PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Canada or USA?

mifster
31st Aug 2010, 06:57
Hello all,

Wanting to pass my PPL soon and I have the choice as I live close to the border (live in Canada).

Did some research and in Canada, the flying school are charging an extra $30 for fuel surchage each time... :(

Now, they don't do it over the border (Buffalo NY).

When you add everything and the TAXES.... Learning in Canada is like nearly double!!

Do you have any advises?

Best regards

Pilot DAR
31st Aug 2010, 10:47
mifster,

Enquire at Lake Country Airways in Orillia, Ontario. I am taking additional instruction there. I think you will find their prices entirely reasonable, and the quality of instruction is excellent. You can also fly both wheels and floats there.

Lake Country Airways: floatplane training, endorsements, float charters and rentals (http://www.lakecountryairways.ca/)

Good luck

RatherBeFlying
31st Aug 2010, 13:08
How close are you to the border? The bridge lineups can be daunting, but perhaps you have a Nexus pass and can use the Whirlpool bridge.

Before you can begin flight training in the US, there are some serious hoops DHS will require you to jump through unless you are already a US citizen.

Your chosen US flight school also has to be involved in the paperwork; some may not be able to handle international students.

mifster
1st Sep 2010, 04:13
Orillia is not an option (unless I had a plane... wait... err... :p)

Yes, very close to borders (NOTL). Applied for Nexus couple of days ago... See how that goes...

I have done my medical check-up last week and working on my FAA paperworks... Wonder how long is that going to take... I wish I could start my training now! Gorgeous weather we're having this week :)

CanAmdelta1
1st Sep 2010, 13:39
RatherBeflying is correct as far as the DHS hoops. Times have changed greatly after 9/11.
Also where you reside is generally where you fly and there are significant differences in FAA training and TC training. Also differences in terminology, pattern/circuit entry, spins etc.
I personally elected to do training in Canada rather than the States simply because most of my flying currently is in Ontario.

RatherBeFlying
1st Sep 2010, 14:14
Until your Nexus pass arrives, US Customs will be asking you the purpose of your visit and logging it in their computer system. Your frequency and flying purpose will eventually trigger alarm bells -- by which time you had better have your DHS pilot training permission sorted with the proper forms in your possession or you may no longer be allowed into the US:uhoh:

mifster
1st Sep 2010, 16:55
Yes, working on the TSA paperworks (http://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov) right now. Trying to apply for the Alien Flight Student Program.

The flying school I went to visit few weeks ago (in NF IAG), the FI told me that he has and had Canadian students.

Yes, I would love to earn and do my PPL where I live (15mins from the airport) but time is rough...