PDA

View Full Version : JAR-PPL Exams

Russell Middleton
3rd Jun 2001, 23:16
I have just started my PPL training and would like to know if anybody has used the computer software from Softrain.

This CD is designed to help you pass your PPL Exams!

Has anybody used it? and would they recommend it?

Thanks

Russ

PFO
4th Jun 2001, 01:47
Russell,

I can highly recommend the "PPL Confuser" by a guy with a Mr (or Mrs. Sornyung) - make sure it is the JAA edition. It is normally available from any of those catalogues that keep falling out of Pilot, Flyer etc.

It really is the d??? b?ll???s!

However, you really need to read all the Trevor Thom books - after all it is about learning to fly and not just about learning to pass exams!

PFO

Speedbird252
4th Jun 2001, 02:09
Yep, good advice PFO. The PPL Confuser is the book to have, buy it, but dont worry about it for a while. Get the Trevor Thom or Jeremy Pratt books as well as you will need them sooner rather than later. Once you have started your PPL hammer your Air Law books as you cant fly solo till youve passed the exam. Your ppl Confuser will help loads, as it will later with all your other exams.

Good luck and kind regards.

Russell Middleton
4th Jun 2001, 10:52
Thanks for the information.

I already have the Trevor Thom books, and yes I have read them!!!

It looks like the PPL Confuser is the book for me.

Thanks again

Russ

SteveR
4th Jun 2001, 16:55
I recently had an enforced bout of train journeys for my regular commute. I bought and read all the flying mags, then started reading the PPL confuser again. It's always a good thing to dip into.

I passed all my exams with reasonable marks, but now (142 hrs TT) I find that there's a lot of stuff I've forgotten and the confuser is a great book to open at random pages and do a bit of revision.

(Mind you, meteorology (IMHO) is always little more than inspired, slightly informed, guesswork).

SteveR

------------------
PPL(A) EGTO
View my logbook, back up your own:
http://www.e-logbooks.co.uk

Russell Middleton
4th Jun 2001, 18:31
Thanks Steve,

I have now ordered the PPL Confuser and it should arrive in a day or two.

I cannot book my next flying lesson until July because my flying school is fully booked but this will give me time to study for my Air Law exam and have my medical.

I should then be ready for my solo when I have enough hours.

Thanks

Russ

Julian
5th Jun 2001, 11:28
Russell,

If you haven't already paid for your exams then I used a guy called Ron Heyter down at Bournmouth airport. He does a 3 day course which comprises of lectures and all exams (with the exception of the RT). He has an excellent pass rate and there is the advantage of getting them all out of the way and getting on with the flying - I think he was about £300 when I used him about 18months ago.

Julian.

------------------
Live fast..dies young...leave a good looking corpse!

Mariner9
5th Jun 2001, 18:00
None of the exams are difficult, you just need the commitment to learn the syllabus. A full set of Thom or Pratt books, together with the confuser will get you through.
It is possible to pass the exams with the confuser alone, but your knowledge would be limited, & I wouldn't recommend it. Dont forget the examiner may also throw a couple of questions at you during your skills test, so dont just cram for the written exams then erase all from memory!

Todge
5th Jun 2001, 20:30
Russell,

It must be a very busy School you learn with to have to wait so long for an opening.
If this is a regular thing it might be worth thinking of a change.
I am the same stage with my medical next week and air law waiting to be tackled and 6 1/2 hours logged. Wouldn't fancy a months wait for a lesson though. Not so early in training.
But you'll probably do more revision than me and get better marks so i'll shut up now.
Good luck

[This message has been edited by Todge (edited 05 June 2001).]

mik
6th Jun 2001, 03:31
I found Air Law to be the hardest of the PPL exams as it's mostly a memory test, but here's a little trick to make it a bit easier :

When reading the whichever book you are using, stop and think and visualise a situation when the bit you are reading would be needed. For example, which side do you overtake on in the air? Answer : on the right. So imagine, really imagine yourself in your C150/PA28/whatever, coming up on a slow flying Cub. Really try and imagine yourself coming up behind them and moving right to overtake. Look out of your left window and wave. In the Cub you can see John Farley (or someone else very recognisable) who waves back. Now you'll always remember which side you overtake a slower-moving aircraft on.

Yes, it takes a bit of mental effort to do this sort of thing, but it makes learning air law a bit more fun and you'll remember more of it.

I first heard about this "silly visualising" technique at a live performance given by Dominic O'Brien, current world memory champion.

Confused http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif by QNH and QFE? Well, they don't actually stand for anything, so invent something. In my case, QNH = Naval Height (i.e. asl), QFE = freekin' eerfield (best said with a Scouse accent).

Even air law can be fun! :)

Mik

CaptainCrunch
6th Jun 2001, 11:21
I bought the set of six KING PPL Ground School videos from Transair last week and I'm very impressed indeed with what I've seen so far. They aren't particularly cheap (c. 130 GBP) but you do get 12 hours of tape and an excellent accompanying book. I read the T. Thom books through and they're not too bad but the video really makes it all come to life (You really do need the books first and the videos second, of course). The presenter is a "Can Do" American of a certain type and the "humour" not too clever but if you don't mind the boundless enthusiasm of our colonial cousins then I would recommend these to you. One thing - these are FAA course videos so there will be some differences. Also, your club may already have the videos (as a fellow PPRuNe advised me last week before Mrs. Crunch had kindly ordered the set!). I'm alone here in Germany so they're perfect for me, though.

Yours aye,

Cap'n Crunch