PDA

View Full Version : RT Operation

PhilD
6th Jun 2001, 11:49
Does anyone know the rules for operation of the radio on a private flight? Clearly you don't have to hold an RTOL to use the radio even if you are solo, as I used it when I was training (e.g. on my QXC), although technically all of these flights were under supervision of an instructor (whether they were in the plane or not. Now I have an RTOL I'd like to get my wife to use the RT when we are out, but would like to know if this is OK under my supervision, or if I need to be an instructor to do this.

Simon W
6th Jun 2001, 12:17
99 percent sure you're wife is not allowed to do that. Gotta be an instructor.

Simon

bookworm
6th Jun 2001, 17:09
Only allowed if your wife is undergoing training.

From the ANO:

Members of flight crew requirement for licence
21(1) Subject to the provisions of this article, a person shall not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom unless he is the holder of
an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under this Order.
(2) A person may within the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man without being the holder of such a licence: act as a flight radiotelephony operator if (a)
(ii) he does so as a person being trained in an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom to perform duties as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft;
(aa) he is authorised to operate the radiotelephony station by the holder of the licence granted in respect of that station under any enactment;
(bb) messages are transmitted only for the purposes of instruction, or of the safety or navigation of the aircraft;
(cc) messages are transmitted only on a frequency exceeding 60 MHz assigned by the CAA for the purposes of this sub-paragraph;
(dd) the operation of the transmitter requires the use only of external switches; and
(ee) the stability of the frequency radiated is maintained automatically by the transmitter;

bcfc
6th Jun 2001, 19:41
I wasn't even allowed to do my QXC without the RT licence. Could be just a local rule at my FTS but they wouldn't let me do any cross country without my Met, Nav & RT exams in the bag.

Cahlibahn
6th Jun 2001, 20:50
Possibly worth mentioning that there is nothing to stop your wife studying for, and completing, the exams to gain a FRTOL in her own right.

Noggin
8th Jun 2001, 22:39
Article 21 has nothing to do with the requirements for radio operation. It is a requirement for Flight Crew and your wife would not be a crew member.

The operation of radios is covered by the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act, not the ANO.
Just look at the aircraft radio licence, it has a Schedule and para 6 states that the licensee shall not permit any person to operate the station unless that person

a. either holds a flight raditelephony operator's licence or

b) operates under the supervision of the holder of a FRTOL.

passengers can therefore operate the radio under the supervision of the pilot provided the pilot holds a FRTOL.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 10 June 2001).]

Toppers
9th Jun 2001, 00:24
PhilD

Forgive me for asking, but why do you want your wife to work on the radios? I don't know what you fly but I find it one of the most satisfying parts of flying.

I'm sure it's not the case, but if you are concerned (as I once was) about using it efficiently, email me and I can give you the one sure way of quickly getting it right without having to be worried again.

If on the other hand you just can't be a***d to talk to anyone then I apologise for my suggestion and I take my hat off to you!!!!!!

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2001, 00:13
Toppers,

I am genuinely interested in your suggestions for improving my RT - as a student pilot it is the area of flying I am most concerned about, so if you can pass on any useful info. please do.

Thanks

SD

------------------
Hoping and praying should never be confused with planning...