PDA

View Full Version : Blanicks grounded. Glider pilots & clubs beware!

mary meagher
6th Sep 2010, 17:26
BGA has just passed on the messages, Blanik two-seater metal gliders are not safe, and have been grounded until further notice.

So any glider pilot or club reading this, check it out before flying.

Thats the LET L13 Blanik.

EASA Airworthiness Directive 2010-0185-E, effective 5th Sept. 2010.

peter272
6th Sep 2010, 18:39
Jan

I'm afraid that Wikipedia is not the fount of all knowledge. In this instance EASA will determine the fate of Blaniks in the EU.

But the notice can be seen here

British Gliding Association >> Airworthiness >> News (http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/technical/news.htm)

RatherBeFlying
7th Sep 2010, 04:22
According to the AD, EASA is still looking for a satisfactory inspection method. Until then, the LT-13 is grounded.

People at SSA are also researching means of inspection and talking to FAA.

In my own opinion, I wonder if there's a bit of an overreaction to a single accident, serious as it is, given the large number and long operation of LT-13.

All this is likely costing the factory serious money for little immediate return -- EASA bureaucracy has massively increased the cost to manufacturers of supporting older types.

Mind you future customers will have second thoughts buying from a manufacturer that walks away from its products.

cats_five
7th Sep 2010, 05:39
AFAIK The fatal accident that triggered this was caused by a fatigue failure of a relatively low hours glider.

Unfortunately for the owners and regardless of EASA I suspect it was always likely that finding a suitable inspection method (if there is one) would cost too much for a number of relatively old and low value gliders.