PDA

View Full Version : C152 Emergency Autoland.

twistedenginestarter
18th Mar 2002, 14:33
I was recently shown an interesting technique for emergencies in a C152. . .. .Say you are going along and you suffer a heart attack. You are going to lose consciousness any second. Or you are about to die but your beloved is in the passenger seat.. .. .Pull the power back to idle and trim fully back. The thing will glide stabley down and thus have the least damaging eventual contact with the ground. . .. .This doesn't necessarily work with other aircraft eg C172.

Polar_stereographic
18th Mar 2002, 14:36
Try it in a Rallye. Slats out, min speed, bit of a headwind, and you'll land with an impresivly low forward speed.. .. .PS

M14P
18th Mar 2002, 14:54
Yes. .. .That's provided that the planet earth is free from obstacles.. .. .Really 'in extremis' technique, I think

Polar_stereographic
18th Mar 2002, 14:58
I know of someone who, taught his other half in the event of incapacitation, to tune up the ILS, set the autopilot up, and the instruction was to chop the throttle over the threshold.. .. .The thinking being that you are better crashing on the runway than other places. Tend to agree, but I'm not sure my otherhalf would be up to it.. .. .Also, you'd need an autopilot capable of flying an ILS, plus other issues.. .. .PS

Dale Harris
19th Mar 2002, 12:59
Twisted, that's basically the technique I was taught for engine failure in the 152. The ind. airspeed was about right for best glide. And it does work pretty much for the 172 as well.

Whirlybird
19th Mar 2002, 18:13
Worth knowing, but wouldn't it be a better idea to book your nearest and dearest on to one of these five hour safety pilot courses, that teach you how to land in just such an emergency?