PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR versus JAA IR

andyt
4th Jun 2001, 01:34
As most of us know, the CAA/JAA will convert most US ratings to the equivalent European ones, one of the exceptions being an instrument rating. Do they see it as inferior to a CAA/JAA one ? Would love to know what other ppruners think .

flybabyfly

floppyjock
4th Jun 2001, 02:26
Dont know who you've been talking to but I think you,ll find they convert nothing without sitting lots of exams and handing over lots of dosh to them for the privilege.

As for the FAA IR how can it be inferior as the CAA allows US airlines to fly in and out of this country every day. Also you can fly an 'N' reg aircraft based in this country under IFR if you hold the rating.

What it boils down to at the end of the day is money. If you have an FAA IR they get none of it.

Julian
4th Jun 2001, 16:30
Quite agree with 'Floppyjock', at the end of the the CAA want your beer tokens and if you are spending them in the US then they are not happy!!! A friend and myself are ditching the JAA system to go FAA as its too expensive otherwise - the idea being to join an N Reg group back in the UK.

As for is it inferior? Talking to instructors over in CA, the IR rating is the hardest rating to accomplish over there - so I dont think its exactly a piece of cake!

If tha CAA are so desperate to get their hands on our money then they might want to start by making it a bit less expensive and also cut some of the red tape on keeping current. A few more of us would be encourged to stay in the good old UK then.

------------------
Live fast..dies young...leave a good looking corpse!