PDA

View Full Version : PPL Air Law Exam

Evo7
10th Aug 2001, 11:29
How much study is involved in the PPL exams?

I'd like to get Air Law out of the way, and my flying school is running three night classes in the next few weeks, so it seems like a good time to do it. However I'm very short of free time now, so if there's lots of work then it is going to have to wait.

Cheers :)

FlyingForFun
10th Aug 2001, 12:11
I found this one took more work than most of the others. It's not that it's difficult - it isn't - just that there's a lot of new material to learn.

When you learn you Highway Code, you already know most of it, having experienced roads (as a pedistrian, or a passenger, or cyclist) for most of your life. But with Air Law, I had to learn everything completely from scratch.

I did most of the work in one week - took the week off work, flew most days, and worked on Air Law for an hour or two a day when not flying. It can certainly be done without paying for ground school, though, especially if cash is tight.

Biggest piece of advice I have (and this applies for all exams) is to learn everything, then do the PPL Confuser test. If you get a good mark in the Confuser, you know you can do it for real without having to worry. If not, go away and learn some more. (Watch out for one or two wrong answers in the Confuser, though!)

Good luck!

FFF
------------

Evo7
10th Aug 2001, 12:20
Cheers, FFF. Confuser already ordered this morning :) :eek:

You want it when?
10th Aug 2001, 13:14
Got to admit - I'm struggling with Air Law as well. I've got the Confuser and Thom book 2 but it is such a massive amount to absorb. And it's so "dry", I guess I've read the book a couple of times and it is starting to stick (at least).

Good luck.

Tricky Woo
10th Aug 2001, 15:50
I too found the revision for PPL Air Law far harder than any of the other subjects. Why? Boring, boring, boring.... yawn.

I got there in the end by using a combination of Trevor Thom (Bless him) and the PPL Confuser. I really can't recommend either of them enough. I would also say that in the case of Air Law, the Confuser is even more necessary, seeing as the Air Law exam is the only one where the examiner uses 'clever-clever, catch-you-out, I-bet-they'll-fall-for-that' type questions.

Personally, I think that questions that are set in this fashion are designed to show the smart-arsedness of the examiner, rather than a demonstration of the knowledge of the examinee.

Something should be done...

TW

skydriller
10th Aug 2001, 23:45
Hi,

I too found the Air Law exam the hardest, I was one of the 'lucky' few who first did the JAA-PPL course at the flying school I learnt at. At that time some of the Trevor Thom books were JAR compliant and others were not, and guess what? Air law wasn't!! I am sure this isn't the case almost 2 years later, but at the time it made life twice as hard and asking the resident instructors for advice usually proved more confusing as the guidelines were constantly changing then.

So, make sure the books you are using are up to date and the same with the PPL confuser.

The best of British luck to you!!

Regards, SD.

PS. I am still not sure how I managed to pass Air Law!!

:D

bcfc
12th Aug 2001, 00:41
Yeah, good luck Evo7.

Only thing I can add is that I've found I use my air law quite frequently so well worth spending the hours learning it and not just the confuser. You'll kick youself the first time you need to interpret the signals square from overhead and that T with a dot is staring at you :rolleyes:

You want it when?
12th Aug 2001, 13:12
Anyone up for either a central London or Milton Keynes based study group on Air Law - teas / coffee / bikkies and questions supplied. PPLs and Studes welcome - I really need some help to get over this Air Law and Landings problem at the same time. Also Cranfield is just about closed due to WX (RW just about flooded)so nothing doing these days ;)