PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious controller on London 133.6 tonight

ballyboley
5th Sep 2010, 22:12
Hi, dont usually post here, but had an amazing controller tonight around 1905Z on Brecon sector 133.6 - I've heard him quite a few times before and always recognise his quick wit but amazing efficiency.
He gave us the best laugh of the evening as another aircraft called "XXX still maintaining heading 280", to which he came back quick as a flash with "Oh, thats a relief" - had us in stitches. I also remember a previous occurrence when someone asked if there was any holding at BOV, to which he replied "Certainly sir, how much would you like?"
Anyway, I doubt anyone can identify him but I just like to pass on when someone brightens up our day, but without it being over the top or wasting valuable R/T.

6th Sep 2010, 12:58
Hi ballyboley, it was me. I did quite a lot of radar yesterday....weird traffic....lots of peaks and troughs....occassionally manic. Typical for September on Berry Head/Lands End/Strumble/Brecon etc.
You should have been on earlier, we had an EZY with a honeymoon couple on board.....coincided with a quiet spell and I gave 'em the "banging noise in the back" and associated humour.
Too often modern ATC is robotic and unfeeling, and discipline has its place in a busy and demanding environment. After several decades on the "tube" I feel a kind of empathy with you chaps, and when traffic levels are low I sometimes present a more human side. I love the job!
Kind regards to all you guys and gals that pay my wages!!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Sep 2010, 13:32
Glad there's some fun left in the job. Good on yer 055166k!

No_Speed_Restriction
6th Sep 2010, 13:56
055166k, happy to hear the repertoire is coming along nicely. Makes a long day just that one bit shorter. :ok:

Hogg
6th Sep 2010, 14:05
Good on ya 166k..........Im a total fan of that.
Must have just missed ya as I got a direct cpt-medog-badsi-lipgo at approx 2020Z must listen more :D:D

No_Speed_Restriction
6th Sep 2010, 14:35
055166k, youve just opened a can of worms. I can see it now......Crewing officers throughout Europe will now be swamped with roster swap requests just so pilots can operate flights that fly through your sector.

Today Swanwick, tomorrow...X Factor.

ZOOKER
6th Sep 2010, 15:18
055166k,
Did you route to your present location from 'PL via 'The Wickets', many years ago?

EGLL19791986
6th Sep 2010, 16:40
Good to hear that there's still some humour left in NATS. Thought it had all
been stamped out these days!

fireflybob
6th Sep 2010, 17:57
055166k, you weren't with Lisbon ACC a few year ago were you?

There used to be one controller there who always had us laughing.

ATC "I have your Oceanic clearance"

A/C "We have pencil ready"

ATC "Can you write"

A/C "Affirm"

ATC "Do you have paper ready"

A/C "Affirm"

etc

goldfrog
6th Sep 2010, 19:02
055166K why have you not retired? I am 055565G and due to go this weekend so you must be before me?????

mary meagher
6th Sep 2010, 19:37
Not all that long ago, listening in to UA transmissions while a passenger (this was part of the entertainment, just dial up channnel 9 on your armrest)....
heard an American airline flight ask for Direct to Bovingdon.

The controller said, "Sorry, sir, that will take you directly through a danger zone."

Said an anonymous cultured British tone "Go for it!" .........

..followed by that wonderful radio silence when you can just imagine everyone on frequency snickering happily.

chevvron
6th Sep 2010, 21:46
Terminal Control, mid afternoon; a stream of BCN departures out of Heathrow were told 'any heading you like in the general direction of New York'.

cieloitaliano
6th Sep 2010, 23:28
133.6? Did you mean 134.75? I thought 133.6 was retired with UG1!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2010, 07:12
I think the users probably know what frequency they were on..... Or maybe it was the Light Programme?????

On the beach
7th Sep 2010, 09:08
Or maybe it was the Light Programme

That'd be the Daventry NDB then, wouldn't it? Or was that the "Home Service?" I seem to remember holding there about 45 years ago and listening to some nice music at the same time.

LEGAL TENDER
7th Sep 2010, 11:08
Maybe the other frequency is the channel to catch the banter an hour later on "London Control+1"? ;)

Vercingetorix
7th Sep 2010, 11:20
On the beach
Believe that would be what the BBC called the 'Light Programme'. used to break through quite often.

Cheers:ok:

7th Sep 2010, 11:26
#Hogg: your passage coincided with my toilet break!
#No Speed: they've obviously heard you---but I wasn't laughing at 0030 this morning. MD 80 out of Venice had to route via Germany, Belgium, Southampton, Lands End and the "Tango" to Madrid......very sad...French strike...same tonight...it will be hell....I'm on again!
#Zooker: Liverpool/Benbecula/Manchester/West Drayton/Swanwick.
#Goldfrog: don't retire...check out "Western Radar"---I'm trying to get there myself but they won't let me go. The Aviation world celebrated my first day on the job at Heathrow by arranging for the first ever B747 to land on 10R.
#On the Beach: I was at RRE Pershore for a while...we used to hold over Droitwich mast [BBC Light ]....there used to be an Advisory Route Brecon-Droitwich but it was disestablished once traffic started to use it [ NATS service reversal policy]
#cieloitaliano:sector joining [bandboxing] combines two or more sectors. 133.6 Brecon sector 5 and 134.750 Bristol sector 23 are quite often combined although frequency combination is not obvious to the pilot. The WEST END, as we call it here, can consist of up to 7 sectors....and all their 7 individual frequencies will be banboxed so that everybody hears everything. Birmingham inbounds from the South West Approaches sometimes lose R/T after Brecon unless we change the freq.

MrBernoulli
7th Sep 2010, 13:45
Very much like the lovely sounding lady that sometimes does Heathrow North arrivals 119.725.........Would that be 'Marmite'?

cieloitaliano
7th Sep 2010, 14:33
carbheatout (http://www.pprune.org/members/113716-carbheatout)# Remember what happened to Ulysses.

Doodlebug
7th Sep 2010, 14:37
Reminds me of when we ferried a South-African registered aircraft from northern Europe to Johannesburg, some 10 years ago. As we checked in with a Swiss controller: 'Gruetzi Swiss, this is ZS-XXX etc..' somebody else enquires which nationality this callsign is. Quick as a flash the controller says: 'Zulu'. Brilliant! :ok:

BOAC
7th Sep 2010, 15:43
MD 80 out of Venice had to route via Germany, Belgium, Southampton, Lands End and the "Tango" to Madrid......very sad...French strike...same tonight...it will be hell....I'm on again! - wonder what he had done wrong to his Ops staff? I think I would have gone Sicily/ International Civilisation Line/Balearics. Poor chap.

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2010, 13:50
Hey were you at PL, 80-82?

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2010, 13:52
Put me out of my misery, are you Norman Hartnell's mate?

BOAC
8th Sep 2010, 15:53
BW - we went through that on the 230 thread.:) Has NH worked it out yet?

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2010, 16:52
Sorry I seem to have missed the reply there! How is your lovely lady?
I was trying to remember the 2 74 guys who sometimes popped over to Changi for a beer (or was it to kidnap Norman's girl friend?), Dave R being one and someone mentioned the other that I couldn't remember over on the Lightning thread, Rick L.
Cheers BW

8th Sep 2010, 17:01
Yes! Including the time of the The Grizzly Bear hunt. Had a load of fun sending out the NOTAM.....I also sent out a NOTAM in plain English.."runway slippy due excessive Greylag goose crap"..... Just before my reprimand for installing a gaming machine in the terminal......but that was rescinded when I explained that the money was used to buy gifts for visiting head office staff and other dignitaries.
#Cartman.....it worked!

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2010, 17:07
Methinks you could be the chap, who every time a female pilot checked-in, shouted to the skies 'she fancies me,that bird'.
How is the birdwatching?
BW

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2010, 17:14
Great to see you still have that humour!
Our baby is on Z Watch or whatever it's called today, OK I know you won't want to speak to me now I mentioned them! Are you near Romsey? If so must meet up someday - send a PM.
BW
EGPO 80-82 -- after Air Force Herc Nav, LatCC, and before Boscombe and Heathrow.

initials
8th Sep 2010, 17:17
Ah yes, the gaming machine - a popular topic of conversation for the subsequent three years at least....:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Sep 2010, 18:14
Brian 48Nav... Couldn't be me, old chap, I'm a celibate Bolivian Vicar..

How's your back, mate?

AlanM
8th Sep 2010, 18:24
BM. You have shocked me with your celibacy claim!
055166K you are a leg end sir. Right up there with HD, ACE et al.

(OK TDM as well):ok:

Talkdownman
8th Sep 2010, 18:53
Gee, thanks.

052015B

AlanM
8th Sep 2010, 19:02
You should be pleased to be 3rd funniest ATCO I have ever met.*

(*excludes LCEs) 515143H

Talkdownman
8th Sep 2010, 19:32
Since when has an LCE ever been funny....other than 'funny(peculiar)'....?

Loki
8th Sep 2010, 19:52
This is getting silly

055417L