PDA

View Full Version : How far next ?

Pilch
14th Jun 2001, 02:35
Just passed my skills test and waiting for the CAA to send the necessary paperwork - and already thinking about trips during the summer. Does anybody have any advice or experiences about how bold to be in the early days e.g. when to venture to France ?

GoneWest
14th Jun 2001, 06:58
when to venture to France !!!!

The answer might lay behind the question "Where do you live?"

Gerund
14th Jun 2001, 10:31
Be very bold before you get too old. If not the odds are stacked against you!

No seriously:

I would suggest planning some long trips straight away. Just pottering in your local area won't achieve much at this stage. Hiring club planes can be a problem for overnights (if that is your situation) but if your trips are long enough, they probably won't mind (some clubs insist on 2 to 3 hours min hire per day). Check out the cross-country requirements for the commercial licence and get these out of the way in the early days.

Assuming you live in the UK, and you now have your PPL (congratulations), France is well within your capabilities, go for it! Within 2 weeks of getting my PPL I did a 395nm flight. It did wonders for my overall confidence.

Good luck!

Fuji Abound
14th Jun 2001, 12:48
I agree with Gerund - always given that you stay within limitations with which you feel comfortable. For example, the first time across the Channel in anything other than perfect conditions you might find there is more instrument flying than you expect and one or two new procedures with ATC and flight plans. If you are not sure, go with someone else maybe the first time. Northern France, particularly around L2K with a service from Lille is very friendly and every bit like out LARS service. However further south flight information services often do not really exist in France. Again it is not a problem but the first time you might feel a bit uncomfortable. Finally never count on the weather. As you go further afield count on occasionally becoming weather bound despite all the best plans. Not knowing where you are based, and subject to this, for European bound adventures I reckon a conservative plan might be to do L2K or the CIs first time out, and then maybe down to Paris, after which you should feel comfortable going further afield!! Also talk to as many people as you can who have experience flying in Europe - apart from the simple stuff, the flying, there are a few tricks to learn to make the whole thing less frustrating - for example it is surprising the number of places in France that do not accept credit cards for fuel - a bit of a nuisance when you have not got enough cash or a Shell card!

SteveR
14th Jun 2001, 17:30
You probably won't be as well qualified as you are now (for doing long navs), for a long time.

Everywhere is unfamiliar at the moment, but soon you will start thinking you know your way around locally and (if you're like me), getting lost alarmingly close to home.

You're still doing nav 'properly' and painstakingly, whereas I'm finding it too easy to think that corners can be cut now that I'm 'fully qualified'.

The downside is that you can find yourself a long way from home and flight planning aids, and anxious about getting back. There's no cure for this, other than ALWAYS being prepared and able to give up on getting home today.

Steve R

------------------
PPL(A) EGTO
View my logbook, back up your own:
http://www.e-logbooks.co.uk

jayemm
15th Jun 2001, 16:06
I wondered the same thing after my PPL, and decided to stretch myself in steps and build confidence, rather than go for something which might weaken it.

I planned trips to airfields about an hour away, different everytime (to get even more practiced at R/T, overhead joins and circuits at different aifields), building up confidence on judging the weather etc.

I didn't go to France until I'd been across the Solent, flown diversions, and been to the Scilly Isles. An IMC helps when crossing the sea enormously.

In the early days, there's a wealth of places to visit in the UK, so there's still loads of fun!

Whirlybird
16th Jun 2001, 16:23
There'a a balance here. When I got my PPL(A) I was determined to do a lot before winter set in (it was October), and I didn't want to be like those people I'd seen who never did more than potter around my local area. Result - wihin weeks I flew myself into cloud over Snowdonia and only just managed to get out, then got lost in marginial vis three miles from Birmingham Airport (OK, you've all heard about that one). That didn't do a lot for my confidence! I think the answer is to stretch yourself, but gently. If you live in the south then a channel crossing is fine, but do it in good weather; from further north it's a major expedition. Try flying with other people of about your standard - less workload, less money, more fun. Bear in mind that what is well within your limits on a nice day may mean you're overloaded if you're dodging showers, in strong winds, and coping with ATC's instructions, all at the same time. So go for it, but not too much. And be prepared to change your mind about any flight at any time if it becomes necessary.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Aussie Andy
16th Jun 2001, 19:59
G'day Pilch,

I too just passed the skills test (last weekend) and am about to send off the paperwork - as soon as I can find a week in which I can get by without needing my passport!

I was planning to go to Le Touquet, together with another farily recently (last year) qualified PPL. It would have been a first for both of us, and we figured that between the two of us in good conditions this would be pretty safe and achievable.

BUT I learned today that our club (BAFC, Wycombe) has a rule that says no flights over water unless you've already had at least 10 hrs instrument instruction - otherwise you must take an instructor.

No worries - I'm hoping to tackly the IMC later in the year, so this can wait. We've decided instead to do a full-day trip together - probably to Caernarfon we think.

Andy

GoneWest
17th Jun 2001, 07:04
Aussie Andy...technically irrelevant to this thread but you do not need to send passport.

As of 1st Feb - according to CAA website - a good, clear photocopy will suffice.

Aussie Andy
17th Jun 2001, 14:53
Hi GoneWest,

Was very pleased to hear that CAA no longer require passports with initial applications, but just checked CAA website and afraid this seems not to be the case.

See http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/GID21.pdf which says, in part:

9) Evidence of Identity.
· Actual Passport or Actual Birth Certificate only.
· PHOTOCOPIES OR VISITORS’ PASSPORTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
· · Existing holders of a UK Professional Flight Crew Licence or holders of a JAR-FCL Pilot’s Licence can ignore this
requirement.

Andy