PDA

View Full Version : Swansea Airport

LowNSlow
3rd Aug 2001, 16:28
Went down to deepest Wales last weekend to visit the folks. Dropped into Swansea for the first time in ages. Very friendly and hepful people.

I asked if there was hangerage as I taxiied in but there was none available. As soon as I shut down, 2 chaps dragging very large & heavy concrete blocks complete with ropes came and tied the Auster down. Thanks lads.

They even reopened the buffet so I could have a coke. After booking in the lass behind the counter asked if I needed a taxi or hire car.

When I came to settle up they halved the £9 landing fee cos I'd taken fuel and charged £5.50 / night for the parking.

All in all well worth a visit especially as the airport is in the middle of the Gower peninsula with it's beatiful beaches.

FlyingForFun
5th Aug 2001, 22:47
Unfortunately, Swansea is a little too far for me to go for a £100 hamburger (it would be more like a £400 hamburger!) - but it's really nice to hear someone saying good things about airports instead of slagging them off all the time - thanks!

FFF
----------

A7E Driver
6th Aug 2001, 00:28
Cardiff used to be good also --- but now you have to pay for mandatory handling, etc. They clearly don't want to be bothered by general aviation anymore.

CSX001
6th Aug 2001, 01:46
I would echo the sentiments of this thread. Swansea was acquired by new management last year, and has since been lovingly nursed back to health.

I have since landed there on numerous occasions and the growth of the place is a joy to see.

Definitely one to support.

One the Cardiff point, the secret is to call the Aeroclub ahead of your arrival. If you are happy to be "handled" by them, and to park on the South side, there will be no handling fee.

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: CSX001 ]

stand37r
6th Aug 2001, 20:44
We also received a very friendly welcome in our Archer at Swansea but found the condition of runway 15 most alarming.We were convinced at one stage that we were on a disused part of the airfield until we came across the 'numbers' at the end! Very bumpy and covered in weeds.As for Cardiff,flew in same day but we telephoned the handling agent the night before our arrival to check on how much it was going to cost us. His advice was that we requested with ATC to vacate the runway to the south and park at the flying club, not the terminal. This meant that we only had to pay a landing fee and not a handling fee as well. Good advice as we otherwise would have had to pay in the region of £45 for a 1/2 hour stay! The landing fee was about £14, so don't be too worried about visiting. ATC were also very good to us on a very busy morning and we had no delay despite numerous sched. arrivals & deps.I can also recommend Pembrey. £7 l/fee, but do get PPR and talk to the v.helpful RAF Range Controllers for danger area access.Finally we called in at Haverfordwest.What a contrast to the friendly faces & voices we had met elsewhere. They only seemed happy when they took our money! Hasten to add we decided not to hang around & went elsewhere to buy fuel and lunch.Beautiful scenery & nice airfield, but doubt we will be back.

[ 06 August 2001: Message edited by: stand37r ]

LowNSlow
9th Aug 2001, 01:14
Haverfordwest must have changed over the years. It's probably best visited outside normal hours (9-4) when the grown ups (it's run by the local council) have gone home and the flying club bods take over the operations. Well, that's how it used to be back when Pontius was a pilot :D

CSX001
10th Aug 2001, 02:00
LownSlow's advice on Haverfordwest fits in 100% with my experience. The Flying Club could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Sounds like you should definitely time your visits out of normal hours!

stand37r
10th Aug 2001, 13:10
If I recall it was late morning & midweek. Oh well, maybe next time!