PDA

View Full Version : Differences training

FlyingForFun
20th Mar 2002, 13:37
Hi!. .. .Two questions regarding differences training - both of them I think I know the answer to, but would like someone to confirm.. .. .1) I've had differences training on constant speed prop and retractable undercarriage in the USA, by an FAA instructor. Is this training valid in the UK, on my JAR license?. .. .2) Is differences training required for the turbo-charger on a Rotax 914? As I understand it (I haven't actually seen one yet) there's an engine management system which controls the turbo-charger for you, so there's no need for pilot input, but I'd guess that turbo-charger difference training is required anyway, is this correct?. .. .Thanks,. .. .FFF. .----------

Stan Evil
21st Mar 2002, 01:32
Question 1 is easy:. .. .No. Differences training must be signed off in your logbook by a JAA/CAA FI or CRI. He doesn't have to fly with you and so, if you're already up to speed on it all, he should be happy with a quick groundschool session.. .. .Question 2:. .. .I would say that you still need differences training but, again, this need not be airborne instruction.

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2002, 14:32
Thanks Stan.. .. .I was wrong on 1), and didn't realise that the training could be ground-based, so I'm glad I checked!. .. .FFF. .----------

Sensible
22nd Mar 2002, 23:36
I did tailwheel trainingin the USA and checked with the CAA beforehand that the instructor sign off in the USA counted which it did!! you may wish to check with the CAA but in any event, the sign off by the US instructor must be written into your log book!

FlyingForFun
23rd Mar 2002, 18:10
Sensible,. .. .UK licenses don't need any special sign-off for tail-wheel. This is an absolutely stupid situation, and anyone who tries to fly a taildragger without getting proper training deserves whatever damage they inflict upon themselves and their plane. But it does mean that you can get your tail-wheel training wherever you want, without having to worry about pleasing the CAA.. .. .(This is based on Trevor Thom, volume 2. "NOTE: Pilots who later wish to fly more complicatd aircraft equipped with variable-pitch propellers, retractable undercarriages, turbo or supercharged engines, or aeroplanes with pressurised cabins, are required to undergo differences training with a flying instructor, and such training must be recorded in the pilot's logbook." No mention of tail-wheels.). .. .FFF. .----------

bookworm
23rd Mar 2002, 19:16
FFF. .. .Be careful when relying on textbooks for matters of air law. They go out of date very quickly.. .. .Differences training is required for tailwheel aircraft, according to <a href="http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf" target="_blank">the CAA FCL's GID33</a>. It was a relatively late addition to the list.

FlyingForFun
24th Mar 2002, 13:36
I stand corrected. Thanks bookworm.. .. .FFF. .--------