PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

Micra Man
28th Jul 2001, 12:05
This subject has proberbly already been covered so please forgive me as I am new to this site and the web.

What I am after is info on headsets. What is best to buy, ANR or passive, does cost play a part, ie if I get a cheapie will it stand up to the rigours of GA, does a top brand guarantee it will last a good while, etc etc.

Norman Goering
28th Jul 2001, 17:36
Micra Man,

I have a Dave Clark set for sale, non-PNR, at a good price. Mail me if interested.

GAF4139
28th Jul 2001, 19:41
Micra Man

There is currently a thread about headsets in the Private Flying Forum. You might find it useful. (Best headset for £250 -£300 ??)
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=53&t=000712

GAF4139

You want it when?
30th Jul 2001, 11:33
Micra Man - this flying fun is expensive - I think we are in the same part of the training (forgive me if not) both pre-solo? I've just purchased a set of Student PPL-40s (I think) from a warehouse (name not mentioned 'cos of advertising) but they are in the sub £100 mark. They are comfortable and work well - once I get my PPL then I might treat myself to something better and leave the initial ones for passengers in the future. Invest in the flying and ground school not the kit!

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: You want it when? ]

FNG
30th Jul 2001, 13:39
Shell out to protect your shell-likes. The noise levels in many light aircraft exceed those permitted in industry. If you intend to fly at all frequently, you should get the best ear protection you can. This may mean shelling out big style, but remember: if God had intended man to fly he would have given him more money.

Kermit 180
30th Jul 2001, 16:13
It all depends on how much flying you intend on doing. For a lot of flying, you should get a good quality headset (usually meaning a lrgish lump of cash), or go a bit cheaper but still with good noise attenuation, if you intend on doing the odd bit here and there.
Things to look for are mentioned in other threads, but as a quick and rough guide, look for a headset that is comfortable (especially if you are going to wear glasses or sun glasses underneath), with parts that are easily changed should something go wrong.

Kermie :)

BayAreaLondoner
30th Jul 2001, 20:19
Micra Man,

I recommend a headset with ANR, mostly 'cause I have a pair. If your ears are already shot to pieces, though, you can skip the ANR :)

Seriously, though, check out the thread that is mentioned above and also do a search on www.deja.com (http://www.deja.com) (looking in the rec.aviation.* newsgroups).

Finally, a mate of mine in Reading (England) has a pair of DC 13.4s for sale. Email me if you're interested. [email protected]

David.

Toppers
2nd Aug 2001, 02:04
WHoooaaaaahhh chaps.

This chap is learning to fly and he is being recommended to buy ANR headsets or "the best he can afford".

Listen up Micra Man, save your shillings for learning to fly, don't get caught up in all the "gadgetry/image" crap just yet. I learned to fly from the best place (just west of Andover) and was reliably instructed to wait until I really knew what I wanted from accessories before I bought them.

The headsets I used were probably used by Noah and Nelly on the arc but they worked and my 1.5 hr X-countries didn't warrant £300 being spent on gadgets.

No doubt there'll be a flare up in true ppruners style over my comments but "flash gadgets don't make you fly any better".

Unusual Attitude
2nd Aug 2001, 03:57
Oh I dunno, a nice flash set of NVG's would certainly increase the survival chances during a night time forced landing. ;)

Not that I've got the cash to buy a set though !

In general I'd agree with Toppers, at PPL training level your brain is already going to be overloaded with the actual flying of the aircraft.
So much so in fact that it probably wont notice that its being crushed in a cheapo pair of cans.

A couple of hundred hours later however, when flying becomes less demanding you'll certainly notice it after an hour or so that's for sure !!

Best save your money for the actual training, either that or buy a cheapo pair if you really want your own set.
I've used those Harry's HM-40 things for a few years without any probs and they only cost about £80 ish.

Saying that though my new PA17-79's arrived the other day and after 2 hours flying in them I'm never going back !

Regards

UA

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Unusual Attitude ]

BayAreaLondoner
2nd Aug 2001, 04:13
I don't know... I think the original poster is more than capable of making up his own mind assuming he is able to get information. That's what most of the other posts were suggesting, I thought.
I bought an ANR pair as a student pilot because I got them for a good price, am serious about flying and wanted to protect my hearing. Obviously, it is up to individuals to make up their own mind.

UA - glad you like the PA 17-79s.

FNG
2nd Aug 2001, 13:46
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that flash kit produces better flying. Hey, I've got a great big watch but I still get lost when they change the points on the railway line. It's worth spending dosh, however, to avoid going deaf. Comfort is a secondary consideration, although in some circumstances (perhaps unlikely to be encountered in the shortish trips flown by most ppls) discomfort may degrade performance and ultimately threaten safety.

I am probably just paranoid as I have perfect eyesight but, by way of compensation, slightly iffy hearing. My dad can read numberplates on the moon but is deaf as a post. I seem to have inherited these traits but I go and choose a hobby which involves the equivalent of sticking my head in a tin bucket while someone bangs on it with a spanner for an hour or so.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
2nd Aug 2001, 22:09
If you don't want to / can't afford to spend £250+ then seriously consider a second-hand headset. You can pick up a "professional" headset for the cost of a new "student" headset, it'll last longer and if you ever sell it you'll get pretty much all your money back.

A good places to look is your club noticeboard although you might find a friendly PPRuNer with a spare set (as I did, thanks IFR!).

--Mik

AC-DC
4th Aug 2001, 12:46
All gave sound advice that will be pointless to repeat. Second hand sets are just as good and I think that the headsets from ‘The Warehouse’ are very good I know them. If you want to have ANR set you can opt for one of the following. Buy a new set for near £300 pounds or upgrade you existing PNR to ANR by installing the ANR kit. I have done the later. The drawback is that the sound has a slight digital effect but still it is a good solution.