PDA

View Full Version : Floating along tips required!

arrow2
5th Jun 2001, 19:41
At last I am heading for the sun this weekend for a week in sunny Florida during which I and 6 others have taken the brave step of booking ourselves in to do Jack Brown's Seaplane course.

I believe he uses converted Cubs or Super Cubs so it will be interesting converting to these in itself from my usual mount, let alone mastering the intricacies of water flying. Will I have Tricky's challenge with the rudders? We shall see.

Anyway has anyone out there done this course or flown floats and can pass on some useful tips to make the experience a little less stressful?!

A2

Speedbird48
6th Jun 2001, 01:44
It will not be stressful as Browns have been at it for many years with a great record.
Save your thinking for the day and listen to the guy who has done it many times before, your instructor.
You will have a great time but don't forget to go to the Orlando FAA, FSDO and get a validation of your UK license. Take your log book and medical with you. It will take 20-30min and is free.
Enjoy yourself.

Courtman
6th Jun 2001, 02:12
Seaplane flying is fun - so go out and enjoy it! I flew a C172 floatplane in Seattle, good fun, but the rudder didn't do anything a normal aircraft would have done!! Also flew 30mins in a Beaver, the larger aircraft was much easier to fly and more stable. Never been to JB's, might go one day to get a complete rating, let me know how you go.

Ref visiting the FAA, also take another form of ID with a picture on it. I had to make two trips!!!

Lemoncake
6th Jun 2001, 15:25
A2,

Have a great trip. Look forward to hearing about it on your return. Send my regards to G & J.

arrow2
6th Jun 2001, 15:32
Ta for the replies all! I already have the FAA validation but a couple of the group will need to pay a visit to Orlando FSDO.

Looking forward to trip and will report back afterwards to you all.

Lemoncake - will do. We have booked J to do a 5 hour session on PA28s at Winterhaven so she can help out G in times of need! She might need a litle "encouragement" to see it through me thinks, particularly if it is very turbulent....

A2

arrow2
19th Jun 2001, 00:55
All done and great fun!

Lovely yellow Cub on floats, alligator hunting round a lake at 100', mastered the intricacies of step taxying, plough turns, glassy water landings as well as some sunshine, food and beer into the bargain...

Well recommended. Anyone wants to ask more please e-mail me or post here.

A2