PDA

View Full Version : Cable broadband modem

Senior Paper Monitor
1st Sep 2010, 13:51
I use Virgin media cable for our home based office - excellent, no complaints (currently uses Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614-6VGUKS modem/hub).

Other than the server (hidden behind the TV at the access point in the lounge) all other access, currently three PCs and 2 wireless + 1 wired printers), are on wireless connectivity with no problems to date.

However - expansion of business means using a second room as an office in the near future and this is at the limit of current wireless range.

As some form of upgrade may be necessary anyway, would welcome any suggestions in terms of best kit for improved speed/range etc.

Going wired is not an option.

mixture
1st Sep 2010, 14:56
Going wired is not an option.

Personally that would be my answer, bite the bullet and go CAT5e or CAT6.

But, if you want to persist at the wireless route, try something "N" based... eg. one of these.... NETGEAR WIRELESS-N SERIES CABLE MODEM ROUTERS (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wirelessn_home.php)

Ancient Observer
1st Sep 2010, 17:05
Have a look at Homeplug. (google it).

My homeplug access has been quick and reliable. Very happy with it.

I haven't done it, (beyond my tech ability) but a friend says he has set up a second wifi gizmo at the end of a homeplug connection to increase the coverage of wifi.

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 17:40
Have a look at Homeplug.

Hopefully soon to be made illegal.

See: Power Line Telecommunications (PLT) news page | Radio Society of Great Britain (http://www.rsgb.org/plt/)

le Pingouin
1st Sep 2010, 19:41
I've used an Apple AirPort Express as wireless extender (got it in a job lot). You'd need to run network cable between the router & the AirPort Express, but other than that it's easy to use & has reasonable range.

beardy
1st Sep 2010, 20:35
I am curious, are the RSGB alone in their opposition to PLT?

mixture
1st Sep 2010, 21:25
beardy,

See also this PPRuNe thread.

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/424000-power-line-networking-some-thoughts.html

green granite
1st Sep 2010, 21:43
I am curious, are the RSGB alone in their opposition to PLT?

They tend to be the people who are most affected by them, the HF Maritime and Aircraft services tend not to be near housing estates etc so don't pick up the noise except as a slight overall increase in background noise, they also wipe out the HF international broadcast bands which are supposed to be protected, but the general public doesn't tend to listen to them any more so they get very few complaints, but what is annoying is that they do not comply with the EU EMC regulations but they are still allowed to be sold.

Ancient Observer
2nd Sep 2010, 11:35
All that sounds like one interest group versus another. If there was a real issue that impacted the Mil., (as opposed to the other interest groups) the CAA and MoD would have been all over it.

Homeplug works fine.

green granite
2nd Sep 2010, 12:04
Ancient Observer So you would be quite happy to have your favourite overseas radio station blotted out by someone's homeplug would you?

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Sep 2010, 14:34
Squawking 7500 here !!!!

Anyone with specific equipment suggestions with ergard to best speeds, ranges (wireless) ? :*

mixture
2nd Sep 2010, 16:28
Squawking 7500 here !!!!

I'll take the US approach and come shoot you down.

But, if you want to persist at the wireless route, try something "N" based... eg. one of these.... NETGEAR WIRELESS-N SERIES CABLE MODEM ROUTERS

I gave you a big hint in the right direction many posts ago. From there I'm afraid you'll have to do your own homework and buy from somewhere reputable that will not make a fuss over returns.

WiFI is a black art in the el-cheapo domestic market. What works for someone might not work for someone else and vice versa. Cheap domestic rubbish is very dependent on how the blackbox itself is constructed as well as the construction of your premises. The advertised range figures are nothing but a load of codswollop.

To give yourself the most flexibility, I would suggest you look for something with an external antenna option, not just internal ones. One that supports plugging in a decent range of alternative antennas to boot (i.e. not some dodgy proprietary connector) That should give you extra options to play with.

Should also check what's built into your PCs/Laptops is compatible, otherwise budget for extra cards and dongles.

Sorry, but that's the truth.

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Sep 2010, 18:05
No need to be 'sorry' - I agree with all you say (and am not looking to go the cheap route).

Unfortunately hard wiring is simply not an option in this property, so just looking for any specific equipment experiences anyone has had.

Your initial comment/link also most helpful and already noted.

Will probably be able to re-equip the furthest point with N ready new equipment (my understanding is that all the N boxes are backwards compatable to earlier euipment but obviously would check before buying).

Thanks

Mike-Bracknell
2nd Sep 2010, 19:11
One of the other considerations with wifi is that you have 13 channels to play with (b/g/n, not a), and each channel overlaps 2 others either side of it to a lesser extent. Hence, to get the best range and throughput, audit your airspace for all the broadcasting access points, their strength and the channel they're using. If you can sit 4 channels away from everyone else you're laughing, but if not then configure your access point's channel as far away from the crowd of other access point channels as possible.

e.g. if you had 4 APs you would configure them to channels 1,5,9, and 13. However if your neighbour has an AP on channel 6 (because we suffer from the yanks thinking we don't get channel 13 and hence configuring 1,6,11 as defaults into their kit) then you would want to site your APs on channels not including 4-8.

This diagram explains it even more elegantly: List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels)

Ancient Observer
8th Sep 2010, 14:12
Green Granite -

Yup.
They are just 2 different interest groups.

group 1 . I want my home plug to work
group 2. I want my favourite overseas radio station to work.

I can't see any intellectual basis to differentiate between the groups, they are both just economically driven 20th century interests, so I'll go with my economic interest - which is a home pc network that uses home plugs.
As I said, if it was a real Mil or CAA issue, my economic interests would be set aside.........as they do for, say, windfarms in the wrong places.

airborne_artist
8th Sep 2010, 15:09
Have you tried moving the wireless router ?

If put centrally in your loft you may well find that it covers the whole house, on both floors, unless the first floor is made of reinforced concrete.

Bushfiva
8th Sep 2010, 16:09
I installed a Buffalo wzr-hp-g301-nh at short notice when a befsr41-c went titsup at short notice. Despite not liking Buffalo for historical reasons, I do think this unit performs well: range is way up, the two twiddly antennas have proved useful, the unit runs much cooler, and it has way more spare memory. I put dd-wrt on it, although recent units come with Buffalo-branded dd-wrt anyway. One of the nice features in some markets is auto channel search: it will find the best channel to operate on.

Also, depending on your jurisdiction, the "there are only 3 interference-free channels" may actualy be "there are only 2 interference-free channels", as the highest-numbered channels may only be allowed to operate at reduced power.

Something like inssider might help you locate the best channel for your location, and then you may not need to changer routers anyway.

Another possibility is addign a wireless bridge to the target area. Some wireless routers can do both things at once (hello Buffalo again).

Keef
8th Sep 2010, 17:18
I had a similar problem here, with one wireless access unit unable to reach all the places I need wireless internet.

The original wireless modem router is in my study, where the desktop PC is hard-wired. That covered about half the house.

I bought a (reasonably reputable - TP-Link) wireless-N access point, with the maximum permitted power output, and put it at the other end of the house, connected by Cat5 cable.

I put it on Channel 13 since there's nothing else nearby higher than 11.

I now have good coverage throughout the house, garden, and my shed.

I had no problems whatever with several different wireless devices connecting to the two. As far as I can tell, my iPhone switches between them seamlessly. I don't walk around using WiFi, but when I've checked it may be on either of the two but working as it should.