PDA

View Full Version : Quick Suggestion please anybody?

IFollowRoads
8th Jun 2001, 14:39
Going to do a duty free run on Sunday, and need to get the GenDec in by 4pm today! (or go via Lydd or similar)

Anybody recommend Le Touquet/Dinard/Calais whatever, that has a suitable tabac open on a Sunday lunchtime

jayemm
8th Jun 2001, 19:58
Although not v. experienced on all this, I did my first cross-channel a few weekends ago to Le Touquet and had a great day. Taxis wait to take you from the Airfield into town (about £5), and most of the shops and restaurants are open on Sunday. I didn't go for Duty Free, but picked up some really good wine. I didn't see the big sort of Supermarkets that I believe people go for, but a smallish supermarket was open.

I had absolutely no customs checks in or out.

IFollowRoads
8th Jun 2001, 20:41
Brilliant.

Just wanted to be sure when we got over something would be open - don't really care where!

IFR

New Bloke
8th Jun 2001, 22:09
Le Touquet is great, take a cab, walk or hire bikes and ride into town. Another favorite with the "weekend" Brits is Deauville.

I think that Calias is quite near Britian favorite Hypermarket next to the tunnel entrance.

Have a good time

arrow2
9th Jun 2001, 00:24
IFR,

L2K is probably your best bet for a Sunday - always something happening with the French going for their "promenade" on a Sunday afternoon.

But remember:-

- No such thing as "Duty Free" now between UK and France (and other EU states).So all you can do is go to a local shop and buy there if it is cheaper than the UK (which for some booze and most ciggys it usually is).

Gen Dec does not exist anymore. There is no requirement to clear customs outbound from a UK field , but you have to declare inbound pax , ETA, point of departure etc. My airfield needs 4 hours notice of this which tends to be the norm unless you fly inbound to a customs field such as EGHI.

Have a good time| I am jetting off for a weeks aviating in Florida tomorrow so I will think of you all....

A2

Fuji Abound
9th Jun 2001, 01:13
There is a supermarket just to the north of the airport at L2K, about 5 minutes by taxi, 15 minutes by bike - much better than the one in the town.

IFollowRoads
9th Jun 2001, 03:03
Thanks everybody. The original was posted in a bit of a panic, (hence duty free, I meant 'not rip-off Britain prices') as my base is on a concession, and we are encouraged to get the forms in during Mon-Fri working hours.

I know it has to be a *French* customs airfield, but A2 (If you're still here/see this), where did you get the outbound/inbound requirements from? I have seen so many differing requirements now (some of which may be due to very old posters/notices displayed) that I would like to find the definitive source.

Three up + private flight + cost share + 800 fags + bottle of bundy = free flight! Yippee! :)

IFR

(Eduted fur pur spillung)

[This message has been edited by IFollowRoads (edited 08 June 2001).]

New Bloke
9th Jun 2001, 12:49
I have a customs declaration document in word format you can use. I am off to a wedding now so if your E-mail is on your profile expect a word doc from me. If not, tough.

You need to fill it in, sign it and fax it to the Airfield you will return to. You also need to file a flight plan at least one hour before you take off (for both legs) and of course you have those constant wear life jackts don't you?

(Edit)...just checked your profile and no E-mail, before you leave, fill in a customs doc, make sure you stay away 4 hours.

Also, not sure if you have done this before but if not, the Channel is usually quite murky, the vis is hopeless and you should be prepared to go onto instruments just after coasting out. (Sorry if this is teaching Granny to suck eggs)

[This message has been edited by New Bloke (edited 09 June 2001).]

Cahlibahn
9th Jun 2001, 13:31
The Customs/Immigration rules are listed in the AIP (GEN 1.2.1.2) See http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/gen/10102.pdf

jayemm
9th Jun 2001, 16:26
Don't forget the drawback which can save you £40-50.

When I went a few sundays ago, the form filling (most but not all of which is intuitive) took about an hour. I guess it'll get quicker with practice.

Right Stuff
9th Jun 2001, 19:58
Can someone roughly explain the whole drawback business to me? (Apologies for the hijack, no need to set 7500!)

jayemm
9th Jun 2001, 20:26
I'm new to this so check out some other responses as well. My understanding is that when you fly out of the UK you are effectively exporting the fuel you have loaded before the flight....so you're entitled to the tax back = drawback.

You can save even more money: there's another part of the drawback process which I'm told many people miss.....I didn't fully understand it, but it goes something like...you can claim up to a full tank's worth if you log all the flights since you flew out of the UK.

Does anyone have a better and more accurate description?

eyeinthesky
10th Jun 2001, 00:23
Drawback:

As I understand it, flights from the UK to the Continent, the Channel Isles, Ireland and Isle of Man are eligible for Drawback. This is a refund of the duty paid on fuel, and is 24.75p per litre (or thereabouts) at the moment.

You are entitled to claim the drawback on full tanks provided:

1) Your load in the aircraft permits you to depart with full tanks (and remember your 4 hours notice to customs will list the people on board, so don't fiddle it!)

2) You depart straight abroad (i.e. no customs stops or whatever on the way) with full tanks;

3) You can provide fuel receipts if required to support the claim that enough fuel has been loaded to fill the tanks since the aircraft last went abroad (i.e not necessarily only the refuelling you do just beore you depart). If the a/c goes abroad a lot and everybody is claiming their drawback then you can't have it twice. This means that if for example the a/c is just back from France and has half tanks left you can only claim for what it takes to fill it up since the refund has already been given on the first lot.

I have never been asked to produce the receipts themselves, but you do need to give receipt numbers on the form you send off. They usually send you a cheque within a couple of weeks and will also arrange for it to be paid direct to your bank on future claims if you want to.

It is worth doing: On an Aztec it's about £150 for full tanks, and on a Cherokee about £60.

Hope this helps.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

juswonnafly
10th Jun 2001, 11:03
Sorry to sound dim here but........

Can I fill the a/c before flying to Jersey and then claim drawback on the FULL TANK?

Then when in Jersey I take it that I can refuel the tanks at 'Jersey prices'

That all seems a bit like 'buy one, get one free'

If this IS true..........Wahay! Jersey here I come!

JWF :)

QNH 1013
10th Jun 2001, 23:44
Where do you send the completed drawback form? There is no address on the form and the four customs officers I asked on Friday hadn't a clue.
Also, what does the phrase "This form must be presented to Customs and Excise before clearance" printed in bold type on the top of the front page mean?
Jersey avgas last week was 56 pence per litre. Landing fee was £9 including 7-days parking.

eyeinthesky
11th Jun 2001, 23:57
juswonnafly:

Yes you can do what you ask, subject to the provisos I have already given. You are being refunded the duty paid on the fuel in the UK which you are exporting. The fact that it may be cheaper in Jersey is irrelevant, since that depends on the duty rate in the country you visit.
It is more expensive in Holland, I think, so you lose on that one.

You need to bear in mind that the drawback is only about 25 pence per litre, but the price differential between UK and Jersey is c.45 pence per litre, so it is a better deal to maximise your uplift in Jersey. If you go with full tanks ex UK you won't be able to uplift as much in Jersey (depending on how long your flight there is).

I suppose it depends on the basis on which you are operating the a/c.
- If it is a wet rate hire with reimbursement for fuel uplifted elsewhere at cost then a full tanks drawback would seem the best plan.
- If it's a wet rate hire with fuel uplifted elsewhere reimbursed at the home fuel price then maximise your uplift in Jersey (and claim all the drawback you can).
- If it's dry rate hire or you own the aircraft then it you will need to balance the benefit of a full tanks uplift versus the money you can save by burning avgas at 56p a litre instead of £1!

The address: C.O.P.E. for Mineral Oils Relief is the name, but can't remember the address. Will check it out and revert.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Flybywyre
12th Jun 2001, 00:43
Send completed form to.............

HM Customs and Excise
Mineral Oil Relief
Dobson House
Regent Centre
Gosforth
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE3 3PF

Should you have any questions that you would like to ask regarding the whole proceedure of drawback then you can call them on

0191 201 1700

Ask for the "Oils team"

Regards
FBW

juswonnafly
13th Jun 2001, 13:06
Theax guys

JWF