View Full Version : Aircraft manufacturer Embraer considers single-pilot planes

Nudlaug
9th Sep 2010, 03:56
Aircraft manufacturer Embraer considers single-pilot planes | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/aircraft-manufacturer-embraer-considers-single-pilot-planes/story-e6frfq80-1225916323230?area=travel)

And Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary said he is going to ask regulators for permission to staff flights on his Irish airline with only one pilot - a big money-saving move.

Mr O'Leary told Bloomberg Businessweek that he does not think co-pilots are necessary on passenger planes.

"Why does every plane have two pilots? Really, you only need one pilot," Mr O'Leary said. "Let's take out the second pilot. Let the bloody computer fly it."

:yuk:

protectthehornet
9th Sep 2010, 04:31
first, get rid of half of management!

doubleu-anker
9th Sep 2010, 04:47
I am really getting scared now.

Man of course is fast becoming the weak link when operations are normal. When things go wrong the human intervention will be needed.

Because all humans are fallible, one human needs to monitor the actions and assist the other, in anyway possible.

I hope MOL is on board one of his single pilot A/C, if God forbid, there is a real problem. He then may rethink this folly.

Hartington
9th Sep 2010, 07:31
My initial reaction is entirely negative, both to O'Leary and Embraer. But then I remind myself that my original reaction to big twins flying long overwater sectors was similar yet now I don't think twice about boarding one.

It is also the case that there are single pilot operations already. Now, I'll readily admit that we're talking a very different operation to even a 737 - I recently travelled on a Cessna Caravan with a single pilot from Juneau to Skagway - only 100 miles and 10 passengers but it happens.

So, I'll retain an open mind but I'll also admit I would NOT be first in the queue if/when single pilot operations begin.

ATC Watcher
9th Sep 2010, 08:18
Number of pax behind is indeed exactly the crucial point. AFAIK, Embraer is pushing for single pilot OPS for their Phenom 100 VLJ to compete with other VLJs, like the Eclipse etc.. Since the cockpit of the 100 is exactly the same as the other larger Executive jets of the familly, what is the difference ?
If then their Phenom 300 and Legacy becomes single pilot Ops then why not the 170/190 ?
This is most probably the reasoning within Embraer..

I make myself the devil's advocate :

The Caravan is a very good example. Used in very difficult environments ( like deserving some off the coast North Atlantic islands in mostly terrible weather (for me ) with a single pilot and 10 pax.Why would you need 2 pilots to fly the next leg above far better weather whith much more automated assistance on a say, Embraer 170 ?

Permafrost_ATPL
9th Sep 2010, 09:05
If then their Phenom 300 and Legacy becomes single pilot Ops then why not the 170/190 ?

Because Sky News only starts its hysterical and repetitive coverage of plane crashes for airliners. In other words, Joe Public won't care if a Phenom flies into a bridge while the single pilot has his head in the QRH, killing him and two rich lawyers.

Why would you need 2 pilots to fly the next leg above far better weather whith much more automated assistance on a say, Embraer 170 ?

I suggest you rent an Embraer 170 simulator and try and go through the smoke/fire checklist while hand flying the aircraft down to weather minima. Good luck :hmm:

MetoPower
9th Sep 2010, 09:24
Two pilots, because when things go t*** up, you need one to fly the dammned thing, radio, nav and all, while the other one will try (successfully I hope) to take care of the problem.
Not to mention after an 8 to 12 hours day and several sectors...

Basic but of course I'm not a bean counter........

MP

AerocatS2A
9th Sep 2010, 09:58
I reckon it's great. It'll let us get rid of CRM courses too.

Basil
9th Sep 2010, 10:17
Isn't the Citation 1 certificated for single pilot ops?

Perhaps MoL is going to buy a new fleet :p

It's all publicity borrocks - ignore.

Bobbsy
9th Sep 2010, 10:51
Speaking as an SLF, beyond the workload issues, what about in flight pilot incapacitation? It's not common but there tends to be a case or two per year. Would any regulatory body be willing to write off a plane load of passengers every time this happens?

Bob

Basil
9th Sep 2010, 11:06
To all concerned passengers:
Don't worry. It is not going to happen in the forseeable future :ok:

Aussie
9th Sep 2010, 17:12
This will be right up Mick Olearys alley.... I gather he believes any publicity is good publicity... what a total arrogant D*** :ugh:

galaxy flyer
9th Sep 2010, 23:41
Basil

That is just what they said in '79 when the three-man commission met to decide if the 767 could be flown without an engineer. Oh, and we'll never fly overwater with a twin. See how that worked out?

GF

Basil
10th Sep 2010, 08:59
galaxy flyer,

Yes, I know; gone from four to two in my career but can't see single FD crew happening for a while - theoretically possible but surely not.

I used to think HF radio and MF beacons would be things of the past before I retired - didn't happen but, hey, that would have cost money.

Dreamflyer1000
12th Sep 2010, 10:04
good luck making the 'remaining' crew double their workload for no extra $$$...
And what about this 'experience' thing everybody keeps talking about? oh wait...thats right. CTC will have you in the LHS in 200hrs!!
doesnt really think things through does he..

SEIFR
16th Sep 2010, 11:59
A lot of the PC12s out there are operated single pilot.
The PC12NG has a Honeywell Apex cockpit. Not the same as alot of airliners but is similar.

Piltdown Man
21st Sep 2010, 22:58
With the crap guidance panel and FMS from Honeywell, the Embraer is a two crew aircraft. Not until an FMS programming stick is installed so you can beat the information into the wretched will it ever become single crew. The autoland would also need a great deal of enhancing as well. It could be more complicated, but you'd have to try hard.

So no, the E170/190 won't be single crew and the program manager for the crap in the Embraer 170/190 should be drowned in a bucket in front of their colleagues to ensure that they do better.

PM