PDA

View Full Version : Rotterdam

windspeed
7th Jun 2001, 19:24
Hi all!

The old ball and chain wants me to fly her to Rotterdam for a couple of days in July.
Just wanted some info e.g. overnight cost of parking a PA28, do they accept single engine
VFR aircraft? I know I will find this in a Jepp, but I would rather get a few comments from people that have actually flown there already. I have done a few overseas trips b4
like Man-Dub, but that was a few years ago.
Any info greatly appreciated
Regards

100LL
8th Jun 2001, 01:46
Been there twice, Always seems to be a CB sat over the Airfield (think they make em there. Cant remember the prices it's all funny money but give em a call, Seem to remember that they dont like light A/C tho.

eyeinthesky
8th Jun 2001, 14:40
Did some training there a good few years back, and since then the noise nimbys have taken a bit of a hold. There are restrictions on operating light a/c during the weekends, I think, and certainly no circuits.

They have fairly strict VFR arrival and departure routes, so make sure you have details on them. If you are coming from the UK, the one you will probably use will be a Hotel arrival, which used to be 1500' QNH(Airfield is BELOW MSL) over Hoek van Holland and then abeam Delft, with outbounds at 1000'. Don't take my word for it, however.

Cost of parking etc not that exorbitant from what I remember, but go-juice pretty pricey. If you get fuel, you have to go into to the terminal to pay for it, so get it on arrival! The procedures for getting back airside involve seeing 3 or 4 different officials at opposite ends of the terminal, so don't leave anything in the plane!

This was the situation when I was last there about 3 years ago, so it might have changed. Another nice place is Midden Zeeland (EHMZ) or Teuge (EHTE) which are both friendlier to GA. If you want to go to Amsterdam, consider Lelystad (EHLE) which is about 30 mins by train and cheaper than Rotterdam (but you have to fly further).

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

tailwheel
12th Jun 2001, 12:59
I have flown quite a few times to Rotterdam.
Cessna 150 Tailwheel.
I have found Zestinhoven (Rotterdam) ATC very helpfull.
The flight is quite simple - if you want a copy of the plog I use send me an e.mail I will copy it to you. basically it's simply
Dover - Koksyde (KOK VOR)- Oostende - COA (called Costa)- HND - RTD.

or simpler - set yr VOR to RTD 090 - follow the coast till the nedle centers - turn right.

Couple of things - contact Rotterdam latest at Middenzeeland - ask for progressive taxi - there are bloody lines everywhere - they usually park you behind the hangers - most of the little parking spaces near the fence are taken by - club flyers - so dont park there someone will want you to move.

ASK FOR STARTUP - they get irrate if you just start.

Fuel when you land - you can lose an hour if you leave it till you go.

cost of fuel - about the same as everywhere.

Note : I see someone said Middenzeeland is another option - be carefull - customs is now only available there with 24 hrs notice (since about Jan. This year.)

last thing Rotterdam is below sea level.

Its a great place to visit. buses to town and easy flight - if you dont mind water.

eyeinthesky
13th Jun 2001, 00:44
Tailwheel:

Beacons are HSD (Hamstede) and RTM (Rotterdam), not as in your post.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Ace Rimmer
13th Jun 2001, 12:23
I'd be surprised if they have aanti- GA stance since Roland Wondolleck (the head honcho) is a dyed in the wool flying addict himself.