View Full Version : English proficiency for Aerial Work Pilots

avijacijamk
6th Sep 2010, 15:20
Hi Guys,

I have a lot of friends who are pilots in the Macedonian Protection and Rescue Directorate on a AT-802 Fireboss. They are, if I understand correctly certified with AWAOC. They are all CPL(A) pilots with no IR. They are just flying VFR. They have some problem with the Macedonian CAA and they ask me for help what I think. The Macedonian CAA say that they must have passed English Level 4 Proficiency exam (in Macedonia still you can fly without that until 2011). The problem is that they must ferry the airplanes from Macedonia to Spain few months from now and the Macedonian CAA thinks that they will need a Level 4 to do that... Can you please tell me how is that regulated in your countries. Thanks

Old Smokey
8th Sep 2010, 13:10
Hello avijacijamk,

Other than suggesting that you do all of the flights (as your English sounds fine to me), it is not uncommon in many countries where this problem exists to carry an English proficient radio operator in addition to the normal operating crew.

Such an additional crew member would, of course, have to be proficient in English and the language spoken by the operating crews.

I stand correction for this statement, but I seem to recall that some decades ago Aeroflot had such a system (No longer necessary as their pilots speak perfectly good English).

Regards,

Old Smokey

hueyracer
8th Sep 2010, 13:59
As long as the entry in their license states, that they are able to do the radio communication in english-no problem..