PDA

View Full Version : I/Rating Renewal between 5-7 years

FlyingGoat
3rd Sep 2010, 09:53
I'm aiming to renew an I/Rating (UK), from ME to SE, which is approaching the 7-year limit. LASORS LAS Section 5 refers me to Section 3b of Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240, which I can't find.

CAA couldn't help either and referred me to an IATA website which seems unlikely. I tried the EASA site, and have been browsing through a 519-page PDF but no sign of Appendix 3.

Tried Google and think I have found the equivalent on the Macedonian Aviation Authority site, but doesn't look what I need.

Could anyone help? Apologies for a rather tedious question, but I'm a LASORS virgin, and looks like that's the incorrect source.

Whopity
3rd Sep 2010, 12:52
From JAR-FCL1 (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607069.pdf)(b) Renewal
(1) If an instrument rating, has expired, the applicant shall
(i) meet refresher training and additional requirements as determined
by the Authority, and
(ii) complete section 3b of
Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 including the flight preparation as a skill test.
The rating will be valid from the date of
completion of the renewal requirements.

The CAAs requirement is in LASORS Section E1.5RENEWAL OF AN IR(A)
Where an Instrument Rating has expired by more
than 5 years but less than 7 years and IR
privileges have not been exercised in any other
category of aircraft (eg helicopters) or under the
privileges of an ICAO licence, an IR Proficiency
Check with a CAA Staff Flight Examiner (for
single-pilot aircraft) or a Flight Operations Inspector
(for multi-pilot aircraft) will be required.

So you will have to do your renewal with a CAA FE.
If you go over 7 years you will have to sit the IR Theory Exams again!

Section 3b of Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 is the IR Test schedule (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf)

FlyingGoat
5th Sep 2010, 11:13
That's seriously useful, many thanks.

The specific answer to the above is on this link (http://www.jaat.eu/publications/jars/607069.pdf) at about page 161 on the PDF.

Slight thread creep: I need to know the a/c requirements for an SEP I/R skills test: instrumentation / aids etc. Is there a succinct summary anyone knows? I assume the a/c has to be approved. I understand that use of GPS for some parts of the test are permitted these days.

BillieBob
5th Sep 2010, 16:06
The requirements for approval of an aircraft for use on the IR Skill Test are in Standards Document 7(A) (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_07_A.pdf). Guidance for candidates taking the IR Skill Test is contained in Standards Document 01(A) (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_01.PDF)

Whopity
5th Sep 2010, 16:51
However that is for an initial IR Skill Test. There is nothing to say that a renewal test in this situation has to be taken in an approved aircraft. Any aircraft that is suitably equipped for IFR flight should be acceptable.

From ORS5-2513.7 Flight tests1
3.7.1 Tests or checks carried out by an examiner
3.7.1.1 Flight tests
Upon making an application for a flight test, where the test is to be conducted by an examiner who is an employee of the CAA:
3.7.1.3 Proficiency check for a class or type rating or instrument rating
Upon making an application for a proficiency check conducted in an aircraft or flight simulator at a place specified by the CAA for a class or type rating or instrument rating, in the event that the test is to be conducted by an examiner who is an employee of the CAA, the applicant shall pay a charge of £192:

provided that if the test is to be conducted other than at a place specified by the CAA the applicant shall pay in addition to the charge of £192 a charge of such amount as may be decided by the CAA having regard to the expense incurred by it but the total charge in respect of each application shall not exceed £4,040.

Crosswind Limits
5th Sep 2010, 20:12
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway!

My multi IR SPA was last renewed almost 5 years ago (will be in October). If I keep a current multi crew IR going ad infinitem does the 5 and 7 year rule still apply to my multi IR SPA?

Just curious in case I feel like renewing it in say 2 or 3 years! ;)

Thanks!

Whopity
5th Sep 2010, 21:00
So long as you maintain a valid IR of some sort then you can reactivate the IR privileges on another type/class simply by passing a proficiency check. The 5/7 year rule only applies if you don't hold a valid IR.

Crosswind Limits
5th Sep 2010, 21:04
As I suspected! :ok: Thanks very much for your prompt response Whopity! :)

FlyingGoat
16th Oct 2010, 17:17
Whopity - many thanks for your invaluable reply - apologies for the delay in acknowledging....

cavortingcheetah
16th Oct 2010, 18:00
(So long as you maintain a valid IR of some sort then you can reactivate the IR privileges on another type/class simply by passing a proficiency check. The 5/7 year rule only applies if you don't hold a valid IR.)

Could you please be kind enough to answer the following question? I'm sure you can see where I am coming from on this so I've kept it brief. Thank you.

If my UK/IR has expired, not by 5 years, but my South African IR is current, do I have 5/7 years from the date of the expiry of the SA/IR in terms of the UK 5/7 year rule?

Whopity
17th Oct 2010, 09:01
So long as you hold a valid ICAO IR, the UK/JAA 5/7 year renewal rule does not apply.

cavortingcheetah
17th Oct 2010, 09:39
Thank you very much for that information. It's much appreciated.

Whopity
17th Oct 2010, 12:31
Now we must be careful regarding the 7 year requirement for ATPL exam credits. JAR-FCL 1.185
(c) If the IR(A) has not been
revalidated/renewed within the preceding
7 years, the holder will be required to retake the
IR(A) theoretical knowledge examination and
skill test in accordance with Appendix 1 to JARFCL
1.210. and from JAR-FCL 1.005(2) Whenever licences, ratings,
authorisations, approvals or certificates are
mentioned in JAR–FCL, these are meant to
be licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals
or certificates issued in accordance with
JAR–FCL. In all other cases these documents
are specified as e.g. ICAO or national
licences.Thus it does not state in JAR-FCL that an ICAO IR will hold your JAA ATPL credits. The reference I gave was with regard to renewing/revalidating an IR under UK rules which is in LASORS 2008 Para E1.5.

The UK CAA may well accept the same requirement (I don't know) but another JAA State may not!

cavortingcheetah
17th Oct 2010, 12:35
I ought to have a copy with me in darkest Africa but I leant mine to an orthopaedic surgeon in the UK and I forgot to get it back from him. My fault entirely of course.

Whopity
17th Oct 2010, 12:44
Its here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008%20%28Bookmarked%29.pdf

500 above
17th Oct 2010, 12:51
Thanks again Whopity

I did ask the CAA, 4 months and several emails later still no reply! I have it verbally from FCL but nothing in writing...

Regards.

culloden
17th Oct 2010, 16:30
An IR Proficiency Check with a CAA Staff Flight Examiner is a normal revalidation/renewal flight test not an initial IR skills Test.

Freo
2nd Apr 2011, 17:46
If an ICAO IR is valid, is there any requirement to send any paperwork to the UK CAA from overseas or necessary to fill in any pages in the UK licence?

Let's say I wanted to return to the UK to work next month, will the CAA renew my IR by showing them my current ICAO IR?

Also, does anyone know, if I wanted to do a JAA Type Rating on an MPA, would my ICAO ME IR satisfy the IR requirement to start the training on my UK CAA licence?

Hope the above all makes sense.

Thanks