PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Log Books

Fuji Abound
8th Jun 2001, 14:36
I keep the CAP 398, 399 and 400 entries on an excel spreadsheet - makes the adding up easier. As I transfer this information into the CAA log books for the upteenth time, can some tell me in this electronic age whether they really still have to be hand written - or is there a better way?

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jun 2001, 15:21
For aircraft under 2730kg they still have to be in hard-copy within 7 days.

There isn't a better way, unless you can find a way to print into CAP398!

G

Chocks Wahay
8th Jun 2001, 16:47
Is it possible to print the log out on A4 (or whatever) in the required format and then store it in a binder, or does it absolutely have to be done by hand?

SteveR
8th Jun 2001, 17:25
Are there any electronic representations of these CAPs anywhere please? I presume we're talking here about what happens to the entries I make into the 'techlog' at my club when I rent a/c?

(I'm going to make e-logbooks capable of storing this stuff soon).

Steve R

------------------
PPL(A) EGTO
View my logbook, back up your own:
http://www.e-logbooks.co.uk

Fuji Abound
9th Jun 2001, 01:08
SteveR

Thanks - but do you think an electronic form would be approved by the CAA - I know they have approved one version of the personal log. I wonder if you print the excel spreadsheet in a size to stick in the book this would count!? I wonder what flying schools do - I cant believe they all write up the CAPs by hand from the club booking sheets?

SteveR
9th Jun 2001, 01:45
I've a horrible feeling they do. I accompanied my flying school when he flew a Cessna 152 into Biggin for a 50 hr check - and he sat in a grubby office transcribing something for ages.

Steve R

IFollowRoads
9th Jun 2001, 02:47
For insomniacs, the ANO Part III section 17 (2) refers, and states:-
"The log books.... shall be of a type approved by the CAA"

It also adds in sub-section 4 "Any document which is incorporated by reference in a log book shall be deemed, for the purposes of this Order, to be part of the log book"

As most engineering firms now add a line at maintenance along the lines of "Work held on file at XYZ under file ref ABC", then if these are on a computer, you potentially have the solution - in the logbook add an entry along the lines of "Flight details held on system UVW in file DEF"

In any case, I an not a lawyer, so it looks like a call to Gatwick, on the basis there is nothing mentioned on the CAA website (sigh..)

IFR

Rusty Cessna
9th Jun 2001, 20:09
My Flying school curently uses an A4 binder, hand written and a computer spreadsheet for their aircraft, I beleive they are going to phase out the binder, but I am not sure, hope it helps.

Rusty