PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating to go with my new PPL!

Fast Jet Wannabe
4th Aug 2001, 22:48
I'm thinking of doing a night rating to compliment my new PPL.

I have only 45 hours, so as you can see, have not flown since I passed a couple of months ago.

Will I find it all comes flooding back, or will I have forgotten it all?!

What can I actually expect to do in a night rating course?

Have you done one, and did you enjoy it?

Thanks!

FJW.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Aug 2001, 23:24
(1) If you aint current, you aint current, don't expect to launch straight into something new. I also don't think you're allowed, unless you did the night as part of your course, you have to do a minimum hours before you can do the rating separately.

(2) Night circuits, night navigation (which is mostly radio navigation)

(3) Yes, tremendous fun. Hard to use in the UK in summer though.

G

Tee
5th Aug 2001, 10:39
I would highly recommend the Night Qualification. I did mine two years after gaining the PPL and it sharpenend me up again in all sorts of ways, on the ground and in the air.

On a bright, sunny day it's easy to become complacent and to jump in and go, but when it's dark, you're forced to think more carefully about pre-flight planning and checks, and start-up and manoeuvring on the ground, and the accuracy of your flying and navigation, and maintaining a good lookout.

It's a useful qualification for getting you home when departure is delayed and the light is fading, and apart from all the other good reasons to go for it, flying on a clear, calm night is absolutely magical!!

DB6
5th Aug 2001, 14:08
Doesn't matter how many hours you have, you can do it as part of your 45 hour PPL nowadays (I teach them). You'll do 2-3 hours in the circuit, dealing with emergencies as well (mostly lights failing) and at least one hour of night nav, then a minimum of 5 stop-go landings (i.e. not touch-and-goes) solo. I wouldn't think it matters how current you are since the first bit is normally just getting used to the aircraft at night so it'll all come back to you. You'll have trouble finding a place to do it in summer though, best to get it done when the clocks change.

twistedenginestarter
6th Aug 2001, 09:14
Night landing without landing lights is always good fun but not as challenging as landing without any electrics.

That's why I always have about 4 torches in my flight bag. So will you when you've done your rating..

Kermit 180
6th Aug 2001, 09:44
Night flying is certainly the best in my opinion, especially for flying scenic stuff with friends. Landing without a landing light isn't a problem as long as the runway flarepath is lit! In fact its sometimes better not to land with it on, that way you cant see what youre going to hit! :D

Anyway, go for it, youll not regret spending time and money on your night rating.

Kermie :)