PDA

View Full Version : going north before winter

maxalpha
4th Aug 2001, 02:50
A friend and myself are hoping to fly a pa32 cherokee six to iceland before it gets to cold!,any one done this before or got any advice or tips . we went south last year i would like to go that way again but my friend wants to go to the island in the pond!

davebuckley
4th Aug 2001, 03:34
:eek:

In a single??????
Take a liferaft & ELT
Undertake a ditching course
Wear a survival suit

Good luck

-------------------------
And they call me "Mad Dog......."

AC-DC
4th Aug 2001, 12:17
I have planed to fly there this year but as my a/c is grounded since April it remained as a plan only, however two things that you must consider.
1. Have immersion suits, dingy and emergency equipment.
2. I was told that the weather can close on you very quickly. If this is true and you are not IR make sure to have enough fuel to turn back, you are not spoiled with alternates.

When you are back tell us how it was.

Yogi-Bear
6th Aug 2001, 13:59
Copied from another BB: Suggest you read the Icelandic AIP at AIS Heathrow, in base of TWR. It doesn’t take long; its not very big! Part precis: Immersion suits are mandatory more than 50nm offshore. IR mandatory for visiting aircraft. Mandatory carriage of land survival equipment to last 24hrs, even for internal flights. Mandatory 3hrs fuel reserve for all inbound aircraft. Mandatory third party insurance. All flights require a flight plan. :eek:
Gudrun at the Icelandic CAA charts dept. will send an IFR chart and an ICAO half million chart at modest cost. She will accept Visa but not Mastercard. The charts arrived the following day. :)

150Driver
6th Aug 2001, 18:32
Is all that necessary, even for a private VFR flight?
You might want to take a look at http://www.hangout.flyer.co.uk/la_ic.htm, there are some links to local GA orgs.

Oh, and Max can you tell Mark I haven't forgotten I owe him for the bacon sarnie etc. from yesterday!

Shanwick Shanwick
7th Aug 2001, 00:56
I used to frequent Iceland quite often a few years ago without any problems albeit in a slightly larger machine with 2 donkeys. I'd have no problems doing it in a (reliable) PA32 at all. Stop in Stornaway for fuel, take a decent raft, a good beacon and a GPS. I'm not sure about the survival suits though, the chances of surviving the impact aren't too great but if you do manage to get out and into the raft you'll be fine. Although the weather in Reykjavik can be horrible, they tend to have long clear spells and on my 32 visits I don't think I ever did an IFR approach through necessity. If you need any further info let me know.