PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Pratt books

bcfc
25th Jul 2001, 14:12
After doing my training in the venerable C150, I hope to be trying out a Warrior soon (looks like a 'proper' aircraft to me ;) ) and saw on Amazon that Jeremy Pratt has books on these aircraft.

Anyone read them and are they worth getting in my case?

Rusty Cessna
25th Jul 2001, 15:08
If you mean the Pilot' Guide books, I have the C152 one and I find it a good resource to all you need to know about the aircraft, kinda like a mini POH, I would say for 8 quid its worth every penny.

However there is a danger that people will use them instead of the POH/FM, so use it as a reference and go on what the POH/FM says. There is a lot of handy information in it and it makes interesting reading.

Hope it helps,
Rusty

P.S, spooling is probably awfull in this.

Final 3 Greens
29th Jul 2001, 12:19
bcfc

I've had the Warrior pilots guide for some years now - in fact it is sitting in front of me at the moment. The ISBN is 1-874783-05-5

Its a very useful general guide and also has info on the Cadet and the Archer too.

As Rusty Cessna points out, it is not a replacement for the POH which will be specific for the actual aircraft.

Having said that I would thoroughly recommend a few quid invested as the systems are explained quite nicely with good use of photos and this will assist someone new to PA28s, as will the pre flight checklist.

[ 29 July 2001: Message edited by: Final 3 Greens ]

bcfc
29th Jul 2001, 12:35
Cheers, I'l think I'll get it. Can only help.

Looks CAVOK today :D

Final 3 Greens
29th Jul 2001, 20:02
bcfc

Forgot to say, good luck with the Warrior - I transitioned to a Cherokee after 10 hours in a 150 and its no problem at all getting used to the extra weight and the different configuration.

If you can, try an Archer at some stage, the 180hp engine is a gem in the airframe.

Perhaps the only three things you really need to learn going to a PA28 from a 150 are:

1 Fuel management - get into the routine of changing tanks every 20 mins or so "fuel puimp on, change tank, check fuel pressure, fuel pump off, check fuel pressure"

2 Be a little sharper on navigation - you'll be cruising a little faster (Warriors do 95-110kts depending on how you set them up and how well the mags are sorted - so you need to think that little bit faster

3 Threshold speed is important... learn the number (usually about 65kias, but POH will confirm) - don't approach too fast, or you will float halfway down the runway! The Warrior wing has very good low speed characteristic.

Also, it likes full flap unless theres a screaming cross wind, as the Piper flaps are not so effective as the excelent flaps on the 150 - don't get me wrong though, it has got to be the easiest plane to land, you have to work hard not to do a greaser most times!

Enjoy!