels they "face".

It'svery annoying at some of these fly-ins where amateur marshallers are allowed to stand around and THEY don't know how to marshall! The usual mistake is that they wave both hands towards themselves even when you are taxi-ing past them at 90 degrees, and they think they are saying 'turn towards ME' when in fact the signals they are making are saying 'continue straight on across me'. When you get past them, they start getting frustrated and annoyred and all sorts of signals start

Skylark4
2nd Oct 2001, 01:35
You should try being a marshaller. The number of pilots who think the aforementioned both hands moving at the same time means` head straight for the marshaller, no matter what`s between me and him` is amazing.
What you must remember is this:- if you are being marshalled you must obey the instructions of the marshaller OR STOP. If he says turn, you turn. If you don`t think it`s safe , you stop. If you carry straight on and hit something, whose fault is it?

Mike W

Final 3 Greens
2nd Oct 2001, 13:26
Jetmouse

Flying I has explained very well how to visualise the marshaller's instructions.

In case you are interested, it is done this way because it dates back to the days of multi engined tail draggers which were turned by differential power .... add power to the right engine and you turn left. Even with a trike gear multi, differential power is a very effective way of turning.

I suppose singles have always had to go with the flow!

F3G :)

JetMouse
2nd Oct 2001, 14:17
Thanks for the responses guys - answered my query perfectly!