View Full Version : PIC vs widebody intl SIC time?

fredsmith
7th Sep 2010, 23:05
Hi, to preface my question I am like many others out there with several thousand hours SIC 121 US regional time and 0 121 PIC. Captain upgrade is likely 3-5 years (2 minimum) where I am at. I am considering going overseas to fly for a well known carrier flying wide body aircraft internationally (passenger). The upgrade would likely be 7 years (which is longer than I would plan on staying). My question is, in the eyes of a US legacy carrier recruiter, how would widebody SIC experience flying to 60 countries compare to say 1500 121 PIC gained staying at a regional? How would one fare trying to re-enter the US (legacy carrier) market 5 years from now on either course? Thanks!

Exaviator
7th Sep 2010, 23:37
Hi Fredsmith,

As one who was fortunate enough to get a command very early in my flying career (Only 2500 co-pilot out of 22,000 Hours) I found that command time opened more opportunities, and spent the last twenty years of my career flying wide bodies on international routes. But I spent thirty of my forty year career, as an expatriate only returning to my home country once retired.

In your case you are contemplating a short term overseas to obtain some experience but once you return to the States with that experience you would still be subject to the problem of seniority and would probably end up on the bottom of the list, still as a co-pilot. With that in mind I would suggest that you take a route that gets you a command in the shortest time, build up command experience then re-evaluate your options.

There is nothing wrong with flying as an expatriate, it can be a very rewarding choice in more ways than one, but you do need to look at it from a long term perspective.

Good luck either way :ok:

411A
8th Sep 2010, 01:32
Well said, Exaviator, my thoughts exactly.
I stayed overseas, and received a rapid Command on a four engine heavy jet prior to age 30.
Different strokes for different folks, however.