PDA

View Full Version : thinking of training

Paully232000
29th Aug 2010, 21:10
Hi,
I am new to this forum, and wondered if anyone has any reccomendations of flying schoools in the north of england, preferably manchester or liverpool as i live close to both airports.
I have seen websites for ravenair, and liverpool flying school and wondered what people though.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

swp53
30th Aug 2010, 07:26
Hi,
Your best bet would be to visit both schools and have a look around and a chat with them and idealy a chat with a couple of students for feedback.
Then make your own mind up on which you prefer of the schools available.
You could get yourself a pilots log book around a tenner and try a trial lesson at both to see what you think of the aircaraft they use and what the instuctors are like, the hours logged will count towards your total hours required in your training.
The golden rule is NEVER pay up front although there may be a discount always pay as you go.
Good luck,:ok:
Steve

Whopity
30th Aug 2010, 10:47
Can't disagree with any of the advice above. Its also worth looking at costs as these can vary considerably. At some schools the flying costs will include landing fees whilst at others they may have to pay the aerodrome for every landing and pass it on to the customer as an additional cost. Exam costs vary as well. Sometimes the cost of drivng to a more distant airfield is far cheaper than paying the fees at your local airfield.

Paully232000
30th Aug 2010, 11:48
thanks for the replies.
The one i like the most the prices are:
PA38-112 piper tomahawk dual control at 123.96/hour, or £105 solo/hour, or 6500 all in for the JAR, PPL

The Old Fat One
30th Aug 2010, 14:35
...or 6500 all in for the JAR, PPL

Standby to get loads of these.......

DON'T PAY ANYTHING UP FRONT!

And more quietly...£124 an hour dual instruction for pay-as-you-go sounds like a good rate in the UK ASSUMING there is no "upselling" going on. In other words does that rate include all the essentials (landing fees at home airfield, VAT, headset, and most important, sufficient time for a proper brief and debrief. If it does not, keep shopping and/or haggling.