PDA

View Full Version : Best headset for £250-£300 ??

Unusual Attitude
25th Jul 2001, 03:04
Can anyone offer any advice on the best headset to buy in the £250-£300 mark ??

I've been using one of those cheapo Harry Mendelssohn HM-40 sets for the last 3 years which I bought whilst training for my PPL and I must admit its lasted well.

I will however shortly be starting my CPL and IR courses and since my birthday is also near I though I'd treat myself to a new better quality headset.

At the moment I'm thinking of a David Clark set given their reputation but I just wondered if anyone had any better suggestions ?

Regards

UA

Keef
25th Jul 2001, 03:24
I'm sure most folks will have their "favourite". I bought a DC H10-13.4, which I fitted with the gel ear seals (which add a few grams to the weight) and have been delighted with it for several years.

There is an "aftermarket" option of add-on ANR which I have heard and is excellent for propeller-type flying. Hardly necessary if you're in the big stuff, I would assume.

jabberwok
25th Jul 2001, 05:15
Look at the David Clark range. Pricey but superb to use once you get used to the weight. For ultimate comfort (and they make a LOT of difference) get the gel ear pads and the soft cushion head pad - the plastic one hurts after an hour or so.

If you can stretch to an ANR version then go for it - the difference is amazing.

Final 3 Greens
25th Jul 2001, 12:23
In our flying goup we have standardised on DC H10-30.

I find these very comfortable, although some find them heavy.

I have a friend who runs another group who swear by Peltors, I must say that when I've worn them they are very light and the noise attenuation is pretty good too.

bcfc
25th Jul 2001, 12:42
UA

I use a DC H20-10 and I'm very happy with them. The gel earseals are very comfy and the gel headband makes up for the weight. I had a 2 hr flight yesterday and I didn't get that two-sink-plungers-on-the-ears feeling (and it was bl**dy hot!).

One thing I'd suggest you consider is mic compatibility. The M-7 electret mic is not always compatible with M-4 mics (available on others like the H10-40) although I believe the com box can have an influence here.

Anyway, happy birthday and good luck with the CPL.

tacpot
25th Jul 2001, 19:57
I'm very pleased with the Pilot DNC 17-76 Headset I bought recently. It's light, very comfortable and the ANR works a treat. Plus it's self contained and comes with a protective case. Cost £288 inc VAT. It seems robust but only a few years use will confirm this. However I believe that this model is being superceeded. Get 'em while you can.

FNG
25th Jul 2001, 21:29
Very interested in after market ANR for DCs, please tell more anyone who knows. What sort of kit is involved? Any compatibility probs with particular types of radio/intercom, all that sort of thing. I have DCs but have recently concluded that, as my hearing is getting worse and my current a/c types seem to have noisier than average cockpits, I need to invest in ANR. If I could do that without having to bin my current headsets, which are only 2 yrs old, that would be a bonus.

BEagle
26th Jul 2001, 00:16
There is but one choice - DC 13.4!!

BayAreaLondoner
26th Jul 2001, 03:41
I'd suggest taking a look at news://rec.aviation.piloting and news://rec.aviation.student (both can be found by going to www.deja.com) (http://www.deja.com)) since this topic regularly does the rounds there.

Last year, after much comparison, I got a Pilot Avionics PA 17-79. They are an extremely light ANR headset with a built-in rechargeable battery. The single flaw that I have found is that they do not automatically power-down after a certain amount of time. However, the passive noise reduction (seals) is good enough to fly with.

A month or so ago, I bought their non-ANR version that looks exactly the same (can't remember the model now) for pax to use. So far no complaints and the design does not inflict "head in a vice" symptoms.

Customer service has been great so far.

Lightspeeds are supposed to be good, but not for cramped cockpits. Sennheisers are good too and in the US can be had for $499 I believe. Check out www.avshop.com (http://www.avshop.com) for instance.

Be warned - if you purchase from a US supplier for delivery to the UK (for example), you will get stung for VAT upon their arrival. Also, check into international warranties.

Finally, the best thing to do is to TRY on various pairs before you buy them. If possible take them for a test flight.

Good luck!

David.

Unusual Attitude
27th Jul 2001, 00:06
Thanks for the replies chaps, very interesting stuff.

I just spent 2 hours flying today in my trusty HM headset and felt like my head had been in a vice afterwards so comfort is a definite factor here.

From what I can gather then the DC's are the best bet, I reckon I'll just plump for the most expensive passive set I can afford in the DC range, probably the 20-10.

Test flights however, are not an option since I live in the baron wastes of Aberdeen where there is a distinct lack of aviation supplies. Anything I purchase will therefore have to be by mail order.

Never mind, at least the sun was shining today, briefly !

Regards

UA

Keef
27th Jul 2001, 01:41
After-market ANR - I know a chap who fits them as a sideline. Not had mine done, but those I know who have speak highly.

He replaces the pressure units in the earpieces with ANR modules. The microphone stays unchanged.

He has an "auto-off when the mic is unplugged" option, which also sorts out mic incompatibility (why is it that some DC headsets won't work with other versions of DC?)

If you want his details, send me an off-list message and I'll pass them to you.

BayAreaLondoner
27th Jul 2001, 08:53
UA,

Since you're going to have to go the mail order route, make sure that you pick a supplier that will honour returns. No idea how good UK suppliers about that, although given the cost and limited sales, I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem.

If you're going the expensive passive route, maybe you could consider low cost ANRs too? It depends on what you fly I suppose and how much you value your hearing ;) I'd never go back to passives now.

Perhaps a mail order shop will let you buy two headsets and return the one you don't want?

Regards,

David.

PS - I have a mate in Reading who might have a hardly used pair of DC 13.4s to sell. Email me if interested: [email protected]

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: BayAreaLondoner ]

Unusual Attitude
27th Jul 2001, 16:30
Thanks BAL, most of the flying I'm doing at the moment is in a C172 I have a share in. I will however be flying mainly Warriors and Senecas whilst doing my CPL/IR training.

I had considered trying an ANR heradset, the Pilot 17-76 and 17-79 both look very good but I've heard they can cause some spatial disorientation when flying on instruments due to the white noise they produce?

Has anyone experienced any problems with this ?, it wouldn't exactly be ideal during IR training !

Regards

UA

FNG
27th Jul 2001, 19:22
keef, would be v grateful for ANR details but your email address not shown.

could you kindly send me a message FNG@pprunemail (not the correct suffix)

Thanks

skua
27th Jul 2001, 19:59
I've had 17-79 ANR's for the last 18 mos, and not noticed any spatial disorientation in IMC, but then my IF has always been iffy!

BayAreaLondoner
28th Jul 2001, 01:14
UA,

Not experienced any white noise with my 17-79s either. Friend of mine has the 17-76s and I don't think he has experienced that either.
Not even heard any reports of that on the newsgroups (I did similar research to you before I bought just over a year ago).
Perhaps that was a dodgy set?

Regards,

David.

Cusco
28th Jul 2001, 01:44
No argument: DC 13.4s with gel earseals and cotton covers to stop your ears sticking in this heat.

Or if you feel really rich add the ANR, but my DC 13.4s are perfectly adequate in my caviar can; i'm used to hearing minor engine noise alterations: don't really want to lose this ability with noise cancelling.

Cusco

BayAreaLondoner
28th Jul 2001, 02:54
Cusco,

I would submit that ANR actually enhances one's ability to hear noises. I certainly hear more sounds that I think are important with the ANR turned on than off. It simply attenuates the low frequency roar of the engine.

If interested, take a look at the ANR article on the Lightspeed website: http://www.anrheadsets.com/anr-tutorial.html

Regards,

David.

Blindside
28th Jul 2001, 23:48
I have a pair of Lightspeed 20XLs with ANR. I've been very impressed.

regards

Tricky Woo
29th Jul 2001, 00:24
I'd recommend the DC 13.4s, Matey, 'cos they're light as a feather, and as comfortable as a warm bosom.

Due to some ear surgery, either side, when I was a mere pip-squeak, I find that my ears are especially susceptible to heavy, uncomfortable headsets. Especially anything that an instructor is likely to carry out from the club house. Still shudder whenever I see those headsets with ragged bits of cloth and a locknut which clamps 'em into one generic head size. Yuk.

Never tried any with ANR, but I believe the difference is amazing. However, I'm a little concerned that they can lessen the subtleties of the engine note, which is not what I've in mind when sitting behind a single donkey on a humid day. I suspect that ANR comes into its own with regards to radio-work: could be a boon during IFR training?

Whatever, my own priorities are aviate and navigate, with communicate a distant third.

TW

Unusual Attitude
29th Jul 2001, 01:16
Thanks for all your advice chaps, I reckon I've spent long enough making my mind up though so I've decided to go for an ANR set and give the Pilot 17-79's a try.

I managed to find a pair for £311 inc. vat which is slightly beyond my original budget but what the hell !
I've chosen these because of the excellent advertised features, 5 year warranty and lightweight at only 40g heavier than the DC 13.4's

I'll be buying them on the condition however that if the ANR causes me a problem they'll be going straight back and being exchanged for a pair of DC H10-13.4's or H20-10's

I reckon they should be here by middle of the week so I'll give them a fly and report my views on them.

Thanks again for all your input chap's, much appreciated.

Regards

UA

Shanwick Shanwick
1st Aug 2001, 02:14
I've a pair of brand new, boxed, David Clark H10-80's for sale of you're interested?

Can deliver.

andyt
1st Aug 2001, 22:09
There is only one headset to be seen in ,
David Clark , they may not be the snazziest looking , but there the best . Nuff said.

p.s ever seen a hollywood movie of a pilot NOT wearing a DC headset , No neither have I.