PDA

View Full Version : HKATC C-ops

lazygal
8th Sep 2010, 10:46
Do you think the staff morale and leave situation would improve after we got a new C-op? Some colleague say things can only improve after the other C-op left. But then other say we should not expect too much beacuse all managers are the same. What do HK controllers think?

bro.mo.yung
16th Sep 2010, 11:01
Don't know what you are talking about :E very poor English.

RRSM
3rd Oct 2010, 15:47
It is most relevant to discuss the previous C (OP) who was extremely controversial and clearly punching well above his weight as a chief. He did not exactly improve his battered image by making his now legendary comment that ‘rocket science is not rocket science’. Priceless!

But one must look beyond that single person. More than a decade of catastrophic mismanagement can no longer be swept under the carpet. Haphazard planning, lack of procedures, lack of quality control, lack of standardization, and lack of training - in short: lack of any kind of decent management has resulted in a scenario where far too many controllers can only work one sector. This is management’s shortsighted way of providing bums in seats. There seems to be no real plan about cross training. Liken this to having 4 pilots in the cockpit. One can taxi, one can take off, one can fly and the last one can land the plane. If you will excuse the pun, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that things easily go awry under such circumstances.

But it is the same old story: as long as nothing goes wrong expect no action to be taken. The bureaucrats who call themselves ATC managers issue endless amounts of memos and reminders full of gobbledygook and balderdash stating the obvious in an attempt to remain clean in case things go wrong. Their biggest fear in life is getting blamed for something and losing their pension.

Long gone are the days when management looked after controllers and in return got their respect. Now it is more a case of ‘us’ against ‘them’. It is hard to see any real improvement before the majority of the management has been replaced by younger and more capable individuals. Hopefully, this will happen soon. Meanwhile, the beatings shall continue.

Roger Sir
4th Oct 2010, 01:00
But one must look beyond that single person. More than a decade of catastrophic mismanagement can no longer be swept under the carpet. Haphazard planning, lack of procedures, lack of quality control, lack of standardization, and lack of training - in short: lack of any kind of decent management has resulted in a scenario where far too many controllers can only work one sector. This is management’s shortsighted way of providing bums in seats. There seems to be no real plan about cross training. Liken this to having 4 pilots in the cockpit. One can taxi, one can take off, one can fly and the last one can land the plane. If you will excuse the pun, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that things easily go awry under such circumstances.

But it is the same old story: as long as nothing goes wrong expect no action to be taken. The bureaucrats who call themselves ATC managers issue endless amounts of memos and reminders full of gobbledygook and balderdash stating the obvious in an attempt to remain clean in case things go wrong. Their biggest fear in life is getting blamed for something and losing their pension.

Long gone are the days when management looked after controllers and in return got their respect. Now it is more a case of ‘us’ against ‘them’. It is hard to see any real improvement before the majority of the management has been replaced by younger and more capable individuals. Hopefully, this will happen soon. Meanwhile, the beatings shall continue.

I read the quoted text above and thought no, surely, my eyes must be playing up after a night shift. Somebody has finally encapsulated the problems endemic to AirservicesAustralia. Us/them/bums on seats/lack of training etc etc etc.

If you can`t beat them, join `em. How many other ANSP`s are in the same ( leaky) boat?:=

gweiloairline
9th Oct 2010, 06:39
I think you are not only mo yung but mo lun yung

my GF in hkatc tells me all cop are the same
never dare to come up to the arena to fight the bulls
always hiding in their dens only

brother4
9th Oct 2010, 08:58
why mo lun yung?! being swallowed by the dead.cun? :p

SuzieWong
9th Oct 2010, 09:16
my GF in hkatc tells me all cop are the same
never dare to come up to the arena to fight the bulls

Well I've seen new one up many times already.

Why she needs him to come to the arena anyway? Hold her hand? wipe her nose? What's to fight about?
No bulls but lots of bull:mad: from you gweiloairline. Time for a new GF

lepsap
9th Oct 2010, 09:54
Highly recommended ..dread.cun.. to gweilox, she is good and competent in her :yuk:job. :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

gweiloairline
10th Oct 2010, 02:43
lepsap = are you suggesting that i should dump my GF for D cup?

bro 4 = shut the fup

who is D cun anyway?

Cafe City
10th Oct 2010, 03:01
Scary that some of you guys are controlling aircraft. :eek:

QUERTY-bored
10th Oct 2010, 15:14
I saw some pretty amazing stuff in HKATC. The majority of management including check controllers were third class politicians full of hot air. Sad lot who could remove the pleasure from having sex.
These are my comments:
• The smurfs in senior management are the biggest problem in HKATC. Poor at controlling and even worse at managing. Should not be allowed to ever set foot in a tower or control center.
• These so-called senior managers love gossiping about the controllers (!)
• Staff morale is extremely low. Most young controllers only get a fraction of their leave and fatigue is obvious.
• Senior managements usually spend their “leisure time” watching the radar in their homes. (What else is there to do on a Saturday evening?) Speaks volumes of their trust in staff and procedures - or lack thereof.
• Whenever they begin a sentence with the word “because” you know they are trying to pin the blame on somebody. Nothing is ever their fault!
• These managers love to point their fingers at ATCOs. If you are accused you have the right to argue your case but no matter how valid your points may be they simply don’t listen. You are up against the jury and the judge and cannot win.
• Like triads they use a system of bullying and intimidation to control the workers.
• If senior management did not turn up for work one day the two main differences would be that the controllers would actually be happy doing the job and the place would run smoothly.
• Don’t have too high hopes of improvements. Smurfs clone themselves and the chief smurfs’ successors will be cherry-picked!
• Recently there has been political talk of a third runway………Not required for at least 50 years! Simply train controllers to work like they do at any major airport in the world and the pink dolphins can keep their habitat!

bro.mo.yung
12th Oct 2010, 11:52
XXXXX.bored, very poor English! Shame as an ATCO!!

A-GPS
12th Oct 2010, 12:44
Mr QUERTY, talk to the management, speak to the union, there must be a way. thank you.

EARLY-GO
11th Jul 2011, 14:31
Late-break lowers staff morale.

OldBillXV
11th Jul 2011, 19:52
The overriding culture in Hong Kong is:

The more you do, the more you can do wrong;
The less you do, the less you do wrong;
Do Nothing, Do Nothing Wrong! :=

You will find this work culture though out Government Civil Service, Government departments and in most organizations, such as the AA, CAD..... Sadly people in senior positions, be it in ATC, Government, and the like are far too scared to make any decisions just incase they get it wrong and be held accountable. The entire system currently rewards indecision.... and you can see this from the CE downwards.... :ugh::ugh:

Very sad indeed. :mad:

XV

watsup
11th Jul 2011, 21:54
Bring back Man Well as C-OPS.He velly smart manager,will solve all plobrems.Just ask him,he tell you how smart he is.Managers with charisma and personality nedded-so, also bring back George the Chow.

The White Rabbit
12th Jul 2011, 11:23
No! No! Anyone but the Fawlty Towers waiter!!! :{:{:{
Pleeeease go. Very soon. Just go. Its the best thing you could do for the sake of SMS.

Never a dull moment here.
11 HR enhancements the man says. Oh goody. They have been burning the midnight oil, haven't they? Come and join us on the doggo comrades. We're all stark raving bonkers on the doggo. 30 planes on frequency? Nooooooooo problemo! More tea?

The best one- an extra C3 shift on......wait for it........ Thursdays! Yes, thats it. Thursdays. ONLY Thursdays. Lets hope someone tells the airlines this is the best time to fly. NO-DELAY-THURSDAY. Yippeeee! Maybe its half price too?! And a free Disney T shirt for every child- or 45 year old supervisor. Wooohooo! Where do I sign up?

Still, we have plenty of staff. Course we do. The letter said so. You know, the letter the man-who-shall-not-be-mentioned had a gun put to his head to sign. That one. And the paper said so today too. Says we have enough rabbits, sorry, staff, to handle 68 now. Honest! Its in black and white! Pity most of them are 5 years from their first rating and several with 30-40 years experience just resigned- er, moved on.

Also on the grapevine, those lazy sods with ratings in the office will be on STANDBY on weekends- only cos we have so much staff you understand. Good plan. Make the buggers work. I mean they're not doing anything are they? 'Cept training the dozens of new ones who are already counted as Controllers. Thats all. Skip a few sim sessions? So what. As the Chief honcho says - give 'em a rating; should be easy. Engineering 101. Square peg- round hole? Bigger hammer required. Cinch. You controllers are so difficult to deal with.

Back to the party! More tea?

EARLY-GO
15th Jul 2011, 11:26
Controller take early-go without deducting hours......for more tea.

On the beach
15th Jul 2011, 17:56
Controller take early-go

Aaah, only one controller - no problemo.

No more tea or controlling (God forbid) for you, early go, 'til you pass Engrish 101. :=

EARLY-GO
17th Jul 2011, 15:22
Tower controllers take a lot of early-go without deducting TOIL. They all take PTB bus starting from 1pm.....the tower supervisors are really helpful!

On the beach, you ask for better English so this post is especially for you. :mad:

watsup
17th Jul 2011, 21:26
tower controller ALWAYS take early go with no toil deduct ,particular the gweilo.Big gweilo supervisor not care.Not fare.

LapSap
18th Jul 2011, 13:55
you ask for better English

Not quite. He 'asked' for better English. Past tense. Nice try.

Give it a rest EG. Must feel like :ugh:.

TOIL
23rd Jul 2011, 09:29
EARLY-GO, have a short rest, let me take over.

CONTROLLERS are civil servants, they shall not leave their duty earlier than published duty period. This message will go to CSB if lapsap on the beach criticise my English.

watsup
23rd Jul 2011, 20:30
TOIL,AGREE WITH YOU. Send messages to C.S.B.because lot of controller not take toil. Thursday morning ,how cum controller on first shuttle bus, but not take toil.Not fare.We all work for government and should work full shift,or take toil.C.A.D. needs to address plobrem.Monitor the buses with C.C.T.V.,ask bus driver to take names.Bring back retire controller to help.like K.C. and Tom Chan and other velly experience and much loved colleagues.

EARLY-GO
24th Jul 2011, 04:38
Thank you TOIL! :ok:

Those taking early-go should go to the beach to clean the lap sap.