PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a PPL?

smileymiley
24th Jul 2001, 18:54
I would like to be able to use my PPL to fly in as many countries around the world. So is there any particular country whose PPL is internationally recognised - or more recognised than others?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Smileymiley.

FNG
24th Jul 2001, 21:45
Caution: deliberate oversimplification though believed to be broadly correct.

You could do worse than start by obtaining a PPL from an ICAO state. The ICAO website will tell you which states are in (there are lots of them). Other member states will recognise a licence issued by an ICAO state, subject to whatever local validation requirements they may impose. Legend has it that these vary from buying the local QFI a beer to shooting instrument approaches backwards whilst reciting passages from Ovid. Different countries do it in different ways. For example, in the US, your CAA PPL entitles you to the issue of an FAA PPL. In the UK, possession of an FAA PPL entitles you to fly G-registered aircraft within the UK without formality.

You can usually exercise the privileges of a licence issued by State A in an aircraft registered in that State, wherever in the world the aircraft is, but subject always to local flying rules. If you have in mind renting aircraft in various different countries, you may be able to do this by (1) equipping yourself with an ICAO licence issued by state A (2) having it validated in State B (where you wish to fly) and (3) satisfying the person renting out the aircraft that you are fit to fly it by checking out with a local instructor.

If you get a JAA licence you should be able to exercise its privileges on aircraft appropriate to the licence registered in any JAA state, but I am a bit blurry on this as my licence is CAA and the supposedly integrated system may not be working yet.

In the real world, having a licence from an ICAO state recognised as having generally OK aviation standards won't hurt (examples include US, Canada, OZ, NZ, UK, France etc etc). It may well be that the instructors in Ruritania are the best in the world, but the Ruritanian licence may cut less ice than you might wish when you turn up at Frank's Friendly Cessna Shack in Florida looking to rent one of his beautifully maintained heaps of junk.

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: FNG ]