PDA

View Full Version : Complex Variant

Fuji Abound
6th Jun 2001, 00:26
A pilot wants to join a syndicate who has no time on a complex variant (CSP, U/C - lifting, turbo etc.) and also needs a group check out on type. He perhaps needs 4 or 5 hours on type to see a range of configurations which would normally be done with the group's check pilot (not a QFI) and I believe a sign off from a QFI in respect of the complex variant, but presumably he cant fly P1 until he has the sign off. Does he do his first hour with a QFI on type to get his sign off, and then carry on with the group check out - or are there any other suggestions. I know he could do all 4 hours with a QFI but with respect to all those fine QFI's, this only increases costs without necessarily the QFI picking up on all the type specific points as well as an experienced group check pilot.

Noggin
6th Jun 2001, 01:23
He only needs to be checked out on the "special features" by a FI and signed off in the log book once the FI is satisfied. The rest of the group check can be however the group wishes.

eyeinthesky
6th Jun 2001, 11:01
I think you'll find that you don't actually have to do any flying to be signed off for complex variants. All it refers to is 'differences training'. It is in theory OK to sign someone off after just a ground briefing on VP props or retractable U/C. You might think sense dictates that a flight would also be a good idea, but it's not REQUIRED.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"