PDA

View Full Version : Any info on incident re 767 into ADL

whatever6719
30th Aug 2010, 23:50
ABC radio Melbourne all abuzz over an incident whereby one of their station contributors was on board a QF 767 DRW/ADL flight yesterday 30Aug. Apparently they crew prepared the cabin for an emergency landing and initiated brace commands prior to touchdown. This was due to uncertainty over whether the nose landing gear had fully deployed. Of course, nothing eventuated and the aircraft arrived safely at the terminal.
Lots of talkback callers and texts praising crew for professionalism even one saying how important crew/pax ratios are to safety.

Lets just see how big of a deal the wider media make of this!!

Critical Reynolds No
31st Aug 2010, 00:03
The John Butler Trio (who?) were on board and apparently they (the aircraft not the band) lost a "Landing Wheel".

Pedota
31st Aug 2010, 01:31
Here's what the ABC is saying . . .

John Butler, Bushrangers in crash-landing scare

The Victorian cricket team and Australian band John Butler Trio were among passengers caught in a crash-landing scare on a flight at Adelaide airport.
Passengers on board Qantas flight QF757 from Darwin were told just before landing that the front landing gear was not down.

The captain told passengers to get ready for a "crash landing", but the plane landed without incident.

Qantas says the pilot received "conflicting cockpit indications" about whether the landing gear was working and that passengers were told to take the brace position as a precaution.

Professor Damien Kingsbury of Deakin University was on the plane and says it was a terrifying experience.

"We had the John Butler band on board, we had the Victorian cricket team on board so it could have been a very messy outcome," he told 774 ABC Radio.

"We were in full brace position and we didn't know until we hit the ground whether we were going to crash or not."

He said the pilot was very matter-of-fact and the cabin crew were professional, but nervous.

"We didn't know until we hit the ground whether we were going to crash or not," he said.

"It's a bit like being before a firing squad and not knowing if they're firing blanks."

He said there was about seven or eight minutes between the announcement and the landing.

"I met a number of the people afterwards and not surprisingly, they were pretty shaken up because we really thought we were going down without a front wheel and it would have been a fairly serious outcome," he said.
"There were fire trucks everywhere, flashing lights, the whole catastrophe."

John Butler, Bushrangers in crash-landing scare - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/31/2998172.htm?section=justin)

Jabawocky
31st Aug 2010, 01:36
"We had the John Butler band on board, we had the Victorian cricket team on board so it could have been a very messy outcome,"

If I were you I would avoid flying with these famous types.....if you have an incident you do not need them making int any more messy than it otherwise might be! :ugh:

I know people say silly things at times, but surely the morons in the media could read that and say.....Heck that just don't make sense! and then not print it.

J:rolleyes:

whatever6719
31st Aug 2010, 02:02
Yeah that was a pretty stupid thing to say.
So what he's effectively saying is that if the pax were just ordinary punters, not celebs, then it would not be "messy".
Gotta hand it to the media :ugh:

apache
31st Aug 2010, 02:17
We were in full brace position
as opposed to half brace position?

"It's a bit like being before a firing squad and not knowing if they're firing blanks."
from personal previous experience???

and this guy is a professor???????

astroboy55
31st Aug 2010, 02:20
well done to the crew involved, both Flight and cabin....

I bet they wouldn't have minded a beer on the bus after that TOD...:oh:

Tiger35
31st Aug 2010, 02:40
Professor Damien Kingsbury must be a Professor of Drama.

He probably teaches journo's how to write rivetting articles.:8

rmcdonal
31st Aug 2010, 02:59
I would have thought that the failure of the nose wheel on the 767 while looking very spectacular would not have been the end of existence for those on board.
Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider)

EW73
31st Aug 2010, 03:01
Anyway, if the main gear is down, the nose gear is just for convenience....

Arnold E
31st Aug 2010, 03:40
Anyway, if the main gear is down, the nose gear is just for convenience....
Your not a jurno making silly statements by chance:ugh:

Hydromet
31st Aug 2010, 03:57
Many years ago I was SLF in a 727 at Adelaide where they were unsure if the nose gear had properly deployed. Fortunately, I was seated next to the lady in charge of training, as they were then, TAA 'hosties'. As soon as the announcement that we had problems was made, she immediately took the appropriate action - ordered two scotches, one for me and one for herself.

As I recall, the cabin announcements were pretty comprehensive, and all done with a minimum of fuss. The landing, as you might expect, was very gentle and uneventful. The problem was a bent hydraulic strut.

mrdeux
31st Aug 2010, 04:52
Strikes me as a standard non event, blown up by the media.

Dangnammit
31st Aug 2010, 07:16
But the cricketers were on board....
Aren' they more important than the rest? :hmm:

Well done crew :D

flying-spike
31st Aug 2010, 07:34
Pity it wasn't the Pakistan team, they would have been able to fix it before it landed!

my oleo is extended
31st Aug 2010, 07:58
And Darrell Hair was the Captain !!!!!

Nautilus Blue
31st Aug 2010, 08:33
and this guy is a professor???????

Apparently, "Professor Damien Kingsbury is with the School of International and Political Studies. He teaches Approaches to Political Development, Conflict Resolution and Development, ..." :rolleyes: To be fair, even though it wasn't really a 'near death' experience, I think if someone has shoved a microphone in front of me after something like that I'd have talked bollocks too.

but surely the morons in the media could read that and say.....Heck that just don't make sense! and then not print it.

Jabba, are they morons or do they just know their audience :hmm:. I'm guessing the band and cricketers have exclusive media deals, and they couldn't find a 'young mother of three' or "sick child traveling to Adelaide for a transplant' to interview so had to settle for a professor.

ozangel
31st Aug 2010, 08:40
I have nothing constructive to offer other than saying:

Flying Spike - that was surely the call of the day :ok::ok::E:E

I almost spat out my drink.

an-124
31st Aug 2010, 08:56
I had it on good authority (Pakistani bookmaker) that it was only going to be a scare and no major incident would occur.