PDA

View Full Version : HK general aviation scene

RedKnight
5th Sep 2010, 22:05
Hello,

I earned my JAR-FCL PPL a number of months ago in the UK, and have recently moved to HK to pursue a career (unrelated to aviation). I am looking to further my aviation interests out here and convert my foreign license to a locally-registered one. As such, I have a number of questions:

1) Could anyone please provide some advice/commentary on the general aviation scene out here? How big is it, and how supportive are the authorities of it?

2) I understand that the HKAC has a monopoly over private aviation training and flying out of Shek Kong. If anyone here is a member of the HKAC, could you please comment on it (e.g. facilities, aircraft, training programmes, community, etc)? Are there any other organisations I should look into joining, e.g. GAPAN HK?

3) If anyone has gone through the process of converting their foreign PPL to a local one, how was the process? How tough is the certification/licensing regime out here?

Any other tips or comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Human Factor
6th Sep 2010, 08:57
Very second-hand advice but one of our (UK based) syndicate members lives and works in HK. He says the only aero club is at Sek Kong with a couple of Cessnas (?) and is in his opinion more trouble than it's worth. Can't help with regard to licensing requirements.

HTH