PDA

View Full Version : email in Windows 7

Arkroyal
2nd Sep 2010, 08:57
Having been forced to purchase a new machine due to failure of my old friend, I now have Windows 7!

No Outlook Express, so downloaded Windows Live Mail, which doesn't look anything like as good as OE.

Worse is that although I can receive emails on all my POP3 accounts, I can't send anything.

I get this error message:The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject 'testing'
Server Error: 250
Server Response: 250 8BITMIME
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): Yes

The email account is with btyahoo, and when I went into 'properties' discovered that the 'My server requires authentication' box under 'Outgoing Mail Server', in the 'Servers' tab was unchecked (in XP it was checked).

'Aha' I thought, and checked the box, expecting a fix.

Still no joy.

Any ideas anyone?

Mike-Bracknell
2nd Sep 2010, 09:26
Try it without SSL ticked.

Arkroyal
2nd Sep 2010, 09:43
Tried it, no joy either way

Thanks

Mike-Bracknell
2nd Sep 2010, 09:59
Well, since the error you posted says (to paraphrase) 'please don't use SSL against the server', what error do you get back when you have it unticked?

touch&go
2nd Sep 2010, 10:06
Try Thunderbird it works well and had no problems using this mail program, look like OE

Arkroyal
2nd Sep 2010, 11:26
Mike

It gives the same result whether the box is ticked or not.

Touch

Loaded Thunderbird, couldn't even receive, let alone send, that with using the Thunderbird auto set up, and with manually setting POP3 settings.

green granite
2nd Sep 2010, 12:19
I use BTYahoo mail, but I always access it directly from my Yahoo home page and use their own browser, never have any problems at all.

Wodrick
2nd Sep 2010, 12:52
I had a problem recently similar to yours, i.e. reception of mail ok but no transmission. Windows live and BTyahoo.

I changed from port 25 to the alternate (587 methinks) and works fine both win live and Thunderbird which I started to use when I was having trouble and find I prefer.
Don't get the frequent "Windows Live has encountered a problem .........." either.

BOAC
2nd Sep 2010, 13:27
Ark - confirm you are looking in 'Advanced' for the SSL selection and not in 'Servers'?

flexmode
2nd Sep 2010, 14:37
Because Windows Live Mail is now the online version of outlook you need to tick the box verification required at outbound mail. So: Extra, Accounts, Properties, Servers (than the last box). If further input required you can simply thick same log in as in mail requirements.

BOAC
2nd Sep 2010, 14:48
Surely all except MB and I are confused here? We are talking SSL, not authentication. That is what the error code is - SSL. The server does not support SSL, therefore responds 250 8BITMIME Error code 0x800CCC7D. As I understand it, the box Ark is playing with does not have anything to do with the error.

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2010, 15:18
download the bt desktop help program, it normally sorts problems out for you.

make sure the server requires authentification is ticked and set.

BOAC
2nd Sep 2010, 15:19
Beats talking to yourself!

EGTE
2nd Sep 2010, 15:30
BT Broadband desktop help is a very useful tool for sorting out lots of PC problems. It will set up your email client with the correct settings. The current version does not work on 64 bit Windows 7 however. Expect that version in October.

Loose rivets
2nd Sep 2010, 16:22
Well I'm blessed!

I tried Thunderbird a few days ago. It flatly refused to recognize an e-address or password that I've used for years. I put it to one side.

Because of this thread, I tried it again just now. Put in my name and password, and Bingo!

Just what was it waiting for?

First reaction, it looks good. Now to import my files. Any tips?

Krystal n chips
2nd Sep 2010, 16:42
Just give the excellent tech guys a call at BT Tech help.......trust me, the "customer indifference" side is :mad:, but these guys are excellent.they will sort you out with no problem although be aware they may want to take remote control of the PC while they do so...

Mornington Crescent
2nd Sep 2010, 17:53
Ark,

Check your outbox. If you have stuff in there clear it out and try again.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2010, 21:50
When I bought my new Dell in April, I told them I was a 'business user' - so I was provided with 'Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP'. Actually it was nothing of the sort; it was Windows XP SP3 which could be 'upgraded' to Windows 7.

But it came with the abysmal Windows Live Mail - which is a complete and utter piece of ****e. At least I was still able to use the entirely satisfactory Outlook Express with XP - because according to Micro$oft:
Outlook Express isn't available in Windows Vista or Windows 7—you can't download it or run it on either version of Windows.Only problem was that the Office 2007 spellchecker doesn't have an English option for Outlook Express, thanks to Gates' geeks. But at least I was able to buy some 3rd part software to fix that.

However, all the settings which you used to use on your old machine should be the same on the new one, irrespective of the e-mail client.

If you want to see what people think of the useless Windows Live Mail, try Windows Live Mail Hate - 82% People Agree (84 opinions) (http://amplicate.com/hate/windows-live-mail) .....:(

cats_five
3rd Sep 2010, 07:17
"I was forced to use it by my ISP"

There speaks a computer numpty. What email client you use is nothing to do with your ISP, unless you want support from them.

Mornington Crescent
3rd Sep 2010, 09:03
Who said that?

airborne_artist
3rd Sep 2010, 13:05
Are you sending out via the righht server? My BT Broadband line dictates that I send via smtp.mail.yahoo.com, at least that's what I have set, and it works.

BOAC
3rd Sep 2010, 15:11
Ark - you still with us?

EGTE
3rd Sep 2010, 18:17
For a btinternet.com email address both incoming and outgoing servers should read mail.btinternet.com

Chainkicker
3rd Sep 2010, 21:42
EGTE - Whilst yours may be set up that way, my btmail inbound server is mail.btinternet.com and my outbound server is smtp.btinternet.com. It certainly works ok :cool:

cats_five
4th Sep 2010, 03:36
Who said their ISP forced them to use Windows Live Mail?

One of the people in the 'I hate Windows Live Mail' link.

bbrunton
4th Sep 2010, 22:46
I too just purchased a new Dell laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Outlook comes with Microsoft Office Professional 2010. You can download a trial version of Office from the Microsoft web site. I bought Office 2010 with my new laptop so I have Outlook.

I also have Windows XP running as a virtual PC in a window. It has Outlook Express.

You can also download VMware, a virtual machine, and then install Windows XP which has Outlook Express.

By the way. On my new Dell I have Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows XP in a window and Linux in another window. Virtual machines are wonderful.

Bill

Arkroyal
8th Sep 2010, 08:44
Back from a few days away from this glitch.

Wodrick: Tried change of Port, still no send, same error box

BOAC: Yes, still here, and indeed working in the Advanced tag.

spanners: Yes, in both Servers and advanced tags, I set 'This server requires SSL' for outgoing just as works fine on my XP machine. No joy with Win 7 however. No joy with boxes unchecked either btw.

Loose Nuts: I downloaded T'bird and used its auto set up. It set up 'mail.yahoo' as the servers and I couldn't send or receive. Manually changing to 'mail.btinternet.' Didn't work either.

Beags: I got Office 2010 Home and Student with the computer, but neither OE nor OE Express is included. Damn

Had a look at all those frustrated comments in the hate forum. Why would Microsoft take such a step backwards?

I assume (if I ever get this to work) that my emails are no longer stored on my computer at all, but left on the server at the whim of Yahoo or BT to delete as they wish? Hardly satisfacory if you want to keep something important is it?

Now back to Thunderbird, see if I can get it to work.

So much valuable time being wasted on something which should be so easy. It used to be!

Arkroyal
8th Sep 2010, 08:55
Ah! Eureka! A measure of success!

I downloaded Thunderbird again. still didn't work, but noted the Port for outgoing was 465. Went back to dreaded Live Mail, and change outgoing Mail Port to 465 (not 587, Wodrick) and bingo! it works.

Now to get Thunderbird to work too, and Live Mail can be ignored

BOAC
8th Sep 2010, 10:11
Good to see progress!
"my emails are no longer stored on my computer at all," - most progs (OE does, anyway, have an option to 'leave email on server' which can be changed. I would have thought that if you are accessing yahoo mail via an email client rather than by web access the email would always be downloaded to your machine?

Arkroyal
8th Sep 2010, 10:18
Confused now.

In Thunderbird, using default settings, I get nowhere. No send or receive.

But Changing the incoming Port from the Default 995 to 110 (same as Live Mail) I get a message at the bottom of the screen 'connected to mail.btinternet.com' and the 'green worm' running ion the bottom right corner of the screen as if mail is being collected. And that just goes on and on and on, with no mail arriving!

btw, for a real computer numpty, what do these Port numbers mean?

green granite
8th Sep 2010, 13:28
Having discovered that windows 7 has no default mail program, I then found I had to install another piece of mail software even if I wanted to use BT Yahoo web mail.

I use both BT-Yahoo mail and Hot-mail I've never had to install anything to read them either using XP or Windows 7.

airborne_artist
8th Sep 2010, 14:28
A port means an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. Here are the default email ports for: POP3 - port 110 IMAP - port 143 SMTP - port 25 HTTP - port 80 Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465 Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585 IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993 Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995

Arkroyal
9th Sep 2010, 08:24
DC9, welcome to the strange regressive world of Windows 7. Mine came with a link to Windows Media player IIRC. Once loaded, works perfectly.

Really find it hard to understand why 7's so poor compared to XP, or am I just being old!

Thanks Airborne, that explains things a bit better. Still can't see why Thunderbird can't receive on port 110. Looking at the BTYahoo site email help area, they do not list Thunderbird as a supported email client, so that might be the trouble. Thunderbird was so confident that it could automatically set up POP3 from just an email address too. It can't.

I'm getting more used to Live Mail now, but it is soooo clunky compared to Outlook Express, and I can see why it would be of no use to someone with a high rate of mail useage.

Next big snag is to populate my Contacts with my OE address book which I saved on another networked computer running XP!

Thanks for everyone's help

BOAC
9th Sep 2010, 09:25
Next big snag - not so big?

Import contacts in Windows Live Mail (http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/windowsLiveMail/addressBooksAndContacts/importContacts.htm)

Arkroyal
9th Sep 2010, 13:13
Thanks BOAC

I'd becomed conditioned to just about everything in 7 to defy 1st attempts and to require much effort to achieve something that is not only difficult, but should have been unnecessary.

I'll give that a try.

BEagle
9th Sep 2010, 21:31
Had a look at all those frustrated comments in the hate forum. Why would Microsoft take such a step backwards?

It's their stupid, geeky, 'hippy village' ethos where everyone is supposed to want to share everything with everyone else. The culture of Twatter, Farsebook etc....

They don't seem to understand privacy, simplicity and user choice.

Fortunately I'm now back to a high-speed computer with WinXP SP3, IE8, OE and even good old Photo Editor. Even my Hotmail back-up is configured to be accessed using OE rather than through the MS website...:ok:

Screw b****y Windows Live Mail Messenger Photo Gallery - slow, clunky, horrible graphics and lack of functionality. An utter crock!!

spannersatcx
10th Sep 2010, 07:20
did you ever try the BT help software, it does sort problems like this out, or it has for me when things have gone a bit funny?

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2010, 10:18
Ark me old shipmate,

Have you followed the BTYahoo Thunderbird duffers' guide at

Set up your BT Total Broadband features | Your email | Thunderbird (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25885) ?

Mac the Knife
10th Sep 2010, 21:48
Opera - Opera browser | Faster & safer internet | Free download (http://www.opera.com/) - incorporates/integrates an excellent email client into its excellent (cross-platform and free) browser

Not as popular as Firefox, but faster, more stable and better integrated than the FF/T'bird combo

I'm surprised than more people don't use Opera - to my mind the best browser of all.

Mac