PDA

View Full Version : "..........Request"

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Sep 2010, 09:00
10,000 apologies to the thread police if this one has already been answered.

When flying along its typical to hear "Airline123 with request" typically followed by "go ahead". Would controllers prefer if we just cut to the chase (subject to frequency load) and just come out with it "Airline123 request....."?

Capt Claret
2nd Sep 2010, 09:30
Surely it depends upon the request. Altitude changes, deviations left & right if track for weather avoidance, and track shortening are routine. I'm not an ATCO but would expect that these sort of requests need no particular warning in most cases.

However, a request to ATC that they phone your wife seeking explanation as to why your best mate's car is in the driveway whilst your off on a 5 day away trip (you saw it parked there, whilst visually monitoring adherence to the SID), including phone number, probably requires the ATCO be given a heads up, so they're ready to take notes. :8

jackieofalltrades
2nd Sep 2010, 09:48
I think Capt Claret has answered that well. Personally I would prefer "Airline123 request......" as this is quicker and cuts down RT loading.

It's a pet peeve of mine to hear the drawn out conversation "Airline123 with request" "go ahead" "Airline123 request higher"

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Sep 2010, 09:56
Thats my point exactly.

fireflybob
2nd Sep 2010, 10:39
It's a pet peeve of mine to hear the drawn out conversation "Airline123 with request" "go ahead" "Airline123 request higher"

jackieofalltrades, couldn't agree more! Someone out there is teaching this trash!

Just say "Request Flight Level XXX"

Instead of:-

Ah Blogsoworth Control SkyGod XXX Request"

"SkyGod XXX Pass Your Message"

"Ah SkyGod XXX we're in light chop here, err we were just wondering if FL XXX is available?"

"Yes SkyGod XXX FL XXX is available - do you wish to climb?"

"Affirm"

"SkyGod XXX Climb Flight Level XXX"

"Climb Flight Level XXX SkyGod XXX"

It's drives me nuts when I hear this, especially on a busy frequency.

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Sep 2010, 10:42
And there was me thinking I was the only one with this problem; glad I'm not alone.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Sep 2010, 10:50
XXX: "London Control, request"
LC: "XXX pass your request"
XXX: "We'd like Vera Lynn singing Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover, please".

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Sep 2010, 10:52
Wonder where this bad/annoying habit originated from? :ugh:

orgASMic
2nd Sep 2010, 10:57
If it is standard stuff, come out and say it with any info that might help my decision ie "SkyGod XXX, request climb/descend FL YYY to avoid turbulence".

If it is non-standard, give me some warning so I can get ready to copy.

Glamdring
2nd Sep 2010, 11:19
I would say that "Go Ahead" isn't the best reply though. It's "Pass Your Message" for a reason :ok:

adc123
2nd Sep 2010, 11:33
I dont mind when pilots use the phrase 'request'. Prepares you for something out of the ordinary and allows you to sort other things out before dealing with the request.

fireflybob
2nd Sep 2010, 15:29
I dont mind when pilots use the phrase 'request'. Prepares you for something out of the ordinary and allows you to sort other things out before dealing with the request.

Yes, adc123, but it's being used now for requests which are not "out of the ordinary" - that's the point!

Do ATC call an a/c and say "Request" - a/c replies "Pass Your Message", atc - "Turn right heading 150 degrees" - similar type of thing?

LEGAL TENDER
2nd Sep 2010, 19:17
Not all requests are about change of level or heading, which can be dealt with quite rapidly.
Sometimes we get pretty random requests about the weather at XXXX, the opening hours at ZZZZ, danger area status, relay of company messages and all sorts of stuff. I think in those cases it's handy to have a bit of warning from the pilot in case they are going to block the frequency for the next half hour!!!
There's more to ATC than "heading, level, speed" or "cleared to land".. usually the closer to class G airspace you get, the more weird stuff you deal with (and scruffy customers).. bit like being a receptionist at the Hilton or at the Travelodge ;)

bottom rung
2nd Sep 2010, 20:37
That Hilton/Travelodge reference is the most inspired comment I've read in the ATC section for months!:ok:

Bullethead
2nd Sep 2010, 21:15
I've had similar transmissions from the ATC side of the house as well, e.g.

ATC "Skygod XXXX I've got a re-route for you are you ready to copy?"
A/C "Skygod XXXX go ahead"

Followed by a lengthy route clearance.

Point noted re routine requests and more complex queries.

Regards,
BH

divingduck
2nd Sep 2010, 23:04
The standard response once upon a time in Oz was "hum a few bars and I'll see if I know it":E

adc123
3rd Sep 2010, 00:12
no idea how to quote, but fireflybob, along with everything a little common sense is needed. I work in a tower environment, if an aircraft wanted to give me a report of windshear, or problem during taxi etc, i would expect them to start with a 'request' call, especially if its busy..I haven't heard it used for anything other than something like that.

conflict alert
3rd Sep 2010, 09:04
hate it - just get it out in the open so we can deal with it...its either going to be a yes we can, no we can't or yes you can, no you can't. Some of my responses over the years.

abc request
"denied"

abc request
"pass visa number and go ahead"

abc request
"you have reached your daily limit"

all generally meet with silence!!!! followed by the request with laughter in the background......

darn
3rd Sep 2010, 19:41
The one exception is if your talking to a military controller, often they're working both UHF and VHF so it's worth checking they're actually listening to you before you launch into your war and peace.

Goldfish Jack
4th Sep 2010, 04:53
Divingduck has about the best answer! Heavens above you are in VHF 2 way continious contact - just complete the darn sentence.

Told a few guys yesterday I was not doing requests today and that took care of those silly transmissions

Blockla
4th Sep 2010, 15:44
Yesterday morning around 5am: (In a busy enough period)

Pilot: "ABC123 request"
Me: "ABC123"
Pilot: "We'd like to put FL370 on request when you can manage it, ABC123"
Me: "Don't be shy just ask properly"
Pilot: "Say again, ABC123"
Me: "ABC123 climb to FL370"
Pilot: "here we go"
Me: "ABC123 say assigned level"
Pilot: "say again"
Me: "ABC123 report assigned level"
Pilot: "Outta 332 on climb"
Me: "ABC123, say the level where you will stop climb, your assigned level"
Pilot: "FL370"
Me: "ABC123, can you use your callsign next transmission and say your assigned level again"
Pilot: "ABC123, say again"
Me: "Never mind I'll just watch the scope and hope you don't bust your level"...

EpsilonVaz
4th Sep 2010, 16:06
Every time I hear

"XYZ123 Request"
"XYZ123 Go ahead"
"XYZ123 request flight level 390"

I die a little inside :(.

Ahh-40612
4th Sep 2010, 19:17
90% of my "requests" come when the RT is going hammer and tongs and someone in their own little world "requests a straight-in for Luton/Stansted".:ugh::ugh:

BrATCO
4th Sep 2010, 20:06
Pilot : "ABC123 request...jthdsecjhd...FL360"
ATC : "Two stations"
Pilot : "DEF245 request... gvjybvrthj... FL380"
ATC : "ABC123, climb FL380" (Tried a short-cut... never works)
Pilot : "Sorry, unable, ABC123"
ATC : "ABC123, what was your request"
Pilot : "ABC123, we request a direct XXX when available"
ATC : "I've got to co-ordinate that, call you back... break break, DEF245, confirm requested level."
Pilot : "DEF245, Requesting FL360, DEF245"
ATC : "DEF245, climb FL360"
Pilot : "Climbing FL360, DEF245"
ATC : "Who was the third station ?"
Pilot : "GHI456, we request FL380."
ATC : "GHI456, roger, call you back"
ATC : "ABC123, direct XXX"
Pilot : "Direct XXX, ABC123"
ATC : "GHI456, Brest." (long time between request and answer and unusual message to pass)
Pilot : "GHI456 ?"
ATC : "GHI456, be advised your RFL was 34, in order to keep you in the same sectors to your destination, climb FL360 final, due flow management."
Pilot : "That's understood, climb FL360 final, GHI456, thank you."

20 messages(21 including the "break") instead of 16 (14 if we avoid the explainations), had the pilots told everyone around they wished to talk.

One may think that passing the request straight away saves time.
I don't. All in all, the guy who's supposed to answer will do it faster when he's prepared to.
Time saved is not only the number of messages.
"Request"... "go", that's less than 3 secs and the 2 way communication works for sure. (brain to brain, not just mouth to ear)
Of course, sometimes it also works with no advice. Question of workload, as already written.

Kiltie
6th Sep 2010, 10:09
AFAIK this "request" rubbish is a throwback to HF ops where transmission quality can be poor, not least the radio operator might be caught unprepared by a non-standard transmission. On VHF however, I agree it's bl***y irritating.