PDA

View Full Version : Duxford AOPA Bonus Day Saturday 18th September 2010

alphaalpha
30th Aug 2010, 12:23
Duxford AOPA Bonus Day, Saturday 18th September 2010

There are at least four good reasons to fly-in to Duxford on 18th September:

• To listen to and question the rulemakers: Eric Sivel from EASA (Deputy Head of Rulemaking) and Ben Alcott from the CAA (head of Group safety Services); there will be two presentations, questions after each presentation and BBC style 'Question Time' session where a panel will discuss and try to answer your questions.
• To find out about AOPA, what it is doing for you, meet Martin Robinson and the AOPA team and make your views on AOPA known (oh yes, you can also join) -- members and interested non-members are welcome with their guests
• To have a fun day out at a great venue with like-minded pilots, enter the Concours, win prizes, see some of the modern aircraft on offer from AOPA corporate members
• To save money with Bonus Day discounts on landing and museum admission fees

18th September is the last Duxford Bonus Day of 2010 and, as you can see from the above bullets, it will be really special.

Duxford is home the Imperial War Museum and must be the premier destination for GA pilots in Europe. Most weekends through the flying season, although there are no guarantees, you are quite likely to see warbirds flying – Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, B17, Catalina and other rare types are based at Duxford.

The Bonus days offer great discounted prices: qualifying types of aircraft (or pilots) will enjoy half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. Single or twin can land for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free.

There’s lots to see: the £25+ million ‘AirSpace’ project, the American Air Museum and four hangars packed with vintage aircraft, many in flying order – really a ‘must-see.’

Unlike most Duxford Bonus Days, you can drive in for the day, as well as fly-in. There's a two-part registration process: first with AOPA and then PPR/briefing at Duxford. Fly-in arrivals are managed on a broad-slot system and it's first-come, first served, so get in contact with AOPA and Duxford as soon as you can.

Register your interest on the AOPA web site:
Duxford AOPA Bonus Day - Saturday September 18th 2010 (http://www.joinaopa.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&Itemid=174).

Call Duxford for PPR/briefing (drivers and well as pilots): 01223 833376. The airfield team will be delighted to hear from you. Information for visitors can be found at:
http://www.duxford.iwm.org.uk and go to the flying page.

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous.

Alan.

Mike Cross
30th Aug 2010, 20:24
Sadly I won't be able to make it Alan, an ill-timed visit to foreign parts. Knowing what's planned I shall be the poorer for missing it. Have a great day.

Chris Royle
3rd Sep 2010, 19:35
Bookings are coming in steadily, but we perhaps did not make it clear that the day is also open to non AOPA members. Indeed, we'd love to see non AOPA folk to hear from you what you would want from AOPA. The only event in which AOPA members have priority is attendance at the morning seminars. If there are spaces left, we will allocate these on a first come first served basis to both AOPA and non AOPA members.
We have a wonderful opportunity of questioning senior EASA and CAA executives at first hand. Do come along and have your say and join in the Q and A debate!
Looking forward to seeing you there,
Chris Royle

Edited to coorrect a typo

alphaalpha
6th Sep 2010, 19:41
Adding a Bonus to a Bonus Day, if any AOPA Bonus Day visitors would like to sample the Dragon Rapide, Classic Wings (who operate from Duxford) are offering AOPA visitors a discount on the short pleasure flights. Classic Wings are offering this in the spirit of the Bonus day, rather than the IWM, so book at the CW hut near the tower, on the day, using a voucher in the welcome pack. There's also the Concours d'Elegance and the prizes, so something for everybody.

If you haven't booked in with AOPA (link above) and reserved a landing slot with the tower (01223 833376), do so soon!

Alan.

Chris Royle
16th Sep 2010, 20:56
Bookings continue at an increasing rate for the AOPA Bonus Day at Duxford on Saturday 18th September.
We have seminar presentations by Eric Sivel (EASA Deputy Head of Rulemaking) on EASA's relationship with GA and from Ben Alcott (Head of Group Safety Services, CAA) on GA's input into the CAA's forthcoming Strategic Review.
This is an ideal opportunity to hear from senior aviation personnel and to put your questions to them.
AOPA corporate members
* Airways Aero Associates
* Diamond Aircraft
* Lees Avionics (glass cockpit PA28)
* Flyer
* Cabair and HeliAir (to be confirmed)
* Airbox
* GA Buyer Europe
* RocketRoute
will be bringing their wares. A concours d'elegance competition for aircraft and contests for the oldest / youngest / and furthest flown will provide entertainment. Classic Wings are offering discount flights in their DH Rapide to AOPA members and their guests, and, of course, there is one of the finest museums in the World to see and marvel at.
And the weather looks as if it's going to be nice too!
See you at Duxford!
If you are flying in, please remember to call O1223 833376 for fly-in PPR
:)

jez d
17th Sep 2010, 10:07
Chris,

Can you tell me what time the seminars are due to start.

Thanks, jez

wsmempson
17th Sep 2010, 10:12
I'd love to come to this, Chris, if it weren't for the clash with the Goodwood revival meeting....

As you know, there are one or two questions I'd love to ask of EASA - the future of the IMC, and Part M being just two!

alphaalpha
17th Sep 2010, 10:17
Jez:

Seminars start at 11.30 prompt, with coffee at 11. Book with AOPA, see link above, which has details of the day. If flying in, PPR with Duxford 01223 833376. Slots available.

Alan.

jez d
17th Sep 2010, 10:19
Many thanks Alan. Do I need to book if coming by car?

alphaalpha
17th Sep 2010, 10:54
Jez -- yes, please but only at AOPA. Alan.

jez d
17th Sep 2010, 11:50
WILCO

Thanks Alan

frangatang
18th Sep 2010, 05:17
You can ask as many questions as you like, of the CAA and EASA, the outcome will still be the same, stuff GA and eventually eliminate it in time. EASA wally is a typical non elected
eurocrat and of course CAA = campaign against aviation. Fantastic day out though!

Chris Royle
20th Sep 2010, 14:34
Many thanks to all who attended this event. We hope that you had a great day out. Judging by the number of smiling faces, it seems that most people enjoyed themselves :)
We already have some views on where we could do better next time, but we need the opinions of members and non-members who attended.
Each of your welcome packs contained a Feed Back form to make your views known. If you completed one and handed it to an AOPA representative on the day, many thanks. You can still give feedback, either by completing the paper form and sending or faxing it to the AOPA (UK) office or do it online at Duxford AOPA Bonus Day 2010 Feedback (http://www.joinaopa.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_form&form_id=22)
Please be as candid as you wish. Your comments will help us make the next event even better!
Thanks everyone
Chris
:ok:

Mike Cross
27th Sep 2010, 21:19
A bit of follow-up to the day can be found here (http://www.joinaopa.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=238:aopa-duxford-bonus-day-event&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=247), together with a downloadable copy of Eric's presentation.