PDA

View Full Version : How can I become an Airline Pilot?

PilotPearse1996
4th Sep 2010, 14:24
Hi, I am currently in high school/secondary school in england and i plan to achieve sufficient Exam Results and A levels as neccessary to become an airline pilot. However, i have researched the different licences you need and there seems to be too many to understand. Also i do not know how i am going to fund the training so all advice will be appreciated. How can i become a pilot? what licences do i need? where is the best place to train? how much will training cost? How can i fund the training? etc. Thankyou :O

BROADSWORDCALLING
4th Sep 2010, 14:35
Have you considered the Armed Forces?

Particularly the RAF in which I serve. Before the cynics on here jump on about the Defence Review coming soon, we will still need to recruit young pilots for quite a while yet. The queen taught me to fly and although my current engagement is coming to and end, and yes I too hope to become an airline pilot when I leave, doing it the way I have won't saddle you with thousands of pounds of debt, you also get to do some of the more "interesting" flying rather than just up and down as gently as possible.

There are pro's and con's to both ways of life. I just offer it up as an idea.
Happy to try and answer and questions you may have.

Aileron Drag
4th Sep 2010, 14:39
Hi PilotPearse1996,

I had the same problem some time ago! Someone suggested that I join my local Air Training Corps. Five years later I had flown gliders solo, had visited several foreign countries, made some lifetime friends, and had a Private Pilots Licence. All of that was paid for by the RAF (and no, they did not demand that I join).

The ATC taught me an incredible amount about flying and the aviation industry, and I so recommend joining.

By the way, unlike when I left school, the RAF do short sevice commissions (I think). Many of my colleagues in BA were ex-RAF, having messed around in fast jets for a few years before getting a proper job flying passengers!

If that took your fancy, being an ATC cadet would help at selection.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

AD

PilotPearse1996
4th Sep 2010, 14:41
thanks for your reply :) I am currently an air cadet at bolton (80) sqn and plan to get a flying scholarship but do not know where to go from there. I will ask the CO at my squadron about the different jobs in aviation there are in the armed forces. your advice has been useful.

PA-28-180
4th Sep 2010, 14:41
P.P.......

First , at the current age of 14, I would think you're familiar with computer forums. There is a Private Flying and Wannabee forum on this site where your inquiry would be better (and shortly will be) sited.

Regarding licenses......to be a paid pilot, you will need at least a Commercial license with an instrument rating - it would be best to also have your multi-engine rating first as well - but, things are always changing in the 'regulatory' arena, so these requirements may increase in the near future.

As for costs, in general, it's less expensive to learn to fly in America. BUT....AVOID THE PILOT MILLS!!! (Just look in the private flying forum for information about this).
Costs, of course, vary....and are based on the number of hours it takes you to complete each license course. If you train in America, you should plan on spending approximately $4-5,000 USD for your first license (Private Pilot-Single Engine Land, Airplane), and that's just for the airplane rental and instructor.....MUCH more if you want to fly helicopters.

Hope this information gives you a start....best of luck with your future plans! Do NOT let ANYONE talk you out of your dreams!! If this is TRULY what you want to do....then GO for it! :ok:

Basil
4th Sep 2010, 15:12
Have a look in the Wannabes forums. (edit - Ah, got there)

Apart from the Global (as we're told) economic downturn, the max age to fly in command has just gone up from 60 to 65 (and, in BA, retirement from 55 to 65) and will engender a transient reduction in demand for civil airline pilots.
OTTOMH that should work through in a couple of years.

Remember, there's also RN, Army and RAF helicopters to consider.

Oh, yes, and we're mostly a bit more agreeable than you may judge from our postings in Prune :p

having messed around in fast jets for a few years before getting a proper job flying passengers!
Just as AD will surely and deservedly get a come-uppance for that little quip.;)