PDA

View Full Version : R/T exam and Skills test

1toB
9th Jun 2001, 13:17
Hi,
wondering on how to learn for the R/T PPL exam, I already have the 'Radiotelephony manual' by the CAA but I'm finding it hard to realate it to actual situations.
I'm trying to complete all my PPL exams this summer before I do my As-levels in September, and just wanted to know what I really need to have learnt for the skills test, what it envolves, how long it is etc.
Any advice on other PPL exams much appreciated particularly any books u found useful or methods of learning stuff.
Much aprreciated.

skydriller
9th Jun 2001, 16:25
All the Trevor Thom books are good, but make sure they are the new JAA ones.

When I was practicing for my RT Exam, I was told to plan imaginary routes all over the country and aswell as doing the Nav. preparation (good for helping with the Nav exam too) , go through what you would need to say over the radio, and who you would need to talk to, from start up to touchdown. At first write everything down, including what may get said to you from ATC etc. then do just your bits ad lib for a a few routes.

The RT practical is a made up route, which is done in exactly this way, they let you make notes to plan who you need to talk with too.

This excercise is just an extension of your normal pre-flight planning for a X-country, I found it good fun.

Be sure to bone up on MATZ/CTR crossing, Special VFR and diversions/being lost, and you will definitely need to know Mayday/Pan calls.

Good luck, SD.

Aussie Andy
9th Jun 2001, 23:07
Hi,

This question was recently asked in thread at http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum53/HTML/000550.html in May, so you might like to take a look there for some ideas.

Andy

Noggin
10th Jun 2001, 19:44
Try Safety Sense Leaflet 22. There is a complete RTF practical test in there. Download from: http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/includes/ga/22leafle.pdf

1toB
10th Jun 2001, 22:30
cheers guys, still a bit apprehensive but got 6 GCSEs to do first.
Thanks for your help.
Can any one shed some light on the skills test?
thanks again!

simfly
11th Jun 2001, 18:59
You get given a route, do your planning and weight and balance. Then, go up, do your nav, get diverted. Do your PFL, I did mine from 3000 feet onto a runway, then your flapless approaches/go-arounds/EFATO's etc.., then manouvers, stalling/turns etc etc. Just all the things you will have done in training.

------------------
[email protected]

The ground won't hurt you, if you hit it hard enough!

juswonnafly
11th Jun 2001, 21:09
1toB

The AFE Private Pilots Licence Course Book 2 will tell you all you need to know about radio (and a whole lot more!)

It is good (I always advise my students to use it)

Good luck with the GCSE's, I know how you feel (my son is doing his now also)

JWF

1toB
12th Jun 2001, 22:16
Cheers juswonnafly,
I'll have a look for it - only 3 GCSE's left then I'm going flying again!
1toB